SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Macbook Audio seperate from HDMI

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience around this topic: Can I get optical audio alongside my HDMI video?

I just got my new miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter for my unibody Macbook. I get a great video signal, but Apple doesn't currently support audio via displayport. It looks like my Samsung probably supports analog audio on 1 HDMI port...so that's cool.

I bought a TOSLink adapter for digital joy, but I find that my HDTV does not support Optical audio input. I'm looking at receivers, and I would like to know if I'll be able to plug my HDMI (video only) cable in AND a TOSLink (audio only) cable in and get the result I want - audio and video out from my MacBook. In other words, run HDMI & TOSLink into the receiver and HDMI out to the TV and be able to hear/see it all.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tomahawk51; 04-05-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:07 PM

audio output

just got my adapter today and realized the same issue, nice video but no audio from the macbook over hdmi... To remedy this i bought a simple audio out cable (one you plug into the headphones jack of the macbook) and hooked is up to my stereo system. a surround sound or stereo system would obiously give you better audio quality the Tv alone would in my opinion. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

FYI: Wish I bought this one that does audio over HDMI (it wasn't available before)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback