SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Watch Videos wirelessly but not QAM TV or recordings?!

I have noticed I can watch videos in media center just fine but when I try to watch live tv or recordings from tv it doesn't work. Is the quality that much higher and unable to stream wirelessly? I have a bunch of apple gear and people have said the apple implementation of wireless is supposed to be poor.

Thanks!

Neil
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Sage Expert

Are you running 802.11G? If so, that'll cause troubles.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

I am running N. I Have to run N because of the iphones needing to be able to connect wirelessly as well. I did turn on just N to see how it would perform and I didn't notice anything better?

Thanks,

Neil
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Sage Icon

Can do standard def with 11g IF signal strength is good and IF you choose channel 1, 6 or 11 where there is not a lot of traffic from neighbors' WiFi. Requires about 6Mbps goodput and 11g can do so.

Can't do HD with 11g, likely not 11n unless you can succeed in using 40MHz channel pairing. Short story: HD means cat5.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
Can do standard def with 11g IF signal strength is good and IF you choose channel 1, 6 or 11 where there is not a lot of traffic from neighbors' WiFi. Requires about 6Mbps goodput and 11g can do so.

Can't do HD with 11g, likely not 11n unless you can succeed in using 40MHz channel pairing. Short story: HD means cat5.
I'm wondering how cat5 is going to fix it though. I've got N working and if I use the same adapter that's plugged into my HD200 on a laptop, it tells me I've got 135-150 mbps. The signal strength on my HD200 shows 90 - 100 % (the wireless access point is in the next room) so I'm pretty sure I'm getting similar throughput on the HD200. Since the HD200 only has a 100mb connection, isn't N actually giving me better throughput?

I'm sure I'm missing something and would appreciate a better understanding. I've actually had fairly good success watching TV (recorded and live) using this, but have seen a few issues when watching Blu-Ray. That was one of the reasons I moved my wireless router - so that I could have a 1GB pipe from my SageTV server to the N+ router with the HD200 just in the next room.

Thanks,
Mike Anderson
Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Sage User

This is a good article explaining why wireless "throughput" really isn't the whole story.

To avoid stutters and drops, the MINIMUM bandwidth needs to consistently stay above a given threshold, and that is most often where people run into problems

Code:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/beamforming-wifi-ruckus,2390.html
That article is what convinced me to buy the Ruckus 802.11 equipment. However it is 5GHz only and doesn't work with the supported 802.11n adapter which is 2.4GHz only.

To get reliable wireless HD we are going to *have* to use the 5GHz frequency, but until there is a supported adapter wireless really isn't going to be an option unless you want to spend the extra cash for bridges at each location.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well I guess I just have to use a 100 foot cat5 in the meantime

Thanks!

Neil