SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Sage User

Mine died too

We left our's on all the time. Don't recall when I bought it, but well over a year ago. Also note, the Shack sells crap caps as well, and I believe they are not 105 degree rated, only 85. You're better ordering some from mouser.com or somewhere to get some good Panasonic ones.

For all more info than you ever wanted on capacitors, visit badcaps.net

According to that site, using a higher voltage cap will actually 'thin' the metals in it back down to what ever voltage is running through over time. So, buying high voltage won't actually help unless it was actually under rated to begin with.

You just need 'better' caps.

-Mike
Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

If anyone's keeping count, mine just died . Funny thing is I turned it off yesterday (instead of the usual standby) for the first time in ages to reinstall my server with WHS. Turned it on today and nothing but a blinking power light and a hiss. Hopefully the capacitor replacement will go as smoothly as the WHS install (very painless). Next time I won't turn it off...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
If anyone's keeping count, mine just died . Funny thing is I turned it off yesterday (instead of the usual standby) for the first time in ages to reinstall my server with WHS. Turned it on today and nothing but a blinking power light and a hiss. Hopefully the capacitor replacement will go as smoothly as the WHS install (very painless). Next time I won't turn it off...
I very seldom turned mine off. Only when I had to do a reboot of the extender itself (which I now do via telnet). Both of mine failed without any recent switching. In fact, we were watching TV via one of them when it failed!

Wayne
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Free capacitors for HD100 repairs

I got capacitors off ebay to repair my HD100 but they came in a pack of 6. I'll give the 3 I didn't use to anyone who needs them. I'd like to give them to someone in the Madison, WI area if possible (direct pickup) otherwise send me a stamped and addressed padded envelope.

Note these are nice power-supply grade caps, not the crap they sell at the shack. They're pretty much the exact size for HD100's supply too.

Reply here.

Last edited by David G; 12-13-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Another one dead

Purchased 7/08 - has been off for two months, plugged in today, immediate flashing power light, no hiss.

The shack's Caps fixed it.

Although I will buy a 6 pack of panasonics from fleabay and replace them at a later date.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Mine has been hissing for a while, and finally kicked the bucket this evening. I guess I got lucky though, as mine lasted for two years and 6 days!

David G: I'm in the D.C. area but would be interested in your extra caps if you've still got them. Check your PM.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormous View Post
Mine has been hissing for a while, and finally kicked the bucket this evening. I guess I got lucky though, as mine lasted for two years and 6 days!

David G: I'm in the D.C. area but would be interested in your extra caps if you've still got them. Check your PM.
Yeah mine lasted a good long while too before it suddenly bit the dust with no warning sign whatsoever. Hopefully the caps will fix it for the foreseeable future, as I don't see myself switching to a HD Theater...

Anyhow, replied to your PM, check your inbox...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormous View Post
I looked up my original order date (12/10/07) and mine lasted one day short of two years minus I think six days for shipping due to a weekend, (seemed like an eternity at the time). Hmmm...

If these new caps last at least that long, I'm sure by then I'll have upgraded to that shiny, new HD-400 (complete with a superficial glass faceplace), and SageTV 7.4 running the latest Phoenix UI, (because even at 7.4, I'm guessing the default SageTV UI will still be...lacking ).
Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Add one more to the repaired power supply count.
The repair went quick and easy thanks to the good info in this thread.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

3rd time's the charm??

I had the red blinky light of death on my HD100 about a week before my warranty expired, so I lucked out and shipped it back to Sage. Practically one year later, I was once again faced with the red blinky light of death. I followed the instructions on how to replace the three faulty capacitors, and I'm back up and running, with less than $5 in parts

I've only done minimal soldering in my past, but this was a pretty easy job... and would have been easier if I had another hand to hold the board still
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszoo View Post
Has anyone had the Radio Shack caps die on them?

I have. I am now looking for a superior model of the caps from somewhere else. I read that a few ppl mention that the ones from Radio Shack are not that great and I am now a believer. They are local and easy to come by, but I don't want to keep doing this.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK Ents View Post
The 2 failed electrolytic caps are part of the main filter in a switching power supply. A large amount of surge current passes thru them. This surge current raises the internal temperature of the capacitor, which causes the failure. The failure is a boiling of the electrolyte, raising the internal pressure, which is finally relieved by the capacitor "venting" - i.e., the seams along the top open up, some of the electrolyte is lost (look at the cover of your box for the brown residue), and the capacitor loses capacitance and filtering ability.

