SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 05-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Sage Icon

Nook or Kindle

I'm considering getting an eReader and I'm really torn between the Nook and the Kindle 2. Any suggestions to help make the decision.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

I vote for the Kindle.
We bought one for my daughter for Christmas and since then I've played with the Nook a couple of times (since I want to get an ereader, too) and have not seen anything in the Nook that makes me like it better than the Kindle.

Lots of people complain about the proprietary nature of the Kindle ebook format, but it's relatively easy (esp for a tech-savvy SageTv user) to convert other formats to use on the Kindle.

Throw in how easy it is to buy and load ebooks from Amazon, and I think the Kindle is the winner. And, for those Amazon-bought books, the fact that you can start reading on the Kindle and then pick up where you left off when reading using the kindle app for iphone or ipad or blackberry or PC or Mac (or soon Android) or whatever, and you have a seamless reading experience.

And, now that the Kindle is opening up an app-store type of environment, maybe someone will come up with a SageTV app. OK, maybe just for viewing the EPG and setting up recordings.

Mitch
Old 05-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I bought one of the first Nooks before Christmas last year and love it. I was going to buy the Kindle until Barns and Nobile annouced the nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
And, for those Amazon-bought books, the fact that you can start reading on the Kindle and then pick up where you left off when reading using the kindle app for iphone or ipad or blackberry or PC or Mac (or soon Android) or whatever, and you have a seamless reading experience.
Mitch
This concept was on the Nook before the Kindle. In fact Amazon did not even produce a ebook reader software on any device until Barns and Noble did it. Amazon would still had been charging more for the Kindle if it was not for the Nook comming out $40 less then the Kindle.

I am not going to sit here and say the Nook is better then the Kindle, bu I also would not say the Kindle is better then the Nook. I do enjoy the book store experiance and when I go to Barns and Noble I bring my Nook with for the free wifi and in store context that can only be received at a store.

The last version on the Nook has games and a web browser that can be used when you are connected via WiFi.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
I'm considering getting an eReader and I'm really torn between the Nook and the Kindle 2. Any suggestions to help make the decision.
Excellent question

We have 2 Kindle's (standard 6") in the house. One for MrsGeekTonic and another was a hand-me-down, slightly older version we gifted to the college-age daughter. I am using a iPad (with Kindle app) myself although I find it inferior as a novel-type reading device (it's a great multi-purpose device though).

I also reviewed the Nook when it first came out and then sold it on EBay. If you had asked me before the last Nook update I would have said Kindle no question. But I think the last update and the change in pricing (Thanks Steve Jobs ) puts it on more equal footing. Kindle is damn good imo. But the Nook gives you ePub format which you can "borrow" books from the library on which is a very nice feature.

What will you use it for? Is this for reading regular, NYT bestseller sort of stuff, paperback books or something else?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't own either, but I've been leaning towards the Kindle myself. But, whenever I start to seriously look at it I uncover lots of reasons not buy neither

It became quite clear on my recent trip how an ebook reader is not a travel friendly device. I have an ebbok reader on my phone (and I like), but when are sitting on the plane and you can't read it before take off and during landing... you be become really envious of those people that brought a paperback book

The other think that strikes me as odd is that I have to pay more for an ebook that I can't share (easily) with someone else. We buy a lot of books, mostly current paperback books. I usually pay 6.99 a book at costco, but the same books in ebook format cost more?? I can't justify paying more for book when I know that I get the same book for less in paperback
Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

I like my original kindle, but don't like that I can't use my 800+ encrypted mobipocket books on it. There probably is a work around to convert books.
I don't subscribe to newspapers so I don't use the wireless. Love the battery life. My old Treo 60 would only get 8 hours max.
I too hate that in most cases the ebook version is the same or slightly higher price than the print version. I thought ebooks were supposed to be cheaper-there's no shipping, warehousing, printing, etc. The publisher's costs are basically zero for an ebook-just need to pay for a webpage and the download bandwidth.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Sage Icon

I bit the bullet Friday and bought a Nook. I use it for reading books and especially for the Bible. I don't tend to subscribe to magazines and/or newspapers. The final straw was that we don't have AT&T within 30 miles of my house so the 3G is useless. The Nook has wireless and that tipped the scales. I love the touch screen and the built-in games (I'm a sudoku addict).
Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been on the fence for these for a little while now, looking to buy my wife one but as I learned their charging more for digital data then real print, not sure how that makes sense?? Sounds like greed to me and may help me make up my mind for neither....
Old 06-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage Expert

I have been leaning towards an Ipad, but now that Nook has a free 3g, I am now leaning toward that. I will probably pick one up for my mother as well.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Sage User

For what it's worth...

I have an iPad and have purchased books both on the Kindle iPad reader as well as iBook. Both interfaces are very usable and after a few minutes I was able to forget I was using an electronic device reading a book.

I have a WiFi iPad and have pointed AirVideo at my Sage directories and can watch videos from there (it does MKV & MPG & TS transcoding on the fly) as well as an RDP client to remotely view my WHS/SageTV master device.

I also have loaded several videos on it as well as pictures, music, games, news readers, etc. Dropbox works really well on it to synchronize desktop files.

It costs more but has more to offer. I look forward to Android-based devices coming out that convince Apple that there's competition so that more functionality comes out for both devices & prices drop for everyone.

BTW, I'm not employed by Apple nor do I sell Apple products or iPad/iPhone apps (though I'm thinking about it).
L
Playback: HD100, HD200, HD300, Mac Extender, MediaMVP
Customizations: Comskip, Dirmon2, MediaShrink (with HB .95), & ccextractorwin