SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

Ripped Bluray not playing the right audio track

Can the decoder or code on the HD 200 be changed?

I have movies I ripped from blurays and the only tracks available are those with extra features or other languages. I can play the same file with VLC and I can play the proper audio track. The problem is I can't get the "good" track to play with the HD200. I tried ripping everything again with only that track and still no dice. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Neil
Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

the HD200 doesn't decode DTS. And probably never will (I think it's a licensing issue or something). The main track on BluRay's are almost always DTS-MA, which is why it won't play. If you are outputting to a surround receiver, it will still pass the DTS stream, but if you are using the stereo RCA outputs, it will not. The 'easy' way to fix this on rips is to convert the DTS track to AC3 (or at least add an AC3 track). If you are ripping to MKV (MakeMKV works REALLY good for this), there's a tool to automatically add the AC3 tracks. There are also some rip programs that will do it themselves, if you choose.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

So how does VLC support it if it is a licensing thing?

How does one convert that track to AC3?

Thanks!

Neil
Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

VLC, being open source, can get away with a lot more... there'd be no 'entity' to sue over licensing issues. Same thing on a PC based client, you can use ffdshow decoders (also open source) to get full DTS-MA, TrueHD, etc decoded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
So how does VLC support it if it is a licensing thing?

How does one convert that track to AC3?

Thanks!

Neil

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the info but how do I go about converting the audio track?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I think ClownBD has that capability, though to be honest, I've never used it. (don't have an extender, myself).

Old 07-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

What extender are you using in your master bed? Is it any good? How does it compare to the hd200 in specs I mean? I realize you don't have a hd200 to compare it to. I followed the link in your signature to see your setup.

Thanks,

Neil
Old 07-18-2010, 02:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Oh.. I'm just using an old MediaMVP in there.. but it is almost never turned on... maybe occasionally when my wife is getting ready in the morning, it will be on the local pseudo-news, but that's about it. Pretty much all our viewing is done in the living room, and certainly all our movie watching is done out there. Either way, since BluRays have to be transcoded to play back on the MVP, and since the transcoder sage uses is a modified version of FFMPEG (open source) it DOES decode/downmix/encode DTS to Stereo for the MediaMVP.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
the HD200 doesn't decode DTS. And probably never will (I think it's a licensing issue or something). The main track on BluRay's are almost always DTS-MA, which is why it won't play. If you are outputting to a surround receiver, it will still pass the DTS stream, but if you are using the stereo RCA outputs, it will not. The 'easy' way to fix this on rips is to convert the DTS track to AC3 (or at least add an AC3 track). If you are ripping to MKV (MakeMKV works REALLY good for this), there's a tool to automatically add the AC3 tracks. There are also some rip programs that will do it themselves, if you choose.
"easiest" method, which will pass DTS-MA bitstream to an AVR, is to get an hd300 when they show up in "an month or two"
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
"easiest" method, which will pass DTS-MA bitstream to an AVR, is to get an hd300 when they show up in "an month or two"
not really relevant here, as the HD200 will already pass DTS-core to an AVR. The problem here is not having an AVR.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

I would gladly buy HD300 when they are out. I have a slew of 200's and will ebay them once I get my 300s. I have a bunch of 100's I still haven't sold because I can use them in other rooms for now.

That does sound the easiest but who knows if it will support DTS?

Neil