SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Sage User

Question HAVA Titanium HD TV Streamer with Wi-Fi as a (CHEAP) Video (HD!!!) Source?

Has anyone used a HAVA Titanium HD TV Streamer as a capture device for Sage? I just bought one for $79.99 from woot.com. From what I can tell, it has Y/Pr/Pb (HD up to 1080i) input and can be used as a WDM TV tuner device. I'm thinking it is the cheapest way to get HD content into Sage. I already have 2 HD-PVR's, but thought at this price, I could try it out as a 3rd tuner.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKenny View Post
Has anyone used a HAVA Titanium HD TV Streamer as a capture device for Sage? I just bought one for $79.99 from woot.com. From what I can tell, it has Y/Pr/Pb (HD up to 1080i) input and can be used as a WDM TV tuner device. I'm thinking it is the cheapest way to get HD content into Sage. I already have 2 HD-PVR's, but thought at this price, I could try it out as a 3rd tuner.
Keep this in mind. Although unit can accept HD 'input', the output is 720 x 480 MPEG-2 (Local Connection) and 320 x 240 MPEG-4 (Remote Connection).

Download this writeup/review and using it with Sage. HAVA Review with SageTV

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am using the HAVA platinum to capture HD content via component from an HD Cablebox .... the actual quality is DVD quality, but aspect ratio is retained 16:9 and the HAVA just plain works. You need to use Jason's ChannelChanger plugin in the download section. Same Jason as the review Big Gerr linked.

Once you get it setup it just works ... no reboots,no lockups, no heat issues etc ........ for most HD content (History channel type stuff) it is very acceptable.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hava

I have a question about the HAVA, I plan to use it to connect to my Comcast cable box's component out. I currently use the S-video and firewire to change channels.

Will the hava allow me to keep using the firewire to change channels? and the hava to capture the video
Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

I see no reason why not. You just won't need Jason's Channelchanger plugin and when you setup the HAVA in SAGE select you firewire for channel change, have not used firewire so I'm not certian on the how-to of that part.

In the SAGE add the "HAVA VIDEO DEVICE" ... not the HAVA Remote Video Device. Then there will be an option to pick Component input.

As I've stated several times here ... I'm very happy with my HAVA. Post back here and let us know how you make out and how you like it.

Hope this helps .....
Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks GrayGeek
Once it arrives I will post my thoughts
Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have my hava and outside of filling the screen, it seems that using s-video into an old hauppauge card gave better results. I am hoping that I don't have something setup properly. I read something in the hava forum that they prefer vbr instead of cbr. I am still working on getting better quality. hopefully before the NHL playoffs are over.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

the problem I was having was a very blocky picture. almost web grade.
I seem to have found an improved setup.
I can't speak to what parts of this had what effect.
in the hava software I changed the default buffer folder to a different drive. from a PATA to a SATA drive.
did a reboot of the hava from their software.
set my recording quality to DVD std.
closed hava then reopened sage.

I no longer have a blocky video. there are some aliasing issues, but I can live with that.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Glad you got it running. I do see some minor jaggies on straight lines which are at an angle, but overall the picture quality is pretty darn good. Not like full HD via ATSC but no worse than much of the HD content on a lot of cable channels. I have not tried via the S-video but have seem many reports that using Component blows it away as far as the picture quality. I'm very impressed with the consistent operation I'm seeing also, no crashes, lockups or reboots at all.

I view the HAVA as a good bridge until the either a better cable capture device rolls out or I decide I'm willing to try the HD-DVR. There are rumors of new capture boxes from HAVA and Silicon Dust, but they are just rumors so far and new hardware seems to have just frozen in time lately.

The biggest drawback to me is that you can not run multiple HAVA's on one system..... I'd love to add a second!

Last edited by Graygeek; 05-06-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Woot has this today for $59.99! If I didn't already have the HD-PVR and two HDHRs I'd be tempted.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS
Old 05-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Oh nice, this could be an alternative device especially if your source isn't HD. I checked out the woot deal, fantastic except they don't deliver outside the U.S. And the local retail price here is $170... typical for Canada.

One question though, can I make this appear as a device on a linux sage server? It seems that the drivers are Win only. With no plans for an API I'll guess that I'm out of luck. Now I wonder about the HDPVR, is it the same problem..

I see that they have a Nokia tablet player which is linux based so it is possible if they weren't closed about the access.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingisson View Post
Oh nice, this could be an alternative device especially if your source isn't HD. I checked out the woot deal, fantastic except they don't deliver outside the U.S. And the local retail price here is $170... typical for Canada.
Works great for capture of HD via component.... the result is actually only DVD quality, but its really not bad! Also the 16:9 aspect is retained. Coupled with Jason's HAVA ChannelChanger plugin works great in SAGE.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

DVD quality is fine. My STB isn't HD so if it looks as good as direct component then that's perfect. Do you maintain size and aspect ratio, i.e. same as direct connect?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, size and ratio are maintaned.

Tags
capture, hava