SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-21-2009, 05:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Client Issues

I do own two extenders (HD-200) already. They are working fine despite their "loosing touch with the server" every now and then. The wife and kids wanted to browse the web and to watch hulu on teh LCD. So I setup a Laptop, core duo, 2GB, Windows XP SP3, and loaded SageTV client. the laptop is not running anything else but OS and the SageTV client. The client fire up and I can access every SageTV server feature with no problems. But when I select LiveTv the program closes! I have tried sevral times to no avail. I have set the audio/video properties to default and still have the same problem. What should I look for to see what is wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Are you trying to watch a live HD stream? HD-PVR? If so I would check the codecs that are being used in the advanced setup...audio/video page. Had the same problem when I was trying to watch a live stream from HD-PVR.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am indeed trying to watch a Live TV stream from my HD-PVR. I set everything to default. What are your settings?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Sage Expert

If it is particular to the the HD-PVR, I have experienced the same thing. It will depend on your hardware graphics capability, overlay vs. VMR vs. EVR, 3D acceleration capabilities and use of H.264 decoder. It can get frustrating to play with but the you can try the test available in the setup wizard and fine tune from there.

Arcsoft, Cyberlink, Core, and Main Concepts are good. Elecard also works well for me (ATI 3650 series card). Arcsoft and Cyberlink have gone to "hiding" theirs in the newer versions of their products like TME or PowerDVD so you have to buy the codec pack or be comfortable doing some things that will make them show up in DirectShow utilities where you can raise their merit. An older version of the programs usually don't have the filters hidden. If you go to register the new versions they just don't show up.

CPU muscle matters here as well. I like the Main Concepts one because it has a utility where I can toggle videocard HW acceleration on and off. The benefits are instantly obvious, since my server has a modest E6600 CPU.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.

Last edited by Savage1701; 09-21-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1701 View Post

CPU muscle matters here as well. I like the Main Concepts one because it has a utility where I can toggle videocard HW acceleration on and off. The benefits are instantly obvious, since my server has a modest E6600 CPU.

I might be wrong here, but is all the heavy lifting not done at the client end?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I thought it was the opposite way! Heavy lifting done at the client's side!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
I might be wrong here, but is all the heavy lifting not done at the client end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfilomeno View Post
I thought it was the opposite way! Heavy lifting done at the client's side!
You guys are in agreement, and yes, one of the advantages of choosing Client over Placeshifter is that it puts minimal CPU load on the server, and therefore scales better to large installations with many clients.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Powerdvd does not hide their codecs, they appear in any directshow.
Arcsoft TotalTheatre v3.XX hide their codecs, you can't use it in any directshow, use v2.xx for that.
v2.xx use 2.0 on audio...crap.... i know.