SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Sage User

Video Distribution??

Relative newbie here. I have been searching through these forums to understand how people do video distribution with SageTV. My computer is in my office and my 2 TV's are in different rooms. Apart from have two more computers to stream the video to, is there an easy way to distribute the Video throughout the house? I dont need 2 tuners, the same signal on both with suffice. Ideally this would be done through a wireless network to some "device" that hooked up to the TV. HDTV would be even better, but I wont get my hopes up So what are my alternatives besides running cables (that would be too long)? Thanks for the help!

Eric
Old 04-05-2004, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, the most versitile way is to run SageClient on each display, this will require building computers to act as clients for each TV, you'd just need to install SageClient on the other PCs. This will give you access to the full Sage UI, including EPG, recorded programs, Live TV, video/music library, etc. This will also allow HDTV hopefully once SageTV supports HDTV.

A cheaper solution would be to get Hauppauge MediaMPVs for the TVs. You'd still have access to all recorded programs, but not the Sage UI.

Regardless, you'll need at least 802.11G to stream video, 11B just isn't fast enough. Even with G you'd probably be pushing it running 4 streams simultaneously. Keep in mind you should only expect about 4Mbps with B, 20-30Mbps with G, and that Sage recordings run up to 12Mbps with 6Mbps being the sweet spot and HDTV is 19.4Mbps.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Sage User

Thanks for pointing out the MediaMVP. This is very close to what I want. I have read that Happauge is going to come out with a wireless version but who knows when....

SageTV's GUI is not supported through the MVP? Is this possible? Is Frey thinking about this?

Eric
Old 04-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally posted by ethune
Thanks for pointing out the MediaMVP. This is very close to what I want. I have read that Happauge is going to come out with a wireless version but who knows when....

SageTV's GUI is not supported through the MVP? Is this possible? Is Frey thinking about this?

Eric
This has been asked since the first person on these forums saw it online. Currently, AFAIK it's not in the list of features for v2, which is feature locked at this point. This means that it may be done in the future, or perhaps not at all. Who knows?

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 04-06-2004, 01:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to TunaBoo Send a message via AIM to TunaBoo Send a message via Yahoo to TunaBoo
If at all possible, you really want wired 100mbit. It will do like 15 streams with no skipping

(wifi is cool and all for laptops etc., but in most cases you will have a power plug going to the PC anyway. So running an extra lan cable is trivial, while being more secure, faster, and less prone to error/interferance).
Old 04-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by ethune

Eric
Having my house wired with MVP's is the best thing possible... (Aside from Sage clients...) as they are quiet.

The MVP UI is coded in HTML/Javascript, so the actual display work is being done on the pc. There is a BTV clone 'mod' out for the MVP right now, and with a few changes can be made to have the Sage Icons and so forth.

-Jason