SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Slowdown after using Guide

After I bounce around in the guide for a while, I notice that it starts to slow down. The time it takes to scroll through the time slots increases noticeably. If I switch to TV at this time, the video becomes very jerky.

I can rule out disk fragmentation - the partition used to record video is dedicated to SageTV and only has a few files on it. This shouldn't be a processor problem; I have an Athlon XP2400+, and Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250. There is also nothing else of importance running on this PC.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Sage

Does the problem persist or is it temporary? Sometimes this can happen when it's doing an EPG update (those are usually once a day).
Old 05-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

The problem goes away after about 30 seconds. I checked the Task Manager, and noticed that during this time, SageTV's CPU utilization is 100%. It happens much more frequently than once a day, so I doubt it's related to EPG updates. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:39 PM

I don't know if this is related or not. But today I woke up to find SageTV playback was jerky, so I checked out CPU usage and Sage was using it all, 100% cpu usage. If I started up another program Sage would reduce it's usage so the other program would run almost normally, but the total would still be 100 % of my CPU resources.

I tried putting Sage to sleep. Shutting down Sage and restarting it. Rebooting and stopping SageTV from starting at start up. None of this made any difference. As long as SageTv was not running everything was normal(5%), when ever I started SageTv my CPU usage went back up 100%. Sage even used 100% in it's sleep state. I'm sure it was SageTv.exe doing this because I was watching the WinXP "windows task manager" processes screen.

I don't know what caused this behavior as I've had the trial(ver 1.2.8) for 2 weeks and then just bought the software 4 days ago. No problems for almost 18 days straight running, til this morning. Since I just downloaded the 1.3.2 Beta. I uninstalled 1.2.8 and installed the 1.3.2 beta. Now everything is back to normal,7%sleeping and 25% watching TV.

I realize now that what I did destroyed any logs you could have used, but I was barely awake at the time. What should I do if this behavior returns and has any one else had a similiar problem?
Old 05-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Sage

The log files are what are useful. 1.2.8 didn't create log files, so there wasn't really anything you could have provided. If you see it in1.3.2, then send me the logs. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

The problem went away after I defragged. Odd -- this system was only a week old at the time.