SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Sage User

How would I add a feed for the SyFy (formerly Sci-Fi) PlayOn plugin and keep it updated?

This addon is fantastic :-)
Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueno View Post
How would I add a feed for the SyFy (formerly Sci-Fi) PlayOn plugin and keep it updated?

This addon is fantastic :-)
Why? AFAIK, Hulu already carries all of the SyFy content and is already available in PlayON without the plugin.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Sage User

While that is true, the videos on syfy.com/rewind available through the syfy plugin are a lot better quality than the hulu available videos :-(
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
While that is true, the videos on syfy.com/rewind available through the syfy plugin are a lot better quality than the hulu available videos :-(
While the online video from Syfy may be higher quality than Hulu PlayOn transcodes the video.

I originally tried the SyFy plugin but the quality sucked. For whatever reason the video through PlayOn was stuttery while the Hulu video wasn't. Not sure why. I abandoned it after the feeds were updated to include the Syfy content from Hulu.

Whatever the difference between the two the SyFy transcodes come out bad compared to those from Hulu.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Sage User

Hrm I wonder if that is a problem with the transcodes playon sends sage? looking at the same video through playon via a ps3, hulu vs rewind, the rewind version looks worlds better
Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hrm I wonder if that is a problem with the transcodes playon sends sage? looking at the same video through playon via a ps3, hulu vs rewind, the rewind version looks worlds better
I don't know.

I just went to the SyFy website to see this quality and I have to say I'm unimpressed. The Hulu video is much better looking, at least on the web. Now I understand why the Syfy plugin video was so bad. Syfy doesn't bother to deinterlace their videos. They're full of combing. It all gets worse once the video is transcoded. Which explains the stuttering. Not sure why this doesn't happen with the PS3.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

TVersity CustomFeed

I have been looking into adding some TVersity feeds into Sage, because I would like to get WB content which PlayOn doesn't have.

Working under the assumption that EP's plugin should be able to read the UPnP structure, I followed the same protocol as I would for adding a new PlayOn plugin.

My result was no videos and I think the problem lies in the UPnP device name for TVersity. With PlayOn, we simply use "playon", but TVersity uses Computer Name : TVersity Media Server (SAGETV : TVersity Media Server, in my case) as its name.

Question 1: Is there a way to wrap this with some tags so that it is taken literally, like ^SAGETV : TVersity Media Server$ so that EP's app won't treat them as 2 separate parts because of the ":"?

Question 2: This is basically the same as the first because one of the directory paths is "Intenet, RSS & Podcasts".
Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
SageTVaholic

For any special characters just use a '.' instead.

SAGETV . TVersity Media Server

The '&' is a little tricky because it shows up in the UPnP feed as '&'. Take a look at the brothers & sisters feed as in the Hulu links file as an example on how to handle that.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Sage Icon

EP (or anyone else knowledgeable), can you respond to my post #560? It was buried at the bottom of the previous page before the discussion went into another topic.

Thanks!
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Question:
Where do you find the name that goes in the first part of the line (i.e., where I have "RacingNews") before the "=xPodcastESPN..."? In UPnpInspector, all it shows is the name at the end, i.e. "Racing".
You're half way there. You've got the CustomOnlineVideoLinks properties file set. Now you have to setup the categories in the CustomOnlineVideoUIText properties file. That's where the RacingNews part comes in. Something like this would go in the VideoUIText properties file for the RacingNews link:

Category/RacingNews/LongName=Racing News
Category/RacingNews/ShortName=Racing News

Follow the same template for the other links you added, changing the name (RacingNews) between the slashes and changing the Racing News after the equal sign to match the proper category name for the link you are assigning to the category.

Quote:
How do you know what it should be called? I am assuming that the first name is somehow what the website where you are getting the podcast is calling it? I also tried NASCAR without the "News" after it, and that didn't work either, but does that particular one use something else? Does "Page2" use "Page_2"?
You can call it whatever you like, as long as it doesn't conflict with an existing category name. The "Page 2" link where you have ^Page2$, I think that should be ^Page 2$ with a space before the 2. What you put between the ^ and $ is listed in UPnPInspector. Highlight the folder/category in the top pane, and in the bottom pane you need the name listed by dc:title, which should actually be the name of the folder/category you highlighted.

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 2.83GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u241, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Clients: 3xHD300s, 2xHD100, 2xPlaceshifters
Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
For any special characters just use a '.' instead.

SAGETV . TVersity Media Server

The '&' is a little tricky because it shows up in the UPnP feed as '&'. Take a look at the brothers & sisters feed as in the Hulu links file as an example on how to handle that.
Thanks EP, turns out I finally got TVersity to work with your plugin, but I had to use UPnP2podcast.exe ver 1.0. The latest versions don't seem to output the rss correctly. TVersity seems to output their UPnP fields in a different order than PlayOn does if that makes any difference.

