SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Sage Icon

PlayOn Premium vs Basic

Anyone else get this email? Wondering what folks are doing. I didn't even notice the premium content, guess I gotta pay closer attention to that SageTV screen to see if it even has it on there.

Quote:
Hello PlayOn Customer,

There are some exciting changes coming to PlayOn. We wanted to take a moment of your time to review those changes with you and make clear what will happen over the next few months. PlayOn is launching a new product (called "PlayOn Premium") which will be sold for $39.99 for the first year and $19.99 per year thereafter (annual subscription plan). In conjunction with this, we will no longer be selling the current version of PlayOn to new customers. BUT, as a current customer that has already purchased PlayOn, you do not need to buy anything new. The PlayOn you have today will continue to work, continue to be supported, and require you to spend no more money. Your version of PlayOn (which we are calling PlayOn Basic) will continue to have all of the content you currently have with one exception: the beta versions of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report will be moved into the Premium version of the product when we launch full Comedy Central support in May. We released that portion of The Comedy Central content channel early (in beta) as a way to temporarily accommodate our customers after Hulu dropped those shows. We want to thank those of you that provided feedback and helped us to expedite a more stable version of this content channel.

As an early customer of PlayOn, you will have the opportunity to upgrade to PlayOn Premium at a Founding Member discount. If you OPT to move to PlayOn Premium, you will get the new Comedy Central channel, NHL channel , PBS, TV.com, and the many new content channels we plan to release during the coming year. As a Founding Member, you can get your first year of PlayOn Premium for only $4.99 (regularly $39.99). You will then be billed $19.99 after 12 months for your second year (and each year thereafter). You will need to continue to stay current on your subscription for PlayOn Premium to continue to work. If you opt not to renew your subscription after the first year, you can simply re-enter your original license code and return to PlayOn Basic (the same product you have today). It will continue to work and still support Hulu, Netflix, CBS, CNN, ESPN, YouTube, Amazon VOD and all of the channels it supports today (excluding Comedy Central). We want to stress that upgrading is 100% optional. You do not need to pay us another cent, and your PlayOn Basic will continue to work, but you will not receive future content channels.

As a PlayOn Basic customer, you will have access to previews of the Premium content between May 20, 2010 and July 15, 2010. These content channels will be marked (Premium Preview), and will give you a taste of PlayOn Premium. If you have not upgraded by July 15th, these Premium channels will disappear from your PlayOn. There is nothing for you to do prior to July 15th. You will be getting everything that PlayOn Premium subscribers get until July 15th. After July 15th, you will need to purchase an upgrade to continue to receive the Premium channels.

So in summary:
  • PlayOn is moving to an annual subscription plan, called PlayOn Premium.
    Existing customers can keep the PlayOn they have today without paying any more money. All current content channels will continue to work and be supported for the life of the product (excluding the Daily Show and Colbert Report).
  • Existing customers (anyone who purchased prior to May 20th, 2010) will be given the opportunity to upgrade to PlayOn Premium for $4.99 for the first year.
  • Existing customers that upgrade can return to their current version (PlayOn Basic) after a year or be renewed at $19.99/year.
  • As an existing customer there is nothing for you to buy yet. We’ll let you know when upgrades are available (some time in early July).
  • As an existing customer, you will be able to watch ALL of the Premium content until July 15th, 2010 when you can choose to upgrade or not. If you do not upgrade (for $4.99), the Premium content channels will disappear from your version of PlayOn.
  • As of May 20th all new customers (not you) will be required to purchase PlayOn as an annual subscription and pay an annual subscription fee for the product to continue to work.
Thanks again for your support. Exciting times are ahead for PlayOn and we’re glad to have you along for the ride.

Cheers,
The PlayOn Team
* merged *
Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
Anyone else get this email? Wondering what folks are doing. I didn't even notice the premium content, guess I gotta pay closer attention to that SageTV screen to see if it even has it on there.

* merged *
Yes, its the same information that is in the press release. I picked up a license just because it was 20$ and may use it someday. I use DirecTV right now so I don't get really any use from this at the moment.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

PlayOn Premium Email

Just received this email and wanted to share. If it is old news, please disregard. Also, the bold is from the email...not me....

---------------------------------------
Hello PlayOn Customer,

There are some exciting changes coming to PlayOn. We wanted to take a moment of your time to review those changes with you and make clear what will happen over the next few months. PlayOn is launching a new product (called "PlayOn Premium") which will be sold for $39.99 for the first year and $19.99 per year thereafter (annual subscription plan). In conjunction with this, we will no longer be selling the current version of PlayOn to new customers. BUT, as a current customer that has already purchased PlayOn, you do not need to buy anything new. The PlayOn you have today will continue to work, continue to be supported, and require you to spend no more money. Your version of PlayOn (which we are calling PlayOn Basic) will continue to have all of the content you currently have with one exception: the beta versions of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report will be moved into the Premium version of the product when we launch full Comedy Central support in May. We released that portion of The Comedy Central content channel early (in beta) as a way to temporarily accommodate our customers after Hulu dropped those shows. We want to thank those of you that provided feedback and helped us to expedite a more stable version of this content channel.

