SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Plugin :: PlayON for v7

Locking down thread, for all futher issues use the new main thread...

This STVi adds PlayON specific shortcuts to the main menu for easy content navigation.
Known Issues/Caveats:
  • All videos streaming though PlayOn are streamed/encoded in real time meaning that they do not download faster than realtime. You can just think of it like a TV tuner for internet video.
  • Can only stream to one extender (HDX00) at a time (multiple full clients work fine).
  • Plugin might not be able to see PlayON UPnP server if you have multiple network adapters or active VPNs.
  • @PlayOn/Netflix - Netflix movies don't start from the beginning and/or the resume from the correct last watched place. See this PlayOn thread for info.
  • @PlayOn - By default PlayOn continues buffering movies after you've stopped watching them, this is particularly bad for Netflix since it results in the watched bookmark being set past where you stopped watching. You can somewhat fix this by disabling Resume Playback in the PlayOn settings, although, its still pretty hit and miss. But if you watch Netflix content in one sitting then you shouldn't have a problem.

Installation:
Available in Main Menu->Setup->Plugins->Available Plugins under the UI Mod tab.

Requirements:
Demo Video

Release History
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DownloadLocation.jpg (77.6 KB, 11150 views)
File Type: jpg HuluUSA.jpg (56.0 KB, 5647 views)
File Type: jpg PlayONMainMenu.jpg (31.0 KB, 12026 views)
File Type: jpg DisableResumePlayback.jpg (95.2 KB, 1614 views)

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 03-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM
SageTVaholic

How to submit a bug:
If you run into any problems with PlayON STVi/UPnPBrowser make sure you...
  • Try multiple different types of videos (Hulu/Netflix/CNN/ESPN/etc.). Genreally, if one type of video plays fine but another doesn't then its a PlayON issue and you'll need to submit it to them.
  • Specify which video(s) you tried that didn't work.
  • Include the LOG FILE (!!!!!!!) which can be found at ...
    Code:
    ...\SageTV\SageOnlineServicesEXEs\UPnPBrowser.log
Troubleshooting:
First of all, 99% of the issues people had with the previous plug-in were actually issues with their PlayON install so please go over their FAQ, Known Issues, and install instructions before you post here. You can also try playing back content via one of their officially supported devices (PS3/Xbox360/HD200 in standalone mode) to verify if your setup is working correctly.

Symptom #1: No content or folders show up for any of the Main Menu shortcuts, including the PlayON one.
This usually indicates that UPnPBrowser can't communicate with PlayON, once you've verified that you're not running into one of the known issues you can check these things...
  • Verify that another one of PlayON's supported devices can see the server (if you don't have another device you can try the UPnP Inspector tool tool)
  • Check to see if you have a PlayON (...).cache file in the ...\SageTV\SageOnlineServicesEXEs\UPnPBrowser\ folder.
  • If you don't see a .cache file, open up a command line and try running this command to see if it generates one (if not, please post the resulting UPnPBrowser.log onto this thread).
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageOnlineServicesEXEs\UPnPBrowser.exe" /mainmenu /serverSearchTimeout 60
  • If you do see .cache files try running this command and post the resulting UPnPBrowser.log onto this thread.
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageOnlineServicesEXEs\UPnPBrowser.exe" /search PlayON:+1

Symptom #2: Videos are showing up, but you get an error when you try and play them
This is usually a PlayON issue, please check to make sure that you're using the latest version. If you are on the latest version, submit a bug to PlayON and they should be able to help.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 06-08-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
SageTVaholic

v1.1 Release Notes:
  • Added PlayON specific shortcuts to main menu easy access to Hulu and Netflix.
  • Added PlayON button to main menu for acess to whole tree
  • Relocated .cache files to go into a folder next to executable
  • Reworked .cache file usage so it'll display/find/use cached servers even if they didn't show up in the server search
  • Cached servers will always show up with their official name rather than the name used to search for them
  • Added .presets file which can be automatically updated to accommodate PlayON changes without having to update STVi.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 06-07-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the great plugin EP! I very much like how ALL my Netflix videos are now displayed and not just the first 50 like before

I know you asked not to bring up issues you already had identified so I apologize if this is something you know about but you don't have it listed above. I'm seeing similar to what was posted in the other thread

Quote:
2) When I bang out to the menu with the uPnP player in this state, my performance navigating around drops significantly - Eye Candy effects drag in a noticeable fashion. I checked the VJM Heap size after playing and it wasn't even on the high end of out of the ordinary. It's not the end of the world - a quick putting Sage to sleep and waking it back up cures it - but if there's a graceful way I can back out of / close out the player, it might make a difference.
Some info for you, going into the the different areas like Netflix and Hulu things are snappy and fast. But, as soon as the first video is played, everything slows down to a crawl within all of Sage (scrolling all the menus, etc.). Sage stays like this until I exit out of Sage and restart. Once you do this, navagating in Sage is back to the normal speed.