Anyways, I simply renamed UPnP2pocast.exe (ver 1.0) to UPnP2podcast2.exe and placed it in the same folder as UPnP2podcast.exe (ver 1.5) is. When adding the custom feeds, I simply used:
Code:
xFeedPodcastCustom/WB_Smallville=xPodcastUPnP_Recent,xPodcast_WB_PlugIn;external,UPnP2Podcast2,TVersity:Video:All:Smallville:+2
for example.

In addition, I had to edit the TVersity config.xml file to display more than 15 videos and edited another xml file so that the UPnP device name would simply be "TVersity" instead of "Computer Name : TVersity Media Server". This was just to make it easier to use the UPnP2podcast plugin.

One other thing worth mentioning is that you should select "MPEG1/2" Generic Device" in the TVersity settings so that it outputs the full video path.

I am having issues with video playback of Smallville, because the timeline only goes to 12 seconds. The outputted RSS feed has no value for duration and UPnP inspector shows no duration value, so this might be an issue.

There may be a setting in the TVersity config files to display duration, but I have not found it, if there is one. A possible work around may be to simply set a default value of 2 hours or something, but I can't believe that TVersity doesn't give the duration.

Last edited by simonen; 11-04-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
Thanks EP, turns out I finally got TVersity to work with your plugin.....
Are you using the Pro or free version?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am using Pro, but you can download it free. They request that you make a donation if you like it.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
SageTVaholic

EP,

When I call version 1.5 of UPnP2Podcast.exe from my STVi it hangs. (i.e. It never returns control back to the STVi). If I use the version that was included with 1.3a it works fine. Did the parameter requirement change? What do you need to help debug the problem?

Thanks,

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Is the UPnP2Podcast.log getting created?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes. Here it is. I have to kill the .exe to get it to terminate.
Attached Files
File Type: zip upnp2podcast.zip (955 Bytes, 207 views)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Sage Expert

OK, here are a few more modified scripts for the PlayOn Scripts Plugin and their accompanying properties files. First, if you don't have the Scripts Plugin installed in PlayOn then you'll need to get that from the playonplugins.com forum and install it. Then open the attached zip, copy the *.lua files to the MediaMall\plugins\scripts directory, copy the *.properties files to the SageTV\STVs\SageTV3\OnlineVideos directory, and restart the PlayOn MediaMall Server service.

This will add 5min, Top Tracks, Top 20 Music Videos, and Public Domain Flicks categories to your Online Services menu.

Known issue: 5min, Top Tracks, and Top 20 Music Videos parse web pages for videos. Due to the parsing, the 'video list is downloading' popup can display for one to five minutes (possibly longer in some cases) while the parsing is going on before continuing to the actual list.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OnlineServices.zip (8.7 KB, 223 views)

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 2.83GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u241, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Clients: 3xHD300s, 2xHD100, 2xPlaceshifters
Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, it looks like TVersity works now with version 1.0 of the UPnp2podcast app. I used the PS3 setting which sets the duration at 10 hours, and I have successfully added Smallville from the WB network and watched an entire episode. The video quality is pretty good.

I will work on my custom feed files and post them when ready as soon as I add other shows from the WB unless EP has some better ideas on how to handle this.

Last edited by simonen; 11-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robogeek View Post
OK, here are a few more modified scripts for the PlayOn Scripts Plugin and their accompanying properties files. First, if you don't have the Scripts Plugin installed in PlayOn then you'll need to get that from the playonplugins.com forum and install it. Then open the attached zip, copy the *.lua files to the MediaMall\plugins\scripts directory, copy the *.properties files to the SageTV\STVs\SageTV3\OnlineVideos directory, and restart the PlayOn MediaMall Server service.

This will add 5min, Top Tracks, Top 20 Music Videos, and Public Domain Flicks categories to your Online Services menu.

Known issue: 5min, Top Tracks, and Top 20 Music Videos parse web pages for videos. Due to the parsing, the 'video list is downloading' popup can display for one to five minutes (possibly longer in some cases) while the parsing is going on before continuing to the actual list.
Jason,

Many thanks for your hard work on modifying these scripts!
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Sage User

Does anyone experience issues with Netflix starting movies from somwhere in the middle. Most movies start from the beginning, but a couple do not. Bolt did not start from the beginning until I updated to version 5, but now it does. Also is there any way to fast forward in Netflix, it seems like this is not working consistently either. Great work EP, this is an awesome addon to Sage.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon vod, hulu, internet video streaming, netflix, online content, online services, online videos, playon