SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Live stream with hauppage hd pvr

Can i live stream with my HAUPPAGE HD PVR using SAGE tv software? I have my xbox 360 connected to my HD PVR via component cable ( input ) , then output from my HD PVR to the back of my HD TV via component cable . Usb from hd pvr to the back of my computer.

So with the HD PVR that i have , can I live stream ?

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Everything the HD PVR outputs to the PC has been captured and compressed, and thus delayed a bit, if that's what you're asking about.

The component passthrough is completely live though, it's pure analog passthrough.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Everything the HD PVR outputs to the PC has been captured and compressed, and thus delayed a bit, if that's what you're asking about.

The component passthrough is completely live though, it's pure analog passthrough.
SO the sage software will detect my Hauppage HD PVR and will capture and compress ?

Im new to this, so if this will work , i will have to download this software
Download SageTV Media Center (V6.6 for Windows) ?

Basically i want to broadcast my video gaming to my friends so they can see it on their computers.

Last edited by amiljacobs; 07-30-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiljacobs View Post
SO the sage software will detect my Hauppage HD PVR and will capture and compress ?
It will recognize and record/play, but the HD PVR itself does the capture/compress and there's no way to disable that (the USB connection couldn't handle live, raw HD).

Quote:
Im new to this, so if this will work , i will have to download this software
Download SageTV Media Center (V6.6 for Windows) ?
SageTV Media Center is the app you would use with the HD PVR, but see below:

Quote:
Basically i want to broadcast my video gaming to my friends so they can see it on their computers.
Did you happen to ask a similar question on AVS? There was a thread there earlier asking about using WMP to stream live from the HD PVR.

If what you're trying to do is broadcast live across a network, then no Sage isn't really what you're looking for. Sage records everything, and "Live" in Sage is just a recording that's being played back a few seconds behind actual live.

So if you were to use Sage, your friends would have to have Sage software running, connected to your Sage server, and they'd have to browse the guide and pick the "channel" that's associated with your HD PVR. IMO not a very practical way of doing what you want.

That is if I'm interpreting what you're looking for correctly.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Did you happen to ask a similar question on AVS? There was a thread there earlier asking about using WMP to stream live from the HD PVR.
No , this is my first thread created on here.
Quote:
If what you're trying to do is broadcast live across a network, then no Sage isn't really what you're looking for. Sage records everything, and "Live" in Sage is just a recording that's being played back a few seconds behind actual live.
Yes i want to broadcast where all my friends can go to that site and see me playing . JustinTV , livestream , these all can do this but again those sites arent detecting my HD PVR , it only worked when i used composite cables ( yellow, red, white) and that was with the dazzle i used to have but i wanted to see if i can stream live with component cables HD.
Quote:
So if you were to use Sage, your friends would have to have Sage software running, connected to your Sage server, and they'd have to browse the guide and pick the "channel" that's associated with your HD PVR. IMO not a very practical way of doing what you want.
That is if I'm interpreting what you're looking for correctly.
So if they do have the sage software 6.6 , all they would need to do is connect to my server and pick up the right channel . This seems like a good idea because i cant figure out any other way .
Old 07-30-2009, 05:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Thing is it's not really a "channel", it's a recording. You're not really broadcasting, you're recording, and you could watch what you'd done.

This will not work well over the internet. Sage will have to transcode the HD PVR recordings for internet streaming, and it will have to do that once for each person who connects. You'll be doing good to get one "client" going well. Especially if you think HD is possible (which I assume since you're using an HD PVR).

Sage isn't a broadcast system, it's a client/server system, there's quite a big difference in this case. Every client gets their own dedicated stream, and that will eat up your internet pipe very fast.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
SageTVaholic

You might want to look at VLC, it sounds like you might be able to stream live from the HD PVR with VLC in linux, maybe even windows.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Sage User

and Yes, he did ask the same thing on AVS...

Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Sage Icon

I agree that SageTV probably isn't the best way to handle it.

On a very related note, amiljacobs you realize what you intend to do is illegal without the express written consent of the owner of the copywrite (ie the networks). It is fine to record shows for your own private use at a later date. It is not OK to rebroadcast those shows to other people.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all