If you're not aware of this and need additional info, let me know what I can provide and I'll try to help. Thanks!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Sage Icon

Been using Boxee but am trying Playon again. (Have full license)

Problems with Playon plugin on SageTV Client. (only)

Installed on the SageTV Server v7 and all works well. Netflix and Hulu
Client machine does not have Playon. (Don't think I need it)
It will work fine on the XBOX360

I have a new build on Win7-32 with pretty much just SageTV. It will very quickly come back with "The External Feed Was Empty"

No .cache file found
Attached log.

Any ideas?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent94Z View Post
Some info for you, going into the the different areas like Netflix and Hulu things are snappy and fast. But, as soon as the first video is played, everything slows down to a crawl within all of Sage (scrolling all the menus, etc.). Sage stays like this until I exit out of Sage and restart. Once you do this, navagating in Sage is back to the normal speed.
I've never seen anything like that and that's also not something this plug-in should be affecting. All it does is call a process that compiles a list of PlayON video links, passes that to Sage via stdout, and then dies. Beyond that, the handling of the list and playback are all handled by Sage/PlayON so if there's an issue its either in how Sage is handling/caching the potentially large lists or the progressive download/playback of the MPEG-2 content, i'd submit a bug to them.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
No .cache file found
Attached log.

Any ideas?
See Troubleshooting #1 in the 2nd post and run the command.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 06-07-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Sage Expert

Working great! Thanks for this great plugin!!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Been using Boxee but am trying Playon again. (Have full license)

Problems with Playon plugin on SageTV Client. (only)

Installed on the SageTV Server v7 and all works well. Netflix and Hulu
Client machine does not have Playon. (Don't think I need it)
It will work fine on the XBOX360

I have a new build on Win7-32 with pretty much just SageTV. It will very quickly come back with "The External Feed Was Empty"

No .cache file found
Attached log.

Any ideas?
I was getting the same error message but I'm running Zone Alarm. Even though I was selecting "Allow" and to remember the setting, there was something about the player which made it so Zone Alarm thought that even though I was telling it to allow the program, Zone Alarm would think it was "different" and the pop up would come up again in the background (under Sage screen) and was getting the same message. I went into Zone Alarm and manually configured it to allow the playon exe file to do whatever it wanted. That fixed the "The External Feed Was Empty" message.

Basically, if you have a firewall, the exe file responds a bit different than what I'm used to seeing (normally once I allow a program, it works from there on out) so make sure it isn't your firewall messing with it.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I've never seen anything like that and that's also not something this plug-in should be affecting. All it does is call a process that compiles a list of PlayON video links, passes that to Sage via stdout, and then dies. Beyond that, the handling of the list and playback are all handled by Sage/PlayON so if there's an issue its either in how Sage is handling/caching the potentially large lists or the progressive download/playback of the MPEG-2 content, i'd submit a bug to them.
Thanks, EP. What's weird is I had this plugin installed on an Intel based machine and was seeing this. My motherboard died and reloaded Sage on a new AMD machine and I'm seeing the same exact thing??? My Netflix que list is around 90 DVDs so maybe that is it. I'll try reducing the size of my list and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
See Troubleshooting #1 in the 2nd post and run the command.
Sorry I had already done that but apparently am not bright enough to upload a file.

I should note I tried turning off the firewall.
Attached Files
File Type: txt UPnPBrowser.log.txt (264 Bytes, 772 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I had the same problem today with the "The External Feed Was Empty. It is a playon issue. Once, I uninstalled and reinstalled Playon the issue was fixed.

Although, I'm still having playback issues but that also looks to be a playon issue and tech support is working on it.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Working great. The only thing I noticed was that when selecting ABC shows it lists FOX shows. Selecting FOX shows FOX.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzup View Post
Working great. The only thing I noticed was that when selecting ABC shows it lists FOX shows. Selecting FOX shows FOX.
same here..

Thank you EP!! This is really friggin sweet!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

I might be blind or dumb or both, but I just installed 7.0.10 beta and instead of the usual menu header under available plugins I get:

General Full UI UI Mod Theme Images Library All

Instead of the old STV STVi, etc... and for the life of me I cant find your plugin?!

/Edit nevermind its under UI Mod if anyone else is moving slower than usual today.

Last edited by mr_lore; 06-08-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: dumbness
Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

It's under UI Mod>Playon STVi
Old 06-08-2010, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
same here..

Thank you EP!! This is really friggin sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzup View Post
Oops, good catch. On the plus side this is a perfect opportunity to test out my automatic updates

Just like in the old plug-in all you have to do is view a few PlayON feeds and the problem will fix itself in the background, let me know if it doesn't work.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Oops, good catch. On the plus side this is a perfect opportunity to test out my automatic updates

Just like in the old plug-in all you have to do is view a few PlayON feeds and the problem will fix itself in the background, let me know if it doesn't work.
LOL Fixed!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Sweet! Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

EvilPenguin== the man

very nice
Closed Thread

Tags
hulu, netflix, playon