SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-24-2004, 05:57 AM
Sage User

feature request: default recording padding

Some time ago I asked if anyone had knew of a trick to expand the recording padding by default, no luck.

I tried myself adjusting the epgdata.xml, adding 5 extra minutes to each shows end time. Unfortunately since shows then appear to be overlapping, sage (or the xmltv plugin ?) ignores the show completely.

In Holland most of the shows on the commercial stations are late. When scheduling a recording I find in 9 out of 10 cases I'm missing the end the show.
Adjusting the recording endtime/padding for every recording every time, is becoming a bit silly, and doesn't belong to the hightech, superiour recording device my htpc with sagetv should be, can be and actually is ;-)

A simple(?) line in sage.properties to specify a default recording end-/starttime padding would really be great.

Thanks
Sweep
Old 04-25-2004, 01:42 AM
Sage User

Padding based on description would be great, too! I hate missing the end of my NBA game cause it's in the 2nd overtime. It sure would be nice to be able to pad shows that have 'NBA' in the description. The season is almost over... you should have 3-4 months to get this working.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:06 AM
Sage User

I suppose you could just disable clock sync with the SageTV server and set your PC's clock 5 minutes slow.

It sounds like the most productive thing you could do is contact whomever provides your EPG data and ask them to create better data. It sounds like you have lousy data.

BTW, I don't have an epgdata.xml on my C:\ drive. Where is the program data stored?

Last edited by tbpub2; 04-25-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by tbpub2
I suppose you could just disable clock sync with the SageTV server and set your PC's clock 5 minutes slow.

It sounds like the most productive thing you could do is contact whomever provides your EPG data and ask them to create better data. It sounds like you have lousy data.

BTW, I don't have an epgdata.xml on my C:\ drive. Where is the program data stored?
epgdata.xml is the output from the XMLTV program that is used by ppl outside the US/Canada

surely setting the clock -5 mins would make everything finish -5 mins aswell, not ideal

there is an option to set favourites with default padding so i can see no reason why it should not be available as a default for all recordings, like other pvr software

an example where this is a problem would be inteligent recordings are not assigned padding, manual recordings from the epg are not padded unless you go into recording options and manually change it

Last edited by m1ketuck; 04-25-2004 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:03 AM
Sage User

five minutes slow / five minutes fast whatever keeps you on track.

Are you saying some shows actually run 1:05 minutes and then the next show runs 0:55 minutes? TBS in America used to start on the :05 and :35 after the hour, but it was but each show still lasted a uniform 30 or 60 minutes.

For channels that aren't off-kilter, since you say they are the exception, fix that start/stop padding on a one-off basis.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Sage User

The EPG data is correct.
It's just that some channels don't look to close on exactly when to begin there shows.
Also sometimes live events (sports but others as well) turn out to take longer than supposed. This could push the entire scheduling for the evening a couple of minutes back (or forward).

Just changing the clock doesn't help with the shows that do start on time, though missing the beginning is not that annoying as missing the end of a show.

By padding the recording end-/starttime you get yourself some slack only at the expence of some harddisk space.
Now I find myself changing the recordingoptions for each recording, not really a fancy, high tech, one-touch recording/scheduling.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Sage User

You can save a little bit of effort by setting the padding options for your favorites, under favorites manager.

But then you really are asking to record 1:05 of time, so it's not going to record whatever starts in the next hour, unless I guess you are clever and know for certain favorites to set the compensating start padding.

There's not much you can do for the fact that apparently Dutch TV is "broken" :-)

I have the same problem with sports, but the padding is at least 1 hour. What really needs to happen is a real-time connection to the internet to get JIT epg data :-)

That would be slick!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
What really needs to happen is a real-time connection to the internet to get JIT epg data :-)
hehe, indeed. That would also provide commercial skipping probably ;-)
Old 05-03-2004, 09:38 AM

I'll throw in my 2 cents about this as well...

I have a similar problem using the Comcast Digital feed. It is only about the last 2-3 minutes of the show that is getting chopped off the recording. Not bad for most things, but shows that run right to the end of the hour lose the very ending.

I was thinking about setting my system clock 5 minutes slow to catch this automatically, but hoped that it wouldn't be a long term fix.

What might be un-related is that at the end of every hour there is short period, 15-25 seconds where the screen freezes as, i think, Sage closes the end of the file? Is this normal? ie: I watch the simpsons and at the end of the show Sage locks, then 15-20 secs later resumes right where it left off.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Old 05-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Sage User

Hi
If this happens during live tv or watching something thats still beeing recorded, it is because it starts to record the next program you can see this in the osd.

And I have to agree with sweep that general padding is a must in the netherlands. I also have to pad everything

Peter