SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Sage User

need help getting tuner working on server 2008

Hello;
A long time ago I installed a PVR500 card in my XP file server and sagetv version 5.04. I only use Sagetv as a backend pvr that would record my favorite shows to an SMB share setup on the drive in the file server, and then I steam the shows to my TV using my modded xbox with xbmc. Recently I decided to build a new file server with server 2008 so I could utilize raid 1 with some new 1tb drives without having to get or use a hardware raid controller card. I installed the pvr card using the vista drivers from hauppage's site, and it installed with no issues. I then installed sagetv 5.04.
Here is where the problems started.
I then tried to run sagetv and it wouldn't load (gives appcrash.exe message with a bunch of other info). I also tried to start the service and that wont work either(similar appcrash.exe message). So the next thing I tried was I downloaded the latest version of sagetv trial from the website. I uninstalled 5.04 and installed the new version. I then tried to open it and this time it started up and seems to run fine. I also can start and stop the service.
Just when I thought that all my problems were solved, I ran into a new problem. Sage doesn't see my 500 capture card. From some googling, I ran into this thread that talks about no BDA support in 2008. Unfortunately after reading it looks like I am not going to be able to sagetv to work. I would really like to get this working again (with my current version 5.04 if possible, but I would settle on buying the upgrade if I have to). I am hoping that maybe someone here can shed some light on this for me.
TIA,
Maverick
Old 06-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

BDA (TV Tuner) support for Server 2008 x86 and x64

Mav

See first post here: BDA (TV Tuner) support for Server 2008 x86 and x64

Note: I have not done this, so proceed as you see fit.

Scat

Server: Intel i7-930 CPU @ 2.8GHz , 300GB HD, 24GB DDR3, Win 10 64-bit, (2) 2TB HD for recording
Capture Devices: 2xHD Homerun Prime 3 (CableCard) = 6 Tuners (Spectrum, TV package: Select), 1xHauppauge WinTv 885 (4 tuners OTA), 1xHauppauge WinTv-7164 (2 tuners OTA), Schedules Direct EPG
NAS: Synology DS1618+ 26.2TB Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)
Sage Add-ons: Comskip Plug-in
Eventghost 0.5.0-RC4, Java Version: 1.8.0_172 (32-bit), Harmony 880, USB-UIRT
Old 06-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Sage User

Thanks for responding, but that link you posted is the one I already mentioned in my original post (see above). Yes-It explains how to enable BDA support in 2008, but only works for those with digital tuner cards. Unfortunately it won't help those with analog tuners such as myself-at least not the card that I have. Some with analog tuners other than mine reported getting it to work, but only after doing a bunch of registry hacks, file copies from vista to server, etc. and I don't have the time or resouces to do that with no guarantees that it will even work at all with my card. Perhaps if someone with my card was reported to get all of it working-then maybe I would try, but that's not the case.
Server2008 runs good, but it isn't worth all the hassles I have been putting up with to get all the things I want to use on it to work like they did previously with XP, and now I can't get the server to connect to my xbox despite everything being configured correctly. I have decided to go back to XP. Perhaps I can revisit server 2008 again in the future. I have read that others state that sagetv works with 2003, but I don't want to go through all the backing up, etc. again only to find issues with that os as well...
Old 06-12-2009, 04:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Mav

I am sorry I didn't see your reference to that link.

I am not sure why you want server 2008, but others have Sage working on Windows Home Server which is based on the 2003 version of Windows Server.

At this point I am looking and researching what I need to run my Sage under Windows Home Server. Sage makes a version specific for Windows Home Server.

Good luck to you
Scat

Server: Intel i7-930 CPU @ 2.8GHz , 300GB HD, 24GB DDR3, Win 10 64-bit, (2) 2TB HD for recording
Capture Devices: 2xHD Homerun Prime 3 (CableCard) = 6 Tuners (Spectrum, TV package: Select), 1xHauppauge WinTv 885 (4 tuners OTA), 1xHauppauge WinTv-7164 (2 tuners OTA), Schedules Direct EPG
NAS: Synology DS1618+ 26.2TB Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)
Sage Add-ons: Comskip Plug-in
Eventghost 0.5.0-RC4, Java Version: 1.8.0_172 (32-bit), Harmony 880, USB-UIRT
Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Some questions. Odds are you are using SATA for your 1TB drives, and I'm pretty sure most (all) sata chips used on most motherboards have basic RAID functionality built in. You shouldn't need Server 08 for this. Also, I'm pretty certain windows (even xp pro) will support RAID 0, 1, or 0+1 in software as well. Check under the Disk Management snap-in. The only feature Server 2k3 and 2k8 add to this is RAID 5.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Sage User

Cool

@Scat-no problem. Yeah I thought about using WHS, but again that would require me to buy a newer version of SageTV, so I think at this point I will just wait. Good luck though with your research on that though.

@Fuzzy-You are correct-I am using 2 1TB WD drivers. As far as WinXP Pro, you are correct in that Raid 5 is not an option, but unfortunately mirroring (raid1) isn't either. The only options under the disk management app of the console for dynamic disks is simple, spanned (like JBOD) and striped (raid 0). I did find this hack to add those missing features to XP pro, so I might give it a try. The motherboard I am using doesn't have onboard raid, so I am using a raid controller card, but it doesn't seem to do raid 1 very well. I tried it in the past with some 500GB drives and it kept throwing errors on the array. Eventually I gave up and just used the card as a basic sata controller and ran the drives as regular disks. I guess that is what you get for a $30 card. Oh well. I may look into upgrading the board and CPU to something newer, for now I used an older system I had laying around (Abit Athlon XP board and 2400+ cpu) which replaced the intel board and PIII system that it was previously.
Take it easy guys...
Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd also like to point out that a GOOD raid card would be FAR cheaper than a Server2k8 license... However, as to the WinXP hack, i did do that with an older setup and had 4 drives in RAID 5 and it performed quite well. The nice advantage of the dynamix disk raid methods is that it is actuall controller independant, and will even work across multiple controllers. You'd be able to combine your onboard ports with some add-on ports and create pretty much any array you want. You can even move drives between ports and windows will recognize where they've gone... most, even expensive, raid cards cannot do this.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room