SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
For Stanger89 and anyone else with a current pro-level URC remote...

Are the codes in the URC software (CCP or MX-880 Editor) for the HD200 clean (of high quality)? Do you know how they were added?
I don't know how they were added, but they work very well. Only issue I ever have is the nav keys are sometimes a bit over "sensitive" probably a repeat number such setting that could be tweaked but it's rare enough I haven't bothered to search it out.

Quote:
$200 is what I consider "cheap" for a high quality universal remote. Do suppose you have to factor in the cost of the components that are going to be controlled of course. But if you have $2000-$5000 invested in other equipment, I think $200 on a remote is more than reasonable.
Unfortunately the MX880 is a bit more, especially if you want RF

Quote:
I haven't picked up an MX-880 yet, but I've used (and own) a number of other pro URC products, including the MX-700 and MX-850. URC makes solid respectable remotes. The pro models require a lot more knowledge to program than a Harmony, but if you know what you're doing you can easily achieve very nice Activity-based control.
If you know how to think about it though (how to think through what you want to happen during a macro), I think it's actually easier than a Harmony.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeGonge View Post
If you want to go "cheap" I recommend the WR7 universal remote. For under $20 you get...

- Good preprogrammed database
- Full backlight
- Learning
- Macros
- Great ergonomic design
- Good IR signal strength

The drawbacks...
- No DVD Menu button but you can assign one of the extra buttons for that.
- No "Back" key but I taught the "Exit" key to do that.
- No manual code entry, you have to learn from another remote.
- No programming it via PC

I use two of these, one for the main system and one for the HD200. For me it's perfect because now the wife only needs to learn one remote and she's all set!
Based on your recommendation, I purchased (3) WR7 remotes for about $20/ea and am very pleased. They are easy to configure and are controlling my HD200s, TVs, DVD players and A/V receivers. The macro capability is great. As an example, when my wife pushes the AUX button the following happens:
1. A/V receiver is powered on
2. A/V receiver input set to Video 2 (HD200)
3. Remote is set to control the HD200
I also tried including power on commands for my HD200s and TVs in this macro, but because the HD200 and my TVs do not have discrete IR codes for on and off, it resulted in sometimes unintended consequences.

Other great features include macros for power-on, power-off and the "Simple-Sound Punch-Thru." I'm using the latter to ensure that the volume-up, volume-down and mute buttons control only my A/V receiver regardless of which source is selected on the remote.

I was previously using the Philips OEM MCE remote to control my HD200s since I found the button layout on the Hauppauge remote to be lacking. The WR7 is a nice upgrade over the MCE remote and is well worth the $20 price of admission.

BTW, under AUX my WR7's shipped with (2) selectable profiles for Hauppauge. I'm using the 2nd one, iirc the code is 198. Works great; Exit button is preset as "Back." My only change was to tap the learning functionality to configure the yellow favorite button to toggle zoom modes.

I'm very glad not to be considering purchasing (3) $200 remotes as the WR7's fill the bill quite nicely.

Doug
Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by techhome View Post
...I also tried including power on commands for my HD200s and TVs in this macro, but because the HD200 and my TVs do not have discrete IR codes for on and off, it resulted in sometimes unintended consequences.
I love my WR7s. To fix the above problem I program each of the component buttons to toggle ony that device. For example the AUX button macro is set up to pause then HD200 power toggle. This way if the System button is out of sync you can fix it with the component button.
Client Hardware: HD200 x2, INT-422-3 & WR7 Remote
Service Provider: Cablevision (QAM to 2250, SamsungBox to HDPVR)
Old 03-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

I got a wr7, pretty happy with it. I taught the favorite and watched buttons to the extra buttons at the bottom, had to teach the menu button to go back to main, info didn't show info until i taught that... but overall, rather pleased with it. glad i didn't spend 5x as much on a harmony.
1x HDHR (dual tuner) <- Verizon wire
3x HD200 wired latest beta fw
Gig-E wired network
Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeGonge View Post
I love my WR7s. To fix the above problem I program each of the component buttons to toggle ony that device. For example the AUX button macro is set up to pause then HD200 power toggle. This way if the System button is out of sync you can fix it with the component button.
I've added that to my bag of tricks.

My low-end Onkyo receivers have two IR codes for power, but not true discrete ON and discrete OFF. The ON code toggles power and the OFF code switches or keeps the receiver off. I've worked this into several Macros that among other things turn the Onkyo power on. In each case, the macro switches power off first, to get the receiver into a known state.

By the way, the hard copy guide that shipped with my units has two Hauppauge codes, 294 and 295. THe latter works great for the HD200.

Doug
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Sage Expert

It looks like I'm actually going with a URC MX-980 coupled with an MSC-400 to control my home theater.

The MSC, for most components, will be triggered by the remote and will handle all the code transmission itself. That means no having to hold the remote pointed at equipment or in the air at all. The quick RF-based trigger is instantaneous.

The MSC-400 also features a USB port which allows it to act as a keyboard plugged into your device. I'm planning to try this with the HD200 instead of using IR. The hope is it will be more bullet proof and also allow a number of other commands for which (native) IR codes don't currently exist.

To control my PrePro I'll be using RS-232 from the MSC-400 which will also be more bullet-proof than IR and also offers a lot more commands than available with IR, including the ability to set a specific volume level (which will be great for a number of macros).

And stanger, yeah, the either of the remotes on their own is more than $200, but considering how much work they'll be doing, it's justified. I'm spending more than $200 just to put a motorized panel of artwork in front of the TV screen (controlled by the remote). Making it from scratch, but using a robust Somfy motor.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
And stanger, yeah, the either of the remotes on their own is more than $200, but considering how much work they'll be doing, it's justified.
Me? You're telling this to the person who has an MX-880+MRF-350 in the HT and a Digital R50 in the living room (for just an extender and TV).
Old 04-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

WR7

Quote:
Originally Posted by techhome View Post
By the way, the hard copy guide that shipped with my units has two Hauppauge codes, 294 and 295. THe latter works great for the HD200.
It's not clear from the manual for the WR7 - can you use any of the codes for a component or are you stuck with just the ones for that "category"? For example, can you use the Hauppauge "AUX" code for the "Cable/Sat" component?

Also, what does URC have against printing the "standard" letters under the corresponding number button for use with numeric text input. They seem to have some fairly useless additional text on the buttons - what appears to be input selections for an AVR? They don't seem to have letters even on their "high-end" remotes.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Looks like Sony has a new inexpensive universal remote coming out that looks pretty interesting, the RM-VLZ620. Take a look at it here: http://www.remotecentral.com/news/51...uncovered.html
This remote has quality control issues.
It works only for entering codes of other equipment.
It will not learn as advertised.
If you want a learning remote, stay away from this one.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3HY View Post
This remote has quality control issues.
It works only for entering codes of other equipment.
It will not learn as advertised.
If you want a learning remote, stay away from this one.
That's strange, I've been using two of these remotes for a good two months now, and am completely satisfied. I'm not sure what quality control issues you are referring to, I've had no issues with the two that I purchased. As far as learning, it does learn as advertised, I had to "teach" it most of the keys from my HD200 remote. Sure would've been nice if it had pre-programmed codes for the HD200. The main shortcoming for this remote (and all Sony remotes, AFAIK), is that there is no backlighting.

I'm sure I could have gotten a better remote if I had spent more money, but for $20-$25, this one does the trick for me.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls