SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

OSX SageTV

I bought a Macbook Pro with OSX a few months ago, and I must say that I am about to switch all the way to OSX in a few weeks. As soon as the new Mac Pro Towers are out, I will replace my desktop system as well.

The only system that will still run Windwos will be my Sage Box. I think it would be a good move to also offer an OSX version of SageTV, especially with the Mac Mini available. (I also heard a rumor on some news site that they are working on this. Have you heard about that?)

However, Mac users are very spoiled when it comes to the graphic presentation of their programs, and SageTv doesn't really look that cool out of the box. I think it would be a smart move to make SageTV look more like FrontRow on OSX (kind of like EyeTV did but with all the nice features of SageTV)

I think an OSX version of SageTV with an updated look and feel would kick ASS!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

It certainly would sell a lot... as FrontRow is basically AssInABox. I would much rather run a MacMini HTPC than a big-massive-pc-htpc that I am now... but Sage won't run on OSX (too bad, as OSX rules... the sleep function alone is far superior to windblows).

But alas... it will never happen, seeing Sage come out for OSX...
Old 08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well the problem with front row as is on a mac is that it's not capable of recording TV. I think if SageTV would be available and would look more MacIsh a lot of people would be interested. As of right now EyeTV seems to be the only serious TV software on a mac. SageTV features are far advanced, however, Sage would need a more Mac look to appeal to that group.

I'd certainly buy it.

PS: And yes, I LOVE the sleep mode on my Macbook Pro: Close Lid - Sleep. Open Lid - Continue working. NICE!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Sage Expert

I too am a Mac-head and would give my left nut for an OSX Sage product. Alas, the numbers probably aren't there for Frey to justify the work needed to code & support it.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Sage Expert

Would a mac MINI work? How many tuner cards could you get in that thing? Or would they all be external usb cards? If so, that sorta defeats the whole MINI aspect.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, there are already some "mini-style" firewire and usb additions that basically look like a second thinner mini that sits under the mini itself. Still very 'mini' in size, noise, and heat generation. I would imagine a tvtuner maker would have to make one of these mini-esque type additions.

But, like ikarus mentioned, its a cost vs numbers issue. HTPC's are already a very SMALL market on the PC side, I couldn't imagine the market on the Mac side.