SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

View Poll Results: I would be interested in a.....
Placeshifter v7 for OSX 67 37.22%
Client v7 for OSX 56 31.11%
Placeshifter v7 for Iphone/Ipod 83 46.11%
Placeshifter v7 for Ipad 78 43.33%
None of the Above 39 21.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
Let's not debate the number but lets look at it from this perspective.

1. It's java. The development on mac is much smaller than say Microsoft Office on windows vs osx.
Why not, it is relevant. As a company, you prioritize your resources toward what will bring the most return. Undeniably that is A windows based solution.
With regard to java, it is not a huge task but still something that has to be done by someone, someone getting a paycheck from Sage. I assume they will do it, but my guess is they will wait till their bread and butter product is out of beta, then port that code over. As for development time, yes it's exponentially smaller, but so are Sage's resources and its possible return on investment.

Quote:
2. When I bought the product it supported osx. When I upgraded to 7 no one said osx was no longer supported.
Technically, you cannot buy the v7 product yet. If you are buying a license from Sage it is actually v6.6 license that will work in Version 7. My upgrade license says nothing about being for V7, nor does the website say v7. That being said, the beta announcement suggests that mac users will not have to pay an upgrade fee for version 7.

"VERY IMPORTANT!!! UPGRADE PRICING
Some licenses will require an upgrade fee to function in Version 7. Here's the rules:
1. Mac and Linux licenses do NOT require an upgrade fee"

Just to make myself clear, I am not saying that SageTV will not or should not make a Sage 7 server version their product for OSX, only that it will most likely come after, and be a port of, the Golden code of the windows product (look at it this way, most of the serious beta testing will already have been done for you )
Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
When I bought the product it supported osx. When I upgraded to 7 no one said osx was no longer supported.

Neil
I don't think anyone from SageTV has said that the Mac version for 7 is no longer supported. It's just not available yet and will be available later. And they won't be providing an ETA. And SageTV v7 isn't even released yet either. It all takes time. If you want an all Mac solution then continue running v6.6-the released version.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

I was responding to the comment above my response to the person who said I should be lucky that someone has a soft spot at sage for osx...

I guess I am happy about that but I bought the product to work with my mac laptop at times.

Neil
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 AM
SageTVaholic

The pure Mac product developement has almost always lagged behind the Windows/Linux development. For v7 it is no different.I just don't understand why all the hub-bub, bub? With most of the leg work for bugs being done, when the Mac version is available there will be less chance of a Sage bug in the release. (You'll still probably have to work thru Mac-specific bugs though. Just as before.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I was responding to the comment above my response to the person who said I should be lucky that someone has a soft spot at sage for osx...

I guess I am happy about that but I bought the product to work with my mac laptop at times.

Neil
Maybe I should rephrase. I didnt mean to imply that Sage was doing you or mac users a favor. Mac customers are customers like any other. Money is exchanged for a product and of course you have every expectation for that product/service to work as advertised.

I merely meant to say that small businesses don't normally have the resources to put out a product on multiple platforms but because someone at sage obviously uses/enjoys OSX that they were making the extra effort to have a product for that platform.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yeah I am a business owner and I understand completely their perspective. I am not even that upset and rarely use my mac clients. Mostly for testing than anything else. It would be nice to get a little note here or anywhere saying there will be support down the road or perhaps make the 6.6 client compatible (probably impossible). I am mac client not mac server in terms of sage usage fyi.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_l View Post
I merely meant to say that small businesses don't normally have the resources to put out a product on multiple platforms but because someone at sage obviously uses/enjoys OSX that they were making the extra effort to have a product for that platform.
As we are talking about hard business reasons I really don't think that we should assume a 'soft spot for OSX' as the reason for the Mac version. There are any number of TV & Media Center applications for Windows but very few for Macs. In fact the only TV application that I know of for OS X is Elgato's Eye TV. So on the Mac Sage has the possibility of a chunk of a smaller market but with less competition.

Depending on how you count it Mac market share of desktop systems is around 6-10% while Linux has under 2%.

Last edited by MCE-Refugee; 07-10-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_l View Post
"VERY IMPORTANT!!! UPGRADE PRICING
Some licenses will require an upgrade fee to function in Version 7. Here's the rules:
1. Mac and Linux licenses do NOT require an upgrade fee"

Just to make myself clear, I am not saying that SageTV will not or should not make a Sage 7 server version their product for OSX, only that it will most likely come after, and be a port of, the Golden code of the windows product (look at it this way, most of the serious beta testing will already have been done for you )
But Sage 7 server is not a Windows product. It is a Windows & Linux product with beta versions of the various flavours (Placeshifter etc) being released at the same time.

