SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

It stream good over wifi on LAN ip address.

Now I am trying to stream it over Internet so I set up port forwarding in my router forwading the port 9250 (my server) and 9261 (my client) both TCP to the SageTV box ip address and entered my public ip in taSageTV but it seem it can't find my SageTV box.

Is there any other ports I need to forward?

Thank you

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 10-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Ientered my public ip in taSageTV but it seem it can't find my SageTV box.
Typically, you need to use some kind of free static IP service (like http://www.dyndns.com/) to have a reliable address to use...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Typically, you need to use some kind of free static IP service (like http://www.dyndns.com/) to have a reliable address to use...
I wanted to use public ip to test it before trying the dyndns ..

It is working somewhat ...

For some reason it keep disconnecting from my SageTV even with good 3G signal in my area.

I would start up taSageTV and it would find the server and client instantly (check mark) then few minutes loses it and no longer connected to it (check mark changing to exclaimation mark) so I have to restart taSageTV to reconnect back to it.

It stream awful and I could barely make out what the video is showing.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

I can't seem to stream outside of LAN for some reason.

I stream perfectly inside LAN but when I go out and use 3G or Wifi elsewhere it connects to my SageTV fine but it give "Video cannot be played" message when I try to stream

I am using Samsung Epic

I am pretty sure I have all firewall opened and correct port forwarded.

Could it have something to do with my vlc string I am using that could be my streaming issue outside of LAN network?

Thank you

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I can't seem to stream outside of LAN for some reason.
Are you also port forwarding the streaming port at 554 (possibly including UDP) or such?
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Are you also port forwarding the streaming port at 554 (possibly including UDP) or such?
Yes both TCP and UDP

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 10-26-2010, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

I also had the same problem on my old Linksys/Cisco N series router. I never did figure out what caused the problem.

Quote:
Yes both TCP and UDP

Bill

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I also had the same problem on my old Linksys/Cisco N series router. I never did figure out what caused the problem.
I managed to find out why I could not get the streaming to work on my phone wifi.

It seem that rtsp streaming need the port forwarded to your phone if your using wifi since it assigns you a private ip addressing and when I set up a port fowarding the streaming to my phone via wifi works.

But the video is very choppy even on wifi so I guess I need to play with the strings some more to improve the streaming.

Bad thing about that is I wouldn't be able to stream using McDonald wifi or coffee house wifi etc since I couldn't access their router to set up port forwarding

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Bad thing about that is I wouldn't be able to stream using McDonald wifi or coffee house wifi etc since I couldn't access their router to set up port forwarding
You forward ports from your internal network to the outside, so once outside your network you have access... The McDonald and Coffee house routers have nothing to do with that, unless you are planning to record from those places and push it to the outside...
Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
You forward ports from your internal network to the outside, so once outside your network you have access... The McDonald and Coffee house routers have nothing to do with that, unless you are planning to record from those places and push it to the outside...

Strange

I could not get any streaming from outside wifi places but if I am on 3G streaming works however it stream poorly and video was choppy.

At my girlfriend house, I connected to her wifi and it wouldn't stream from my home SageTV then I went into my girlfriend wifi router and port forward 554 to my phone ip address and it started to stream but it is choppy just like the 3G.

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 11-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Strange

I could not get any streaming from outside wifi places but if I am on 3G streaming works however it stream poorly and video was choppy.

At my girlfriend house, I connected to her wifi and it wouldn't stream from my home SageTV then I went into my girlfriend wifi router and port forward 554 to my phone ip address and it started to stream but it is choppy just like the 3G.

Bill

I think what was happening is that the ports was firewalled and when I added the port forwarding, it open those ports in the firewall too.

So it made me think I needed to add port forwarding when it actually all I needed to do is to open the port in firewall.

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

how do I use this thing?

So, I downloaded it (and paid for it), installed the varoious parts. It seems to kind of work.

I'm confused on a few points.

I can't stream many types of videos - what is the point? I'm certainly not going to go re-encode hundreds of videos. Sagetv plays them just fine - so should this.

I don't see any way to play or stream music, playlists or view photos.

There is no thumbnails to show the photos.

The navigation to get to something is impossible, folder names are fixed length. By the time I'm 2 folders in I can't see the name - and there is a list of hundreds of them.

So, I like the premise, but this thing is not ready for primetime - very disapointing for $20.

I suppose it is "neat" if you have a library with 50 items, all in mpeg2.