The correct fix is to replace the failed caps with ones specifically designed for switching power supplies. They could be called low ESR caps, or surge tolerant caps. Radio Shack caps will work for awhile but may fail again, so keep a stock on hand. If you want your fix to be bulletproof, use the correct parts. I haven't researched purchasing them (since I had a few in stock at home) but they are likely to be available at Mouser Electronics.

Anyone who knows more about this type of thing, can you suggest some way to help shop for these? The caps I got from Radio Shack, (3) 1000uf 35V capacitors, Radio Shack part # 272-1032, failed on me. So it seems they carry a failed part as well.

Would something like this work:?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...iQmtNMmHHYI%3d

Or this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4x-Nippon-KY-100...item4cec650226
Old 12-23-2009, 01:42 PM

Chalk up another one...

Was bummed last night when I turned on my unit and saw the power supply blinking. Thinking the unit was toast I sent an email to support asking for a repair and then checked the forums and saw this massive list of failed units. Real shame that so many units have failed you would think SageTV would do something or recall them.

Anyway off to the electronics store to get the caps and repair.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldenc1 View Post
Was bummed last night when I turned on my unit and saw the power supply blinking. Thinking the unit was toast I sent an email to support asking for a repair and then checked the forums and saw this massive list of failed units. Real shame that so many units have failed you would think SageTV would do something or recall them.

Anyway off to the electronics store to get the caps and repair.
SageTV's subsidizing the repair even if the unit's out of warranty - pretty much all units at this point. A complete recall wouldn't make sense. They're not GE.

I recommend getting the caps off ebay. As you can see above, there are report of 'shack caps failing as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Sage User

Well.... shocked on several fronts.

My HD100 (purchased in Feb 07) began making a hissing noise. Opened it up and turned it on, sound was coming from the power supply. Thought I would hop on the forums to see if anyone ever replaced the power supply so I would know what model to purchase.

Very shocked (yet pleasantly surprised to find an answer to my inquiry) to see this thread at the top of the list.

Also shocked regarding the response. While I completely agree with Andy that we all knew the warranty period up front, I must say that I am disappointed with the number of failures I am seeing claimed in this thread and the "forum drama" that was generated as a result.

I'm still an avid Sage fan and rave to everyone I know about it, but this situation certainly put a blemish on that view.

Off to Radio Shack...
Old 12-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Most companies only recall a product if it represents a danger to the consumer. I think their price for repair including the shipping back is more than fair in my opinion. The unit does not cost that much to begin with in all reality, especially for what it does. Offering a inexpensive repair and information on how to fix it yourself is plenty good, I feel. Sony, Phillips and Samsung all refused to have a recall for their televisions that had bad caps in them, and they offer no discounted fixes, either. Those sets cost in the thousands, too. Plenty of other examples are around.

And thanks, David G. I will be getting the caps from ebay. I think they sound far superior to the Radio shack ones. Just no instant gratification, though. I am glad I learned a new skill repairing the board, though.

Oh, for the record, I rarely use the power switch in the back. Maybe 4 times a year. I know someone asked about that before.... mine is always on "standby" or whatever happens when you press the power button on the sage remote.

Edit: Here are a few examples of people who had this problem with televisions, and I am sure the list does not stop there. http://www.fixya.com/search/p228400-.../bad_capacitor
Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungod View Post
Anyone who knows more about this type of thing, can you suggest some way to help shop for these? The caps I got from Radio Shack, (3) 1000uf 35V capacitors, Radio Shack part # 272-1032, failed on me. So it seems they carry a failed part as well.

Would something like this work:?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...iQmtNMmHHYI%3d

Or this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4x-Nippon-KY-100...item4cec650226
You want the ESR rated caps, but double check the size 12.5mm on the 35v caps might be a hair too large to sit on the board with the space available. I used 16V caps and they occupy 99% of the board space.
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Good idea. Thanks. I did notice that all the ESR caps were wider. There is plenty of room to make them longer, but wider can be a problem.

I did find some and its back online. It is a tight fit, but I made it.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Sage Icon

My first one is having problems with remote reception (it won't respond to the remote at all anymore) and the front panel hasn't worked in a long time. I already had the capacitors so I figured this repair was worth a try. I'm a total novice with soldering, but I'm not worried about trying it. I was looking at a desoldering iron from Radio Shack (pn 64-2060). It is a 45 watt iron. Would that be too much to use on this board?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

Just double checking, though I think I know the answer.. one of my HD100's just began giving off a very high pitched sound.. whether off or on. The unit still works, but that sound is calling dogs from several blocks away into my yard (yeah, not really.. but it is very dog whistle-like).. Does this sound like capacitors that are near failure?

Thanks in advance!