SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Sage User

Screen on delay

When switching from 1 HDMI input on my tv to the HDMI input my Client is on i get a 15-20 second delay (black screen) before sagetv displays, if i have sagetv closed the desktop shows straight away.

Any ideas what is causing this and how i can stop it?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Sage Expert

This is a rough guess, but there are many implementations of HDMI ( I think we are at 1.3 now). Many TV's have an option in their setup menu to choose a couple of different HDMI "compatibility" modes. You might check your setup menu on your TV. You can always google your make/model as well for advice and even hacking into the service menu (that's the one only the technicians are supposed to be able to access, not the same as the standard setup menu), but you should not have to do that for that HDMI adjustment. I can adjust HDMI on both my Sony and Toshiba LCD HD TV's.

Conversely, some outputs also allow you some variance with how they send the HDMI signal as well. HD200 has that, if memory serves. I think some video cards' utilities allow it as well. I have a hi-def DVD player that has a couple of HDMI output modes if one or the other won't sync on an HDTV. Again, accessed via a setup menu, no service hack required.

It's sort of like a "compatibility mode" for hard drives and such with a motherboard. That's the closest analogy.

The PowerStrip utility might help, but you can really mess stuff up with that if your are not very careful. I have not used it in a couple of years since the control panels on the video cards have gotten so good with overscan and offset and such, so I really can't say if that would help either.

BTW, my 1.5-year old Toshiba can switch HDMI faster than my 3-year old Sony XBR so it may boil down to a video processing chip in your TV and its native speed and ability.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.

Last edited by Savage1701; 09-22-2009 at 07:55 AM.