SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Blank screen after recording

I recently moved SageTV to a dedicated HTPC. I am currently using version 2.0.17 RC17. In my testing/using process I have come across the following problem. I get a black screen if I try to join a program that was scheduled for recording( by pressing live TV). I can her the sound but there is no picture. If I press up/channel a message appears and ask to confirm that I wish to cancel the recording. If I press info I get the OSD showing the program info.

I am using sage wake to control SageTV as I use Standby mode. The process I use is schedule recording put SageTV to sleep put PC in standby. Next morning the PC is back to life and I assume recording the show I scheduled however when I tried to join the show being recorded I get the black/blank screen as described above. Since I tend to schedule shows for the next day this tends to happen when I am not present. I will do additional testing to try and see what is going on. A file is recorded to disk which I tried to play and just got the blank screen. If anyone has a suggestion as to what might be happening I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
HTPC(self built dedicated )/SageTV 7.1.8 Beta /SG01 Silverstone Case/ Intel Dual Core Q6600/ Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H mATX MOBO 2GB RAM /WD 300GB SATA Drive/HD-PVR, Sage HD-300, HDHomerun, Nvidia 8600GTS Graphics Card/Windows 7 SP1/USB-UIRT-controlling one SA4250HD STB's/Harmony 700 Remote.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Sage Icon

I bet you are using overlay and the white text over video. I get the same problem periodically. If you turn off the option (unfortunately I am not at home but its just above 3d acceleration in detailed setup and says somethign about color) It will fix it. Then hit the live video button. go back to setup and reenabel it to get the white text over video working again.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have had similar problems (using overlay) and ended up with a black screen with sound. Last night, I had Sage Client crash on me, and after I started it back up again, I couldn't get any video using overlay, just audio. Switching to VMR give me the video back again, but I prefer to use overlay. I don't want to have to reboot every time this happens, because I generally have something recording with SageRecorder on the same box.

I've also found that I have the black-screen (or blue-screen) problem trying to play videos in Zoom Player (also using overlay) after I've used Sage. It's annoying the wife and she wants to go back to BTV
Old 04-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Sage Icon

turn the setting I mention on and off and your video will come back.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

turn the setting I mention on and off and your video will come back. Either that or disable 3d acceleration, that will do it also.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for all the replys. I tried to duplicate the problem when I got home and could not. I put the system into stand by with schedule recording and did that three times. each time it worked without a problem, Before I did the three test I check the 3D setting and it was disabled. I would have bet 20 bucks that that setting was previously set to enabled. So I enabled 3d accl to see if it would cause the problem. It did not. again when I check 3d was changed to disabled. So Sage is turning it off after I turn it on. The fourth try broke it and gave the following error messwage "there was a MPEG2 video error in the playback. Details. failed connecting video stream to the overlay mixer error code=0x80040217.. Also now the osd is no longer transparant but is solid blue although it does not take up all of the screen so you still see video behine it.

At this point i don't know what all this means except we are dealing with bata software and can expect this kind of stuff. I am sure if I reboot everything will come back normal. that its for now.
HTPC(self built dedicated )/SageTV 7.1.8 Beta /SG01 Silverstone Case/ Intel Dual Core Q6600/ Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H mATX MOBO 2GB RAM /WD 300GB SATA Drive/HD-PVR, Sage HD-300, HDHomerun, Nvidia 8600GTS Graphics Card/Windows 7 SP1/USB-UIRT-controlling one SA4250HD STB's/Harmony 700 Remote.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

After additional testing it seems that the system coming our of standby mode ( in my case) was actually fooling me into thinking that their was no picture or sound. It seems that when I schedule a recording and the systems wakes up to record it its in a mode where recording takes place however there is no picture or sound going to the TV. I was trying to use the remote to get video by pressing live live tv button. This is when I would get the error message. However if I first completely woke the system up by using the mouse everything would be fine., assuming I had not tried to use the remote. So I guess it is an issue of procedure although I still think something is not quite right here. In other words I guess I can live with it.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Sage Icon

heh heh, thats how xp wakes up from stand by. You have to hit a key or use the mouse to wake it up. I have 2 systems, a shuttle and an m10000. The shuttle wakes up fine and has no issue. The m10000 wakes up and allows you to activate sagetv. When I watch something it shows as a black screen until I do the above. This only happens about 20% of the time though.