SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Sage User

Color Calibration

Can anyone provide some good starter settings for color calibration? I have Comcast cable, HD-PVR, and HD200. My recordings look washed out.

I've messed with the SageTV color calibration settings for the HD-PVR but haven't really seen much of a change. I'm assuming this is where I'm supposed to do it, in the SageTV configuration wizard under Setup Video Sources for the HD-PVR.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Sage User

Actually, I'm not sure the PVR is recording at the highest possible quality. On both SD and HD channels I can see some pixelation and the overall picture just looks worse than through the receiver directly.

I'd still like advice on color calibration if anyone can provide it, but it looks like I also need help configuring the HD-PVR and/or Sage. I do have Sage set to "Best" recording quality as a default setting.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTBerserker View Post
Actually, I'm not sure the PVR is recording at the highest possible quality. On both SD and HD channels I can see some pixelation and the overall picture just looks worse than through the receiver directly.

I'd still like advice on color calibration if anyone can provide it, but it looks like I also need help configuring the HD-PVR and/or Sage. I do have Sage set to "Best" recording quality as a default setting.
HDNet has runs a 10 minute test loop on some Saturday mornings (including this week). It is a good chance to adjust the color settings for recording devices.

For playback, I'd suggest using one of the calibration discs available.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
For playback, I'd suggest using one of the calibration discs available.
Where can I get/find a calibration disc?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Sage Expert

Avia is a popular one for TV/monitor calibration. You can get it anywhere from Amazon to Demonoid.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

If you cruise over to AVSForum, there's AVS 601 (SD) and an AVS 709 (HD) test discs created by forum members. They're free and have most every test pattern you'd ever need.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Sage User

I can try it, but how do I make this work with the PVR? Sorry, I'm a newb, so I may be asking the wrong questions. The picture looks fine when I hook the Comcast receiver up to the TV, but completely awful through the HD-PVR.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The picture looks fine when I hook the Comcast receiver up to the TV, but completely awful through the HD-PVR.
I'm in a similar boat though I think it's more of a SageTV playback issue. For example, if I view an x.264/mkv file through SageTV, I get a similar washed out look, especially compared to Boxee's playback. It's really evident with shows like Burn Notice that seem to be higher in saturation than a lot of shows.

This gives an inkling -- it's noticeably worse when SageTV is fullscreen (47" 1080p) and the shot was taken with my iPhone so NO, not great "quality". The best spot to compare is the fan in the background between the heads

SageTV upper left, Boxee lower right.

Last edited by darcilicious; 08-05-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I can try it, but how do I make this work with the PVR? Sorry, I'm a newb, so I may be asking the wrong questions. The picture looks fine when I hook the Comcast receiver up to the TV, but completely awful through the HD-PVR.
Download the MP4 version and extract it to a folder in your import paths. Then just play the test patterns and adjust your TV like you would with any other calibration patterns.

It's quite common for people to have poor/different results with PCs, usually because they've not calibrated the TV to the PC's playback.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Since SageTV doesn't have access to those settings for the HD PVR, the Color Calibration option is being disabled on the Source Details menu when the tuner is the Hauppauge HD PVR. This will be in a future version of SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
The Color Calibration option is being disabled on the Source Details menu when the tuner is the Hauppauge HD PVR. This will be in a future version of SageTV.

- Andy
OH.

I take it you mean, you can change the settings but nothing actually happens (which seems to be what I experienced the two times I've tried make changes)

Is there a list of documented limitations in SageTV for the HD-PVR tuner? I'm about to pay for a license but may look at other options and/or wait to purchase until this and any other features are enabled...

Last edited by darcilicious; 08-05-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Sage User

Well if the color calibration for the HD-PVR doesn't work, I guess that would explain why I've been unsuccessful fixing it through that interface.

Is there somewhere else I can go in the Hauppauge software to adjust the settings? I really don't want to mess around with the color settings on the TVs because I have them set already the way I want them for stuff like a connected blu-ray player.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I really don't want to mess around with the color settings on the TVs because I have them set already the way I want them for stuff like a connected blu-ray player.
My TVs all have seperate independent color/contrast/brightness/tint etc adjustments for each set of inputs.

I always have to set them up differently for my Blu-ray player, PC, Sat STB and HD200.

On my system they all are virtually identical to watch.

But having the ability to adjust the recodrings themselves would be a nice touch.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
But having the ability to adjust the recodrings themselves would be a nice touch.
Not only that but my TV currently is fine for all other PC applications (games, Boxees, etc). But video playback within SageTV is substantially different than all those other applications.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
Yeah, I use an extender but the HD PVR recordings are very close to everything else. So I would say that if my HD PVR is representative, it's out of the box calibration is pretty good.

FWIW, here's what I find after extracting a frame of the colorbars from the HDnet test pattern mentioned earlier:

HD PVR:
White: 238, 238, 240
Black: 17, 17, 17

Reference:
White: 235, 235, 235
Black: 16, 16, 16

And the colors look just about right as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
Not only that but my TV currently is fine for all other PC applications (games, Boxees, etc). But video playback within SageTV is substantially different than all those other applications.
Games and desktop vs video are "supposed" to be different. Video is mastered to what's casually called "video levels", where black is digital 16 and white digital 235, vs desktop apps (including games) that use "PC levels" where black is 0 and white 255.

It's a predicament HTPC users have been dealing with for ages, with both set to be "correct" one calibration can not work for both, you either have washed out video or crushed/clipped/clamped black/white in desktop/games.

Of course it's even more complicated than that, since different video drivers handle video differently, and even within the same drivers, different types of video or different renderers are sometimes handled differently. Sometimes video is expanded to PC levels, sometimes not.

My experience has been that with VMR9 and nVidia hardware, Sage properly retains video levels. IIRC with my ATI card, HD material was expanded while SD was not (without a registry change).

It sounds like Boxee and Sage are using different renderers, you might want play around with the video renderer setting in Sage to see if you can make it match.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It sounds like Boxee and Sage are using different renderers, you might want play around with the video renderer setting in Sage to see if you can make it match.
Thanks for that -- I will definitely take a look!