SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Sage User

Windows 7 (64bit) Incompatible?

Hi all,

I searched for about 15 minutes but couldn't find any answers posted in this forum. I'm hoping you can help.

Here's the setup:

I have a fabulous Asus P6T system setup with a Nvidea GeoForce GTX 295 etc., etc. It's an awesome machine I set up for home use and now I'm using it for HT.

It's connected to a home network with an equally fabulous MacBook Pro with a 1Tb drive externally attached via FW800.

I bought a SDHR200 to get OTA digital TV.

I installed Vista when I set up the system, then three weeks ago wiped out Vista and installed Windows 7 (32 bit).

On both OS's, (so that's twice) I installed Sage TV and did the following:

Set ALL multimedia directories to the shares on the 1Tb drive using SMB.

It didn't take too long (in computer time) to get the whole thing working. There's some tricks, but I found all the answers and it all worked perfectly.

Friday, I decided I wanted to see how well Win7 worked in 64 bit mode in large part because I have 6Gb RAM. So I imaged the 32 bit version, put the image on the 1Tb, and installed the 64 bit version.

That's where the headaches began. Besides the SDHR getting flakey (sometimes stations play fine, sometimes I get nothing - in both the SD software and STV), STV started doing some bizarre stuff.

HERE'S THE MAIN PROBLEM: I cannot connect to my shares WITHIN Sage TV ONLY! I can connect in Windows 7 in every method known to Bill Gates, including mapping (I know you can't use mapped drives in STV), but not in STV.

In Windows, I can see all the shares, copy back and forth from them, the whole 9 yards. But in Sage TV, I can't see them, I can't connect to them. I CAN, HOWEVER, see the Mac in the setup screen where you pick the shares. It shows only the computer (name) and says "No Folders" when you select it. When I "Specify" the shared folders via SMB it merely tells me "The Folder Does Not Exist, Would You Like To Create It?" - I'm paraphrasing. If I say yes, it just gives me another error saying I can't do that.

After putting in over 6 hours on this, I'm ready to wipe out the drive and reload the 32 bit image.

Again, this all worked first time under Vista and Win7 (32 bit).

Anyone know what's wrong?

Lastly, while searching I came across a beta of Sage TV in the forums somewhere which I thought mentioned it was for W764, but now I can't find it. Is it there or am I mistaken? If I'm wrong, is there any guess as to when we'll see a 64b version of STV?

TIA

Mike
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you running the SageTV Server in service mode? If so, what user accound is the server running under? If it is still running as LocalSystem (the default), then it cannot access network shares. It probably isn't a 32 vs 64 bit issue, but more likely you set this up slightly different before (either not using service mode, which ran it in the user context, or in service mode with a user set).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

I know my setup is a little different with a WHS backend and Win7Pro64 client. When I rec'd the message you did, I typed my path with double the quotation marks - \\\\server\\folder and then it found them.

Grant
Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Sage Expert

Do you have the service set up to log in with your user account?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

I use Windows 7 64-bit no issue connecting to the shared resources. I have them mapped as \\Server Name\Server Shared Name in sage. I have them connected as mapped drives in explorer. I've never had any issue on this piece though plenty of other sage quirks...let me know if I can help in any way to trouble shoot. Now I only have all win 7 x64 clients that moved from a variety of XP and Vista x64...my server is Server 2008.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Sage User

Sage running as a service...

Hi again,

I did set up Sage as a Service and changed the account from LocalSystem to the Admin credentials I use - the same account (and password) on both computers. I double checked the account info by wiping it out and reinputting the credentials slowly, so as to not make a mistake in the password, even though it needs to be typed twice.

While setting up windows, I didn't change any permissions on that account when I created it, so maybe I need to change the rights on the account to "Full Control" of the entire computer.

I'll try this \\\\server\\folder later, as I'm not home now.

BTW-In Win7 I changed the network type from "Home" to "Work" but that made no difference, either.

Thanks Fuzzy, OneOfMany, Mitch, and jmv, these ideas give me something to work on when I get home.

Mike
Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

FYI, I have SageTV running as a service also on the server. It runs as the user "Mike" with my credentials. I access it using both "Mike" and also "Anne" (my wife's PC). No issues with either. My account has full access, Anne's account read only. I do remember some issue with setting up the service I believe I had to go into services on the Server edit the service and manually type in the user name and password...but it's been over two years and I don't remember the details...and why I did that...

mv
Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Sage User

You might consider not installing Sage in the \Program Files x86\ folder also. Vista/Win7 can get cranky sometimes sharing folders in there.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmv View Post
I use Windows 7 64-bit no issue connecting to the shared resources. I have them mapped as \\Server Name\Server Shared Name in sage. I have them connected as mapped drives in explorer. I've never had any issue on this piece though plenty of other sage quirks...let me know if I can help in any way to trouble shoot. Now I only have all win 7 x64 clients that moved from a variety of XP and Vista x64...my server is Server 2008.
Same here for my Windows 7 64 client and WHS 2003, only mine works find without mapping drives. I just made sure, at WHS, I setup each target Drive/Directory, i.e., F:\Recorded TV\ as a shared folder, with a name such as "Recorded TV" and with "everyone" access. Then setting them up at client as \\Server\Recorded TV takes me there and solved all my comskip setup issues as well. My WHS is named "Server" hence why my target path is set \\Server\Recorded TV.

By the way, if you run comskip, I found that using Dirmon2 with latest version of Comskip (donators version) works at my WHS. Using Comskip Monitor does not anymore (it used to work before converting client to Windows 7 64). Then setting Comskip Playback 154 as plugin STVi as shown in Geek Tonic link, gets Sage eliminating commercials after they are processed with EDL files through Dirmon2.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit
Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Sage User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMany View Post
I know my setup is a little different with a WHS backend and Win7Pro64 client. When I rec'd the message you did, I typed my path with double the quotation marks - \\\\server\\folder and then it found them.

Grant
I had the same issue with Win 7 64bit as mrbiker and the extra backslashes did the trick for me. Thanks!