SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Sage Icon

user share question for unRaid users

I know there are several users on the board that use unRaid with SageTV as I do.

I'm just enable the user shares so that I have a My Movies user and I can see it fine on the server.

SageTV is currently setup to look at all my different drives, as I set this up before user shares came to be. So they are like \\tower\disk2\My Movies and disk3 and disk4, you get the idea.

I would like to replace all those with just one \\tower\My Movies, but last time I checked the only way to get Sage to "move" recordings is to thee the movies in a new place along with the original directory empty.

Has anyone done this change? If so how did you go about it?

I'm hoping I don't have to play rename the directory type games, but if I do I'll go through all that.

thanks,
dave
Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Sage Expert

It's been awhile since I did the same thing, but I believe all I did was add the user share as a recording folder in SageTV, and remove the recording folders for disk1,2,3 etc., in SageTV.

I think SageTV still referenced the old recordings from their original location (I kept the disk shares in R/W hidden mode in unraid) and put new recordings in the user share (I now record to local disk and move the recordings to unraid later), but I think you could force SageTV to "find" them in the new location, after first doing the above, then shutting down SageTV, temporarily setting disk shares to "not exported" in unraid, and then restarting SageTV. I think SageTV should now find the recordings in the "new" user share. Give SageTV another restart, and then you should be able to re-export your disk shares.

Last edited by brainbone; 12-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Sage Icon

IIRC, the TRICK is to have the old path name and the new one exist simultaneously for use by Sage Server. The files can be in either. When the files are all in the new path, the old path can go away.

Gurus: Correct?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Sage Expert

I was under the impression that:

- The recording directories only instruct SageTV where to put new recordings. If you remove the recording directory from SageTV, it will still be able to find the recordings stored there as long as the path to the recordings is still active/accessible. Removing the path from SageTVs configuration should not remove the records already stored on the path.

- If you then make the path to a recording inaccessible (turn of a share, remove a drive, move a recording outside , SageTV looks though the recording directories it currently has on start-up, looking for recordings that may have moved location.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
I was under the impression that:

- The recording directories only instruct SageTV where to put new recordings. If you remove the recording directory from SageTV, it will still be able to find the recordings stored there as long as the path to the recordings is still active/accessible. Removing the path from SageTVs configuration should not remove the records already stored on the path.

- If you then make the path to a recording inaccessible (turn of a share, remove a drive, move a recording outside , SageTV looks though the recording directories it currently has on start-up, looking for recordings that may have moved location.
Good point. My question was not worded properly as all my recording directories are on my server itself. My question should have been about the import directories for my pictures, music and movies.

I think your first post is correct. If I change Sage to point to the new user shares \\tower\My Movies, \\tower\My Music, etc. It will find any new files there and the old files will still be accessed via the \\tower\disk3\My Movies, etc.

I can live with this.

thanks,