SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Sage Expert

How many HD-PVRs?

A friend is considering a SageTV server using HD-PVRs and a couple of other tuners. I'd like to encourage him to use Sage.

How many HD-PVRs can one use simultaneously on a high powered server? He's talking 4. I have seen someone on the forum using 3 without issue. Anyone tried 4?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Sage Icon

I just installed my third and intend to do a fourth as soon as I can afford to buy the tuner. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple people mention that they had four working.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
A friend is considering a SageTV server using HD-PVRs and a couple of other tuners. I'd like to encourage him to use Sage.

How many HD-PVRs can one use simultaneously on a high powered server? He's talking 4. I have seen someone on the forum using 3 without issue. Anyone tried 4?
The issue is not usually the power of the server, since like most of the tuner's Sage supports all the actual Analog->Digital conversion takes place in the HD-PVR. The computer just needs to record the digital information on the USB connection.

That said, the issues with multiple HD PVRs would be less CPU related and more bandwidth related. You could have four devices dumping data in the USB bus and HDDs at the same time. With 64k clusters on the HDD and not plugging all the HD PVRs into one USB hub or anything crazy I think you'd be OK.

The real unknown is the drivers. Hauppage isn't known for putting out the best drivers, if you can get one to work, others should go easier but it always seems to be a crap shoot.

In any event I'd suggest starting with maybe two and then add as needed. Most people over-estimate the number of tuners they need. If you're using Sage as a DVR, and not just a way to stream live TV then the number of tuners you need is not really related to the number of TVs your serving.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks toricred and Djc208.

I do realize that the power of the server is not as important as USB throughput and the drive bandwidth. But someone on another thread had issues using 3 HD-PVRs until they upgraded their PC to something much more powerful.

Could have been a simple as a better USB bus or SATA controller, but we might as well build it with some oomph, as it were. The server will also be a home automation server, probably using CQC.

So anyone gotten 4 working? I just need to know it's possible before I have him jump.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
Thanks toricred and Djc208.

I do realize that the power of the server is not as important as USB throughput and the drive bandwidth. But someone on another thread had issues using 3 HD-PVRs until they upgraded their PC to something much more powerful.

Could have been a simple as a better USB bus or SATA controller, but we might as well build it with some oomph, as it were. The server will also be a home automation server, probably using CQC.

So anyone gotten 4 working? I just need to know it's possible before I have him jump.
That kinda-sorta sounds like me I had LOTS of trouble with 3 HD-PVRs until I put together a new more powerful system. If so, then you should know that the original system was a dual core and was pretty powerful to start. All the extra power in the new system was for H.264 commercial skipping. What helped my HD-PVR issues was a better functioning USB bus (my theory) not so much the extra CPU.

You should also know that I still do have the occasional HD-PVR lockup since going to the latest beta drivers.

IMHO, the CPU power is, to a certain degree, irrelevant but the quality of the USB bus and drivers is paramount. Also no matter what you may still encounter issues if using >2 HD-PVRs because the Hauppage drivers are still a little flaky.

Then again, you may be one of the lucky ones and never have a single problem. Roll them dice

S
Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Sage Expert

Yup. That was you

Well, they aren't my dice to roll, so I will strongly suggest. I am aware that the CPU is not as important. I really meant the USB and HD controllers more than anything. Sounds like I need to be sure that there are separate USB channels available.

Thanks for all of the input everyone.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Sage Expert

I certainly can't prove it, but I believe the importance of the USB bus is baloney. I've tried on three different PCs and all had the same issue with lock-ups.

I'll definitely buy a beer though for anyone who solves the issues
Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Sage User

Can someone tell me if you have two or more HD-PVRs, will the Hauppauge remote work since there is no way to select which HD-PVR ir receiver to use?

I had a similiar issue with two PVR-150s.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 AM

Dual HD-PVR's?

Anyone running dual HD-PVR tuners on a single box? Is it possible? If so, is it even more unstable than a single unit (which doesn't impress me from what I've been reading)?

I like the idea of the HD-PVR so that I can freely switch between cable, satellite and IP-TV (AT&T U-Verse) if desired. However, from what I've read it seems like HD-PVR may not be ready for prime time, even after multiple revisions of HW & SW.

Thanks...Scott

* merged *
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

I'm currently running 3 on a single box. Several people on the forums are running 2 or more. I think the biggest trick is to have the right driver. I'm currently using 1.0.5.301 which is that latest non-beta available from Hauppauge. Skirge1 seems to have identified one of the big issues and is working with Hauppauge on a fix in their drivers.

One thing to note is that you can not use more than one of the IR blasters in the units. It generally works better if you use something like a USB-UIRT, firewire, or serial to tune your STB.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Is there an FAQ somewhere on how you go about setting up more than one HD-PVR on a single box?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not aware of one. Are you having problems?

I found that it worked best if I re-installed the driver after adding each tuner.