SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Feature Request: SageTV-integrated support for editing EPG data

Anyone recording American Idol or 24 on FOX last night has an issue with the preemption by the President's speech. EPG corrections may not arrive in time to catch when these programs will be rebroadcast. A.I. is being shifted a day, apparently, while 24 is to be broadcast Sunday night @ 9pm. These changes may never make it into the SageTV Service Data from Zap2It. At least they hadn't made it late last night.

This all makes things very difficult for SageTV users. One finds that they have to make all sorts of adjustments to the recordings (e.g. setting Manual Timed Recordings). For Favorites (the technique I now rely upon for such shows), I'm stuck with whether or not to Set Watched or not. If I Clear Watched and the EPG gets updated, Favorites will record it for me when it is ultimately broadcast. If the EPG is never updated but I end up watching the program somehow (e.g. thru a Manual Timed Recording), I have no way to Set Watched (though this is an admittedly passive issue).

I know the XMLTV guys deal with this from time to time by simply editing the downloaded XML Data. I guess they have to be sure their "edits" don't get lost by subsequent "automatic" XML Data downloads.

But for SageTV Service folks, it's not possible. And even if one could, the EPG Data is downloaded automatically by SageTV in the background and is not controllable.

All-in-all, integrated EPG is fantastic - when it works. I just don't think non-techy folks will have much patience for when the EPG data is wrong. Nor will they necessarily want to learn how SageTV uses such info in an effort to "fool" SageTV into accomplishing the recordings they desire.

Of course this may all be moot - this time. I just checked Zap2It (the source for SageTV Service's EPG Data) and they have updated the listing for these shows. I just have to cause SageTV to re-fetch the EPG Data in time (by changing, temporarily, the channel line-up for instance).
Old 04-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Administrator

SageTV updates its EPG daily. When is yours listed to update on the System Information screen? If Zap2It hadn't updated their info by then, your EPG wouldn't show the update either. A few other comments on the same thing today suggested forcing an EPG update by going into Channel Setup, remove & add back any channel, then click on Done. That would solve the problem of updateing the EPG for tonight's guide/scheduling.

- Andy

Edit: I think someone suggested a new option/menu item to force a guide update w/o having to go through the remove/add a channel process. Might be a good thing to submit asa request through the bug form...

Edit 2: If it was recorded & is obviosly the wrong show, go to the show's Recording Detail screen & choose "Recording Error".
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 04-14-2004 at 02:40 PM.