SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD100 died. Any HD300 rumors?

Last time I ordered my extender Sage came out with the next version like 2 months later. Since my HD100 just gave out, I'm hoping my timing isn't as "lucky" this time. Anyone heard rumors regarding next the HD Theater?
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7
Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Sage Icon

What are the symptoms? Have you checked out the HD-100 power supply failure thread? If the red led light blinks about 1 every second and/or there is a strange static noise just as frequently, then it should be a simple fix.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm so tired of simple fixes.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Heh, well if you want to hang onto the excuse to upgrade to teh hd200, I'll gladly give your hd100 a nice resting place for you ;-)

In all seriousness, the power supply fix for the hd100 is very simple and worked great for me and my brother-in-law.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:38 AM
Sage Icon

It's not that simple if you don't know how to replace two bad capacitors, soldering skills required. But I did successfully repaired two of my HD-100s even though I have very little soldering skills. So I think anyone can repair it if they are willing to be patient and learn to do it.

The other options is send it back to SageTV and they will repair it for $60 or something like that.

But whatever you decide to do, don't trash it as I'm sure many members will love to have it.

As for a new HD-300, I don't expect SageTV to release any new versions as the current HD-200 is quite capable and probably only require firmware updates to make it better.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
As for a new HD-300, I don't expect SageTV to release any new versions as the current HD-200 is quite capable and probably only require firmware updates to make it better.
And if there were any rumours there'd be a humongous thread about it already.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It's not that simple if you don't know how to replace two bad capacitors, soldering skills required. But I did successfully repaired two of my HD-100s even though I have very little soldering skills. So I think anyone can repair it if they are willing to be patient and learn to do it.
Yeah, I've always been surprised at the number of people doing the repair themselves. It's not just the skills- you need the equipment, otherwise self-repair doesn't look like such a great deal anymore. I work with a bunch of older computer geeks, and I couldn't even find someone with a soldering iron. But, judging from the repair thread, it sounds like 80%+ of the user community have the equipment and skills necessary to perform the repair. I general, I wouldn't expect the HTPC crowd to overlap with the electronics hardware tinkering crowd (or whatever you'd call people have use/have used soldering irons on a regular basis) all that much.

Quote:
The other options is send it back to SageTV and they will repair it for $60 or something like that.
I think its down to $40 now.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

I had a problem with the Hauppauge MVP power supply. The red light was on the power supply flashing. I think the power supplies are sometimes designed too marginally. The fix for the MVP was free. I notified Hauppauge about the bad power supply and a new power supply was sent for free. The only problem was about a week's downtime for that MVP while I waited for the new power supply. Maybe SageTV will send you a power supply for free if the power supply is bad.

Dave

Edit: Repairs would only be free for in-warranty units. for out of warranty repairs by SageTV, see this FAQ. - Opus4

Last edited by Opus4; 04-12-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Point to repair FAQ
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Sage Expert

The HD100 power supply is internal to the unit. The only way to fix it is to replace the bad capacitors (seems like mostly all the failures have been due to bad/bulging caps) or send the unit in to be repaired.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
The only way to fix it is to replace the bad capacitors (seems like mostly all the failures have been due to bad/bulging caps) or send the unit in to be repaired.
Or you can read the other thread which involves a no-soldering fix.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=409606
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

I love that I can not check into the Sage forums for months and generally the same bunch of guys respond to my questions.

Too bad the internet hasn't made it easier to get together for beers.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe SageTV will send you a power supply for free if the power supply is bad.
The HD100's power supply is internal to the unit; it is not an external one. So, you can't just send a new power supply.

The HD100 is only repaired for free by SageTV if the unit is still under warranty. For out of warranty units, the repair policy is stated in this FAQ:

My STX-HD100 isn't working and is out of warranty. Is there a service option?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Sage User

My HD300 rumor

My two cents on the HD300. Feature wise, the HDMI will be upgraded and there will be support for HD Audio, also wireless will be built in. Physically the unit will be sleeker and less of an eye sore. I expect it to roll out with Sage version 7.

Your thoughts????
Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Sage User

If the HD200 unit only has a 300Mhz MIPS processor and the HD100 using a 200Mhz ARM processor as indicated in http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37533, I have my doubts that it will be able to handle a fully functional 3D (or redesigned) UI with all the bell and whistles. I also doubt that Sage will drop the ball and make my HD100's incompatible with the Sage7.

I see them releasing something more powerful and hopefully slicker looking around the same time as Sage7. As for time line, I figured December 2009 but that didn't happen

JM