SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

+1 more. Took me a total of 20 min from start to finish. Working like a charm and I never soldered before. Thank you.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Sage User

+1. I bought this one off ebay new in box last year, Started making a shreiking sound even when off couple of weeks ago, popped the hood and sure enough, blown caps. Trip to Radio Shack and 20 minutes later we are back up and running.

so that is 2 out of 2 for me that have failed.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Looks like I'm going to have to fix my power supply as well. There is a lot of white stuff that looks like it doesn't belong on my board. Am I correct is assuming this is leaking capacitor gunk? Picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020810.jpg (525.0 KB, 339 views)
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35
Old 06-12-2011, 03:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardATeller View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to fix my power supply as well. There is a lot of white stuff that looks like it doesn't belong on my board. Am I correct is assuming this is leaking capacitor gunk? Picture attached.
Think the white stuff is actually intentional to stop stuff moving arround. If it was from the capacitors it would just be round them and not anywhere else. (Its the three black cylinders stood on end in a row with the silver top that are the problem)

However the middle of the three in a row at the top left doesnt look too healthy. Not too sure about the right hand side one either! Their tops have a cross marked in the metal casing of the capacitor, this top should be flat. It looks like it might be opening up or bulging on two of them.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about the cap. Here is another picture. This will be a fun project. Too bad the unit died last night and messed up our plans.

Doesn't look like Radio Shack has the capacitor in stock, so I'll have to buy it mail order. Here is a list of capacitors with the right numbers, but they all have different two letter codes.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-kws...-10v-capacitor

is one of these the right one, or are they all suitable? Maybe this question is answered in this long thread, so I'll start reading now.

UPDATE: I ended up fixing it for $3.79 with two of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...howFullReviews

The first one was tough, but after I got the hang of it, and the second one went pretty smooth. I just yanked the old caps out, then tugged on the little wire stub with needle nose pliers while heating the solder until the stub came out. Then I pushed the new cap against the solder while heating the solder until it went through. After pushing both wires of the new cap all the way in, I heated up the solder to make a good connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caps.jpg (78.0 KB, 295 views)
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35

Last edited by EdwardATeller; 06-12-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

the white looks more to me like some sort of glue or resin. its just a guess, but since it is in multiple places, looks normal to me.

the caps should basically be held in by solder only. Even though I still have my hd-100, I just use the HD300 exclusively since it is so much faster.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone who has a HD100, and hasn't had to replace the caps yet should buy new caps in advance (get the good ones from eBay). Your HD100 WILL fail, just a matter of time, and it will happen when you need it the most.

Ever since I replaced my caps, my HD100 has been really fast, able to play Blu-Ray just fine, boots up within seconds (didn't realize how bad it was until I replaced these).
Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I agree with the rest, the white stuff is just extra glue on the board from the build process. I suspect there is more there than intended, but since it doesn't hurt anything, it isn't a problem.

When caps blow, they leave behind a clear/brownish liquid that some times pools around the base of the cap. Never as much as that white stuff though.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Sage User

My HD100 just died...again. The first time back was in April 09. I sent it back to Sage for repair since I wasn't aware at that time there was an easy method of do-it-yourself repair. I'm a little frustrated since it would appear they replaced defective caps with more defective caps...but at least it lasted over 2 years this time and not just one year like the first time.

I guess its time to click on over to the Sage store and replace my HD100 with an HD300.....er...guess not...

...to Radio Shack I go!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
I just bought a couple HD-100's from eBay that claimed to have had the capacitors fixed but they were actually fixed using the "splice another PS into the cord" fix. So I went and picked up the parts to do everything right and replaced the caps.

A quick and easy (and reliable) fix, if I do say so.

So if anyone needs this service done to their boxes I'll do it for a very small fee. As I know some people are afraid of soldering irons.

You can PM me or contact me through walterbarber.com

You can also hit me up if you just need help doing the repairs yourself.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just had to repair my second HD100, it started whining and sure enough one of the caps was leaking. Luckily I had three capacitors ready.

That's two out of three done now, I think I'll just do the remaining one anyway, otherwise it'll surely break just when it's least convenient.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
Yeah its super easy. I've started going on ebay and buying up all the damaged/repaired HD100's available and I'm fixing them wether they need it or no and puting them up in the closet for if I ever need them. The broken ones can get pretty cheap
Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I just wanted to thank everybody here for the good directions on repairing these guys. I fixed my first one last night. I've never soldered before but I learned quick. She boots up quick and so far so good.

It's not the prettiest job but it works.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdcknsn View Post
I just wanted to thank everybody here for the good directions on repairing these guys. I fixed my first one last night. I've never soldered before but I learned quick. She boots up quick and so far so good.

It's not the prettiest job but it works.
Can you use an encore wifi NIC with the HD 100 or it is only for the HD200\300? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTech View Post
I guess its time to click on over to the Sage store and replace my HD100 with an HD300.....er...guess not...
Yea, I was thinking about upgrading to an HD300 and almost pulled the trigger a few times, then the store closed and I no longer have the choice. I guess I'll just be happy for now with the HD100 while they last.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

My second HD100 went bad last night, so I fixed it this morning. I had bought extra caps last time just in case, so no trip to Radio Shack required.

I pull the old caps out with a pair of pliers by gently twisting them back and forth, then pull out as much stub wire from the cap side as I can with needle-nose pliers, and then I push the new caps on as I heat up the solder on the other side. The new cap wire generally just pushes out the old wire once the solder heats up. Using a safety pin would probably work well, but for some reason, I never seem to have any safety pins around.

The cap failure pattern was the same as my other HD100. One on the end was bulging badly, and the one in the middle had a very slight bulge. For my first repair, I tried to cheap out and stupidly only replace the bad one. Of course this time, I fixed both. The one cap that is oriented differently than the other did not blow on either HD100, and I didn't replace it. It will be interesting to see if it ever blows. Hopefully these new Radio Shack (1000µF 35V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic Capacitor) caps are not only bigger, but higher quality as well, and will take some of the load off the remaining old cap, enabling it to keep working.

Last edited by EdwardATeller; 12-18-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
My second HD100 went bad last night, so I fixed it this morning. I had bought extra caps last time just in case, so no trip to Radio Shack required.

I pull the old caps out with a pair of pliers by gently twisting them back and forth, then pull out as much stub wire from the cap side as I can with needle-nose pliers, and then I push the new caps on as I heat up the solder on the other side. The new cap wire generally just pushes out the old wire once the solder heats up. Using a safety pin would probably work well, but for some reason, I never seem to have any safety pins around.

The cap failure pattern was the same as my other HD100. One on the end was bulging badly, and the one in the middle had a very slight bulge. For my first repair, I tried to cheap out and stupidly only replace the bad one. Of course this time, I fixed both. The one cap that is oriented differently than the other did not blow on either HD100, and I didn't replace it. It will be interesting to see if it ever blows. Hopefully these new Radio Shack (1000µF 35V 20% Radial-lead Electrolytic Capacitor) caps are not only bigger, but higher quality as well, and will take some of the load off the remaining old cap, enabling it to keep working.
IMO, you should replace all caps (3), as they are all prone to failure. It also sounds like you might not be aware of the CocoonTech sagetv HD100 repair video, so I'll post it here again, since it is still pretty relevant (just had to repair 2 myself).