SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Sage User

Flash Based MVP

the Flash Baed MVP has a different boot logic to the older units (see http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/flash+based) - as far as I can tell I cannot get the bin file to the MVP via SAGETV. I have to use GBPVR service to get the image on the MVP, then stop the GBPVR service and start SAGETV service. This is a pain.

Is there any other way to get atround this issue??

Pitty a free application deals with this a lot better!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

What? I don't think the "flash based" MVP is any different for installation of SageTV. And I wonder if your GB-PVR service is conflicting with SageTV somehow possibly.

What are you trying to do with your MediaMVP? You should be able to run SageTV on it without any problem. Per the SageTV Manual (page 266) here's the steps to run SageTV on a Hauppauge MediaMVP:

To use an MVP with SageTV, make sure that no other MVP server software is currently runningon any PC on your network. The Hauppauge MVP software does not need to be installed, and if it is, make sure it is not running.

Follow these steps to start using your MVP with SageTV:
  1. Enable the Media Extender and Placeshifter Server, as described at the beginning of this appendix. Then, connect the MVP to a TV and your local network, as described in the following steps.
  2. Plug either the MVP’s svideo or composite outputs into the appropriate input on your TV. (Choose the one your TV uses; svideo provides the better TV image, if both are available.)
  3. Connect the MVP’s Left + Right audio outputs to the TV’s L + R audio inputs that are associated with the video input used above. SageTV V6.5 User’s Guide Appendix M: SageTV Media Extenders Page 267
  4. Connect the local network cable to the MVP. The network will need to have a DHCP server in order for the MVP to acquire a network address.
  5. Turn the TV on and set it to use the input to which the MVP has been connected.
  6. Finally, connect the MVP’s power adapter cord.
  7. After a short startup delay, the SageTV interface will appear on your TV.
Repeat the above steps for additional MVPs connected to the same server.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Sage User

I beg to differ

thanks for the reply, but i beg to differ. I have other MVPs and they work fine.

I am unable to boot sageTV with my lash based MVP. (H revision) I get a message like, 'Failed to load GUI server'.

'The most significant difference between flash based MVPs and earlier models is that the boot process has changed. A flash based MVP does not contact the standard TFTP server upon boot-up. Instead, after obtaining a DHCP address, it sends out a broadcast UDP packet to port 16881 to find the boot server. A relay service is used to respond to this packet. It sends back a packet telling the MVP where to find the TFTP server (by default on port 16869 of the same server).

As a result you also need to run an additional TFTP server listening to port 16869.'

SageTV does NOT handle this as far as I can tell. GB-PVR on the other hand does.

Does anyone know any different? Anyone been able to get Sage TV working on a H4 revision MVP?

I have been able to frig the boot process by copying the bin to GBPVR and using it to get the image on the device. this is far from ideal and a little hit and miss.

Any help would be great
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 AM
SageTVaholic

The best advice I can give is to contact SageTV support.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM
SageTVaholic

I know the H versions work with SageTV. While I am not running any, several people have run them in the past. You may want to try giving the MediaMVP a static IP address (you will probably need to do this with your router) and then on the Sage server, you need to find the extender preferences file and set the IP in the preferences file. This will force Sage to load the MVP Bin file to that device. This may not fix your problem, but it very well could. I have the same problem with one of my MVP's that is an old helius model, Sage will not auto load the bin file until you set a static IP.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter