SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hauppage Remote conflicting with tv

I just hooked up my Hauppage 350 card w/ IR remote and it seems that IR signals are being intercepted by the TV. If I'm pointing the remote at the tv it will intercept the CHNL UP and DWN commands as well and the VOLUME mmmmmmmmmmmcommands.

Is there any ways to avoid this, everything else seems to not be interpretted. I thought about taping over the TV IR, but I need it in order to put the tv to sleep...anyone else have this problem?
Hauppage 350 Bundle = $220
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 03-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Administrator

What kind of TV do you have? The silver Hauppauge remote uses RC5 style IR commands (used by many Philips devices), but it uses system code 31 for the commands it send, which isn't usually used by TVs. It should also mean that those same TV remote buttons wold affect SageTV. It would be interesting if they didn't.

I'm not sure of any way to get around the conflict other than what you already said... or buy a different remote to use w/SageTV & a different IR receiver.

- Andy
Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the silver remote and a philips 25" tv.
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Administrator

That's strange! Is it a new or old TV? What model? The Philips TVs usually use system code 0, which conflicted with the older black Hauppauge remote.

Does the TV's remote work with Sage for those commands? If not, the TV is using a different protocol, but is somehow seeing the RC5 commands as valid. (I have no idea how likely that is...)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

The tv is two years old, it's the 25ps40s model. I tried using the remote with sage but didn't work. I was wondering if I tried the girder plugin here on the forums, if maybe that would get around it. I'm using the latest hauppage IR stuff with an iiremote.ini found on the forum.

The tv isn't as sensitive to the channel button, it usually takes 2 clicks in a row for the channels to get through. The volume button works like a normal remote button.
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 03-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Using girder wouldn't change anything because the problem is what the remote emits, not what the IR receiver on the computer does. Since the TV remote's volume controls don't affect SageTV, it sounds as if it uses a different protocol, but can still recognize RC5, as I mentioned above. The commands for vol & channel changes are standard values for Philips... but for system 0, not 31.

If I find anything else, I'll let you know... but I don't know how you could get around the fact that the remote simply conflicts with your tv. Maybe someone else will have ideas... I know _why_ it is happening, not what to do beyond changing remotes, which would require changing to something like the usb-uirt as your PC receiver.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for your insight....it makes me feel like...why me... : )
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 03-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex0230
it makes me feel like...why me... : )
Yeah, I know... I only know about these codes because I bought an MX-700 remote... and then found out it cannot learn RC5 codes, so it can't use the silver remote's codes.

It will still work, since I can use other Philips preprogramed built-in devices where the RC5 codes work... and I can change irremote.ini to accept any such codes, but it certainly was annoying to discover this problem.

- Andy
Old 03-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've gotten around the problem somewhat by covering most of the ir port on the tv and only using sage tv on the right side of the tv....hmmmmmmmmm I gotta think of a better solution!! : ) You say an USB-IRT is the solution?
SageTv = PriceLess
Old 03-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex0230
You say an USB-IRT is the solution?
Well, it is _one_ solution. If you go that way, you would buy the usb-uirt (about $50) and a new universal/learning remote. You can then use that receiver directly with SageTV or buy something like Girder (~$30 now?). I haven't (yet) used either of those, so you would have to search the forums for more info, or get comments from others.

It is also possible to program certain remotes (must be JP1 capable; total cost: under $50) with new RC5 codes & modify irremote.ini to use those codes instead of the ones the silver remote emits. The problem with this solution is that you still have to do some testing to make sure you are only using codes that your TV doesn't recognize.... or else you'll end up with a similar problem. This is doable, but depends on how much trial & error you want to go through & it also requires learning some software to control the new remote. Sometimes I wish I had done this... but I really like the fact that many MX-700 buttons can have labels.

I would wait a bit to see if someone else can offer a suggestion beyond what I've been saying... just in case I'm missing something.

- Andy
Old 01-23-2010, 04:41 PM

So I've just run into the same problem that this thread mentions - I have an LG 42" plasma and it has a few codes conflicting with my shiny new HD200. PowerToggle turns both devices on or off, and "Back" on the HD200 is "InputSelect" on the TV.

This thread is about 5 years old, so I'm wondering if there are any good solutions that don't involve trying to tape over the IR port on my TV?

I am using a Harmony remote, so if worse comes to worst, I could grab an old remote from a device that I don't use anymore, program in some codes to a random button on the unused remote into the Harmony remote, and similarly program in some codes into the HD200... but that's one of those things that will just suck to keep track of.

Any other ideas?