SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you want to run 2 antennas on the same coax, I was recommended to look for a "join-tenna". Here is an example: http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Ant...Jointennas.htm.

I was going to use one, but never got around to it.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Sage User

The join-tenna is no longer the best alternative. One of the inputs is for VHF only. With digital television you need both of them to be UHF. A simple splitter in reverse that costs about $5.00 is the best solution. No power required either.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

These guys sell a variety of channels in VHF and UHF. The idea is that your main antenna is untouched and all channels pass through. Then your second antenna will pass only one channel through and filter out the rest it picks up, thereby avoiding possible signal interference/ghosting from overlapping channels on your main antenna.

Indeed it may not be necessary in this case, but without data from TV Fool to determine signal overlap, it is only speculation.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
SageTVaholic

That's why I had asked the OP for his location, to help him determine where the frequency split would be, and if combining is a reasonable option.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Sage User

I ordered a second small directional antenna and a new tuner card. After installing the new tuner card I noticed the one station (PBS) was coming in at 100% on the new tuner card with the old/single antenna.

My guess is the old antenna was picking up some major multi-path that the new tuner card can handle better. (the original antenna is directional, but does pick up some from 180 degrees from where is is pointing (on the back side...). The missing station is pretty much in the opposite direction from the rest.).

I will see how this works for a few weeks. I might not need the extra antenna after all.

Thanks everyone for the help. BTW, I live in the Raleigh/Durham NC market.