As an early customer of PlayOn, you will have the opportunity to upgrade to PlayOn Premium at a Founding Member discount. If you OPT to move to PlayOn Premium, you will get the new Comedy Central channel, NHL channel , PBS, TV.com, and the many new content channels we plan to release during the coming year. As a Founding Member, you can get your first year of PlayOn Premium for only $4.99 (regularly $39.99). You will then be billed $19.99 after 12 months for your second year (and each year thereafter). You will need to continue to stay current on your subscription for PlayOn Premium to continue to work. If you opt not to renew your subscription after the first year, you can simply re-enter your original license code and return to PlayOn Basic (the same product you have today). It will continue to work and still support Hulu, Netflix, CBS, CNN, ESPN, YouTube, Amazon VOD and all of the channels it supports today (excluding Comedy Central). We want to stress that upgrading is 100% optional. You do not need to pay us another cent, and your PlayOn Basic will continue to work, but you will not receive future content channels.

As a PlayOn Basic customer, you will have access to previews of the Premium content between May 20, 2010 and July 15, 2010. These content channels will be marked (Premium Preview), and will give you a taste of PlayOn Premium. If you have not upgraded by July 15th, these Premium channels will disappear from your PlayOn. There is nothing for you to do prior to July 15th. You will be getting everything that PlayOn Premium subscribers get until July 15th. After July 15th, you will need to purchase an upgrade to continue to receive the Premium channels.

So in summary:
PlayOn is moving to an annual subscription plan, called PlayOn Premium.
Existing customers can keep the PlayOn they have today without paying any more money. All current content channels will continue to work and be supported for the life of the product (excluding the Daily Show and Colbert Report).
Existing customers (anyone who purchased prior to May 20th, 2010) will be given the opportunity to upgrade to PlayOn Premium for $4.99 for the first year.
Existing customers that upgrade can return to their current version (PlayOn Basic) after a year or be renewed at $19.99/year.
As an existing customer there is nothing for you to buy yet. We’ll let you know when upgrades are available (some time in early July).
As an existing customer, you will be able to watch ALL of the Premium content until July 15th, 2010 when you can choose to upgrade or not. If you do not upgrade (for $4.99), the Premium content channels will disappear from your version of PlayOn.
As of May 20th all new customers (not you) will be required to purchase PlayOn as an annual subscription and pay an annual subscription fee for the product to continue to work.
Thanks again for your support. Exciting times are ahead for PlayOn and we’re glad to have you along for the ride.

Cheers,
The PlayOn Team
---------------------------------------------

* merged *
Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

I see that PlayOn is now offering a premium service that requires a yearly fee.

"If you OPT to move to PlayOn Premium, you will get the new Comedy Central channel, NHL channel , PBS, TV.com, and the many new content channels we plan to release during the coming year."
Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
I see that PlayOn is now offering a premium service that requires a yearly fee.

"If you OPT to move to PlayOn Premium, you will get the new Comedy Central channel, NHL channel , PBS, TV.com, and the many new content channels we plan to release during the coming year."
I know the supports will say its cheaper than cable, but it still requires something else to parse and view the streams. I'm not sure I will spend $20 a year on it. Even with the $4.99 special for early adopters! It shouldn't bother me, but something about that software model does.
Win7Pro, SageTV v6.6, SageMC, Intel E6850, 2048MB DDR2, , ATI4750, LG BR/HDVD/DVD-Rom,1xHDHR, 1xPVR-1600 (1x DirectTV , 1x Comcast Analog Cable, and 3x OTA Digital), USB-UIRT, and Harmony 300 Remote + 1 MVP Extender + 1 PC Client.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Sage Icon

[Soapbox]

Personally I don't understand why these "PlayOn Premium Pricing" threads are being merged into this thread which is about Playon being on sale for $20 til the end of the month.

Clearly the two are related, but also very different in nature.

Unless the title of this thread is changed, we are going to continue to have new threads created about the pending Playon Version. I don't think having "and their email" in the title of the thread is discriptive enough to prevent new posts from being created in the future.