BTW it appears that it is only the Windows V7 Server product that requires purchase of an upgrade licence :-
Quote:
Placeshifter and Media Extender licenses do NOT require an upgrade fee
3. SageTVClient licenses do NOT require an upgrade fee

Last edited by MCE-Refugee; 07-10-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim View Post
Just a reminder, do not forget the OSX clients. Also and Iphone o Ipad client would be nice.
Dear SageTV,

If forgetting the Mac versions and iPhone/iPad versions will mean that the Windows and Linux versions can get some new features quicker like a better media/music library, more integrated/supported online tools like Netflix or any of the myriad of reasonable expectations from the overall community. I for one am all for forgetting the OS X client. The Linux and Windows markets must garner far more sales than the latter.

Additionally, I can't imagine any iHead thinking that SageTV was a usable UI for their shinny polished systems.

Besides, any true Apple Fanatic must be more than satisfied with AppleTV. After all Apple does absolutely everything perfect.

Ooops, I better put on my asbestos underwear now.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have to agree with Gerry here. While it's a bit disappointing not to have a native OS X beta of v7, we are talking about just that. . . A beta.

Just relax. It'll come out when it's ready. I for one would rather wait than jump on something not quite up to par.

And to nyle. Don't be snotty. If you want to instigate some kind of Mac v. PC debate, there are plenty of other forums where you can hash that out. It's boring.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Sage Expert

Mac Version?

Any news on the Mac version?

Thanks,
Jeff

* merged *
Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

I added a poll to this topic, to see the type of interest in OSX clients

BTW... no Flames wars on which is better OSX / Windows / Linux .... I personally actively use all 3 and they all have thier strong points and thier week points...

Last edited by Nadim; 07-19-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I just don't understand why all the hub-bub, bub?
Don't you think it's important to tell Sage that we are waiting for it?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I just don't understand why all the hub-bub, bub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Don't you think it's important to tell Sage that we are waiting for it?
No.
What-do you think they all for a sudden forgot they have another OS to develop for? And I already posted my reasoning. Here' some more:
1)Mac development has almost always trailed the Windows and Linux development time frame.
2)It's the beta cycle. Sage is a small company with limited resources (not a Microsoft)and have to make intelligent business decisions for the priority of development vs. revenue stream. Same reason you don't see an Android\Blackberry\Windows Phone\PS3\Wii Sage client. Very limited resources and revenue stream.
3)If the bugs and issues are squashed during the beta cycle for the core product then the OSX pieces can only be so much better. A plus for all you OSX crowd waiting for this.

And just to be realistic, you may not even see the first OSX update cycle until after the release. Who knows? You can't make everyone happy. That's why Sage really doesn't throw any dates out there in case they can't hit them.

Seriously-Sage didn't forget about OSX development.

Gerry
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
..1) ..2) ..3)
Yeah, I know all that stuff. I mean who doesn't?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

An apple only poll? Seems kinda closed.. but regardless, I'd vote for Placeshifter for Android.. ;-) And I'd probably be more likely to get my wish granted by sage...

I WOULD like sage to perhaps publish the Placeshifter protocol.. seems it would make sense, and let the community make the various apps. I mean, the licensing is done on the server..

Now, if you DO want to fix something apple, have them consolidate the licensing system to a single server license, regardless of platform, and a 'client' license, regardless of platform...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'd be more interested in seeing something for Android 2.1/2.2.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
An apple only poll? Seems kinda closed.. but regardless, I'd vote for Placeshifter for Android.. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post
I'd be more interested in seeing something for Android 2.1/2.2.
You probably already know this... but there is already a 3rd party SageTV app for Android. Placeshifter is on the list of possibles for future features too.
I agree though, an official Android app should be on the list of SageTV's to-dos also. I'd just rather see an iPhone/iPad one first being the selfish guy that I am.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, i know about TASage... I've even purchased a license. However, it is nothing compared to what a full placeshifter app would accomplish.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Yeah, i know about TASage... I've even purchased a license. However, it is nothing compared to what a full placeshifter app would accomplish.
Feel free to post feature requests for what's missing...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad