SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Sage User

WHS, Sage, HDHR Help

So I havent used my sage or HDHR for over a year now due to some upgrade issues. I jsut had it workign when it glitched and wound't work again.

Anyways I'm over it and just found out that I can now install sage on my WHS box instead.

I'm just not sure how to do it!

1) I can't even download sage for WHS on the box due to security settings that I can't seem to disable.

2) Before I had to format my Hard Drive with large blocks in order to record using both tuners at the same time. Will this be an issue with WHS's file system?

How exaclty do I go about setting this up?

1) Download HDHR software for WHS? (What version? what drivers?) How do I get this POS to let me download?
2) install sage to WHS?
3)???
Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
So I havent used my sage or HDHR for over a year now due to some upgrade issues. I jsut had it workign when it glitched and wound't work again.
Glad to hear you are making the move. I just did the same and although it just happened this past weekend, I am very impressed so far.

Quote:
1) I can't even download sage for WHS on the box due to security settings that I can't seem to disable.
Download it from another PC and save it to your "software" share. Then run it from your WHS box.

Quote:
2) Before I had to format my Hard Drive with large blocks in order to record using both tuners at the same time. Will this be an issue with WHS's file system?
Yes. You still must do this. I would convert all of your drives before you start too. The basic steps are this:
1. Make sure you have enough space to get all your drives converted before starting. When you remove each drive it moves all data to the other drives.
2. Remove each drive from WHS from the pool of drives 1 at a time using the console.
3. Add it back in to the pool (can be immediately).
4.As soon as you add it in, right-click on Computer from Start. Click Manage. Click Disk Management. Right-click on the drive you just added and select Format. Do a quick format selecting 64k block size. Also suggest you rename the drive otherwise they will all be named DATA and it becomes hard to distinguish them. Especially if you have a lot of drives.

There are better instructions on the forum for this. Make sure you really know what you are doing and you format the correct drive!

Quote:
How exaclty do I go about setting this up?

1) Download HDHR software for WHS? (What version? what drivers?) How do I get this POS to let me download?
2) install sage to WHS?
3)???
Thanks,
Justin
I don't know how long it has been since you worked with HDHR but I know over the past year and a half the installation has simplified by leaps and bounds. Choose the HDHR software for Windows. Do the same as suggested above for the Sage software to get them on WHS. Install the drivers before configuring the HDHR in Sage. Make sure you scan and match up the channel numbers exactly as they are in the Zap2it website. Apply the changes. In Sage, you simply do a quick scan (20 seconds?) and you are good to go. Copy the lineup in Sage to the other tuner.

Choose drivers in this order:
1. WHS (duh)
2. Windows Server 2003 (WHS is based on this OS)
3. Windows XP

Lastly, I do not know if you have other tuner cards or peripherals you plan to install to get Sage working but make sure they are all compatible with WHS before you start. I have a tuner card that is useless now because of this.

Good luck and welcome to the Sage for WHS club.