Would the world really end if we have two separate threads- each specific to a topic? 1) Playon sale (with notice of pricing difference so potential buyer understand the implications) and 2) Playon New Pricing Structure

[/soapbox]

Carry On!
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 04-29-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ng00se30 View Post
I know the supports will say its cheaper than cable, but it still requires something else to parse and view the streams. I'm not sure I will spend $20 a year on it. Even with the $4.99 special for early adopters! It shouldn't bother me, but something about that software model does.
I too think I will pass this up. They sit here and advertise "for life" license, and then go and do something like this. Sure, we still get what we paid for...but will never get any new content channels, and the ones we have may start to dwindle. I think in the rare cases I need to view something online that is not in the basic playon, I'll just pull up IE and maximize it.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Personally I don't understand why these "PlayOn Premium Pricing" threads are being merged into this thread which is about Playon being on sale for $20 til the end of the month.
Well, maybe I'm confused about the info, but your own reply at the start of this thread (post #3) about the premium info indicated to me that it all belonged together. I thought I was just following your lead... ??

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Well, maybe I'm confused about the info, but your own reply at the start of this thread (post #3) about the premium info indicated to me that it all belonged together. I thought I was just following your lead... ??

- Andy
What...following me? Take could take you to some very bad places

Personally, while I think it is important for potential Playon purchasers to know about the impending pricing changes (and hence why some sort of annoucement belongs in this thread), I think there is also a need for existing playon users to discuss and "vent" about the upcoming changes in their own thread.

I guess when you boil it down, there are some new users looking for a deal, and some old users wanting to discuss the pricing changes. Hence two topics IMHO.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

OK -- I thought it was all related based on the previous posts. The topics are split now.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

With the addition of the Premium tier they are actually removing content from Basic. I wonder if this trend will continue, with content slowly migrating to Premium as they try and work more broad content deals.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Would the world really end if we have two separate threads- each specific to a topic? 1) Playon sale (with notice of pricing difference so potential buyer understand the implications) and 2) Playon New Pricing Structure
In fact the new pricing structure is being discussed in the PlayOn plugin thread as well. So that puts us one thread closer to the apocalypse.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would have gladly paid the special 19.99 for "life" - if i got a year out of i'd be happy - IF the blasted thing worked reliably. I mainly wanted it for HULU and HGTV but now HULU's pulling crap with the subscription BS. I'm getting sick of all the nickle and diming everyone is doing these days. It all adds up. That's why i'm eliminating recurring expenses wherever i can.

I've been running the latest playon software under a virtual machine and capturing the URLs which i then use a download manager to save the MPG files which i then copy to my SageTV server. It's ugly but at least it works and while i'm sitting at my computer i can let it run and capture several shows at once. I haven't found another way to get the actual URL of the stream other than through a UPnP server like playon. After the two weeks is up, i revert back to the clean snapshot and start again. sigh....

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 04-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
With the addition of the Premium tier they are actually removing content from Basic. I wonder if this trend will continue, with content slowly migrating to Premium as they try and work more broad content deals.
They also seem to be discouraging fixing plugins like SyFy, due to SyFy support supposedly being added in the core of the new subscription product.

Drew
Old 04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Sage User

If HULU adds subscription fees why not just go directly to the network's site and look up the show you are looking for. I know its a bit more cumbersome, but its a workaround if you do not want to pay the fees.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
In fact the new pricing structure is being discussed in the PlayOn plugin thread as well. So that puts us one thread closer to the apocalypse.
I've done my part to save the world by moving those posts here too. No point in standing around different water coolers to talk about the same thing.

- Andy
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe I'm one of the few that doesn't think this is a big deal. I will gladly pay PlayOn $20 a year for their service. I don't even use it that often but I have been impressed with their customer service and the way they have tried adding new features. It is really more of a backup for me if I miss any of my network shows and I think it would still be worth it for that price.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

If I could play everything right out of the box from Playon on my extender, I probably would be willing to upgrade, with all the extra work for it though, probably not at this point.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
If I could play everything right out of the box from Playon on my extender, I probably would be willing to upgrade, with all the extra work for it though, probably not at this point.
Indeed. With the amount of time I spent putting together a windows VM to run this on my Linux server, then writing a pod-catching script so I could import the videos to play on my HD100, and then mucking with it every few weeks when it broke, I should really have spent the time learning how to use rtmpdump/rtmpsuck/etc.

Drew
Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

In reality, I wondered how long they would offer "free updates" as it were. However, I don't see an annual fee as the correct model.

Annual fee for something like AnyDVD makes some sense as they pretty much have to make continual updates to keep their program relevant. However, correct me if I am wrong, these "premium" features don't really require PlayOn support do they? Does Play On have to crawl the PBS site or the other premium sites and then provide that information to every computer running play on that calls in for it? Or does the Play On program on your computer just parse the website itself?

I could sort of see asking to pay a one time "upgrade" fee for the "premium" edition, but I don't know about an annual fee.

In any case, I'll have to see just how good the selection is for the PBS version, if it is actually useful I'll probably pop $4.99 for the first year. Doubt I'll pay $20 a year for it though. Netflix was the main reason, whatever is left of hulu is just icing on the cake.

-Suntan