Am I missing something here?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlevey View Post
I can't stream many types of videos - what is the point?
The streaming is kinda out of my hand... The Android OS is not known for its streaming options/performances. Also, I don't own any Android device, so I can't test it myself. Instead I have to rely on users to provide the best way to do it, which currently involves VLC + a random Media player app (some manufacturers provide a better default one than some others). But if you have a better solution, I'm all ears! jreichen did implement Apple's HTTP Live streaming for the iOS devices, which is not supported on the Android platform, but maybe he'll come up with something that works on the Android OS.

Quote:
I don't see any way to play or stream music, playlists
Because it makes more sense to copy your music to a SD card or such and play it from there, than to use your data plan all the time to stream audio...

Quote:
or view photos.
Right, I was never able to figure out how to actually display the viewer after requesting an image. The trick that belzerob and I used for the video just didn't work.

Quote:
There is no thumbnails to show the photos.
That is on the list. Originally I didn't know how to handle them, but the development of my taRIVA offered some hints.

Quote:
The navigation to get to something is impossible, folder names are fixed length. By the time I'm 2 folders in I can't see the name - and there is a list of hundreds of them.
Right, if you're trying to drill down 10-15 levels of folders, that won't work. So instead you should be sorting by Title, Genre or something else. You might be able to start typing the title to limit the matching results.

Quote:
So, I like the premise, but this thing is not ready for primetime - very disapointing for $20.
It's all a matter of usage. Except for the streaming, none of the 2 dozens or so users have brought those points before, so their priorities didn't get elevated...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't see any way to play or stream music, playlists

"Because it makes more sense to copy your music to a SD card or such and play it from there, than to use your data plan all the time to stream audio...
"

Why would I want to need to decide beforehand what I might want to listen to? The whole reason for centralizing all of my media, is specifically so I don't have to decide beforehand what I want to listen to.

I would also not make the assumption this is going over my data plan. I would like to stream playlists onto my droid in the garage over wifi hooked up to my radio with an aux input rather than have to develop a whole house audio system... or into the backyard/frontyard - while I'm mowing the lawn, etc, etc

I also intend on putting this or something like it on an Android tablet and keep it in the house for an easy to use way to stream music or video to a room that doesn't have other options, or to send it to an extender to play. But to achieve this, I have to be able to both stream all forms of media to the device, and to be able to navigate a large library effectively, quickly.

I like the idea of this and what it can/might become. The idea of being able to send media to be played on an extender is very appealing (esp since my extender is switched via hdmi all over the house). The additional option of being a mobile version of sagetv is also very appealing, but it really needs to do it well to be useful.

just my 2 cents
Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

" if you're trying to drill down 10-15 levels of folders, that won't work"

I can see 3 levels of folders. It all depends on the folder name, there is only so much text displayable in that type of a list. transforming a hierarchical folder structure into a list of all the resulting full paths is an inefficient way to navigate.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well I've finally gotten a smartphone and am trying to set up SageTV on it.
I followed all the install steps, but am not getting a connection to either the server or the client. I have previously set up sage to be controlled by CQC, so am familiar with editing the properties file.
Here is what I have:

In Properties file added:
load_at_startup_runnable_classes=sagetcpserver.StartServers
sageTCPServer/clients=local.9250,(my extender MAC address).9260
sageTCPServer/debugOn=true

In the Sage/Jar directory these files:
gkusnick.sagetv.jar
SageTCPserver.jar

I have WIFI enabled on my phone (htc Evo 4)

The correct ip address and port (9250) are assigned in the TASageTV Extender
The correct ip address and port (9260) are assigned in the TASageTV Server
Ports 9250-9269 are opened on my Firewall (bot tcp and udp)

Can anyone see what I am missing? What should I be looking for in the log file to be able to narrow it down?"

Thanks
GM
Old 11-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M View Post
I have previously set up sage to be controlled by CQC
If you are still using SageTV through CQC, then you will need to duplicate the port entries (i.e. local.9250, local.9251), and use the duplicate set in taSageTV (9251/9261). SageTCPServer wasn't built to support multiple connections to the same port... It's on the list, but...
Old 11-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I dont have CQC control on this system. It was on my sons system that I set that up.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Partial success.
I have the server connected now. I had an error in the ip address.

I have triple checked the client though and do not see any errors.

For Name I used Extender1
For Host I used the IP address (192.168.0.70) Confirmed in both SageTV setup and my router.
Port 9260
Old 11-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M View Post
For Host I used the IP address (192.168.0.70) Confirmed in both SageTV setup and my router.
That should be the same IP address as the SageTV server, is it?

Tags
android