SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
tell me is it better to use DVBViewer then the original Sagetv recorder? is it better? is it fast and can give me the same features as the original sagetv recorder?
It is not better, it comes with advantages and inconvenients.

DVBViewer + DVBViewer Recorder is to be used when :

* You have issues with the native SageTV recording engine (ex: failed to use correctly your tuner, doesn't support very well the CAM you use...)

* You want DVB or Teletext subtitles support in SageTV (though for this I'll have something new in a few weeks with a new recorder that doesn't use DVBViewer)

DVBViewer is a robust application as far as concerning DVB with a good reputation. The only problem : DVBViewer doesn't have an evaluation version (well they have a Transedit application that is based on their DVB engine, all it does is scanning for channels, so if you can scan in Transedit, you'll be able to tune channels in DVBViewer)

The inconvenients now :

* DVBViewer only officially support CAM hardware. So if you want to use SoftCAM to decrypt your channels, you'll receive no support

* Some minor issues with few hardware or SoftCAM that requires some workaround. The workaround usually needs that DVBViewer playback the video content while it is recorded (either for the whole recording duration or only for a few seconds) : and that will eat out CPU if the recorded content is H264 HD... Though you can use the DVBViewer Recording service to avoid this

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
It is not better, it comes with advantages and inconvenients.

DVBViewer + DVBViewer Recorder is to be used when :

* You have issues with the native SageTV recording engine (ex: failed to use correctly your tuner, doesn't support very well the CAM you use...)

* You want DVB or Teletext subtitles support in SageTV (though for this I'll have something new in a few weeks with a new recorder that doesn't use DVBViewer)

DVBViewer is a robust application as far as concerning DVB with a good reputation. The only problem : DVBViewer doesn't have an evaluation version (well they have a Transedit application that is based on their DVB engine, all it does is scanning for channels, so if you can scan in Transedit, you'll be able to tune channels in DVBViewer)

The inconvenients now :

* DVBViewer only officially support CAM hardware. So if you want to use SoftCAM to decrypt your channels, you'll receive no support

* Some minor issues with few hardware or SoftCAM that requires some workaround. The workaround usually needs that DVBViewer playback the video content while it is recorded (either for the whole recording duration or only for a few seconds) : and that will eat out CPU if the recorded content is H264 HD... Though you can use the DVBViewer Recording service to avoid this

Regards,
Stéphane.

Well all i need is the subtitle support so is it a good idea to Waite for your new stuff (few weeks....)

Thanks a lot
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Banjo, Bjkiller, dvbe4sage is integrated with the special version of ndscam. I cannot see DVBviewer recorder supporting that, so it is unusable for YES.

I guess it might be possible to use the dvbviewer recorder technology to scan the subtitle stream produced by dvbe4sage and push it into sage, but for this, mpogr has to work together with Stephane; I do not see how any of them can solve the problem alone without rewriting much of the code.

Maybe if Stephane publishes the file format he uses we can do something.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytulpan View Post
Banjo, Bjkiller, dvbe4sage is integrated with the special version of ndscam. I cannot see DVBviewer recorder supporting that, so it is unusable for YES.
Well DVBViewer doesn't offer support (that is will not help you making it work) for SoftCams like NDSCam. Though plug-ins exists for DVBViewer (NDSCam being one of them), so it may or may not work.

Quote:
I guess it might be possible to use the dvbviewer recorder technology to scan the subtitle stream produced by dvbe4sage and push it into sage, but for this, mpogr has to work together with Stephane; I do not see how any of them can solve the problem alone without rewriting much of the code.
I'm already busy writing a new recorder software that doesn't need DVBViewer and that will support MDAPI plug-ins and CAM hardware.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Stephane,

I suggest you take a look at dvbe4sage (which is open-source) so you don't reinvent the wheel. It is vary stable, efficient, supports dynamically allocated virtual tuners and is almost zero-configuration by looking at the NIT of the provider.

Regards, Yossi
Old 06-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I suggest you take a look at dvbe4sage (which is open-source) so you don't reinvent the wheel. It is vary stable, efficient, supports dynamically allocated virtual tuners and is almost zero-configuration by looking at the NIT of the provider.
Thanks, but I'm making a 100% managed solution (so no C++ involved here) and the BAT is not something I will use (because the BAT is a private thing), so I focus on ETSI standards (like logical channel numbers) and collaborative database of lineups. I'm also including some smart buffering to make very smooth transitions (no packet loss). I will not go with dynamic virtual recorders (I don't think it is possible to do anyway as you can't, as a recorder, influence SageTV when it schedules shows), but instead will allow you to choose what physical tuners are allowed to be load balanced within a recorder

My DVB acquisition code, demux code and network recorder protocol code are already all done (they are already really stable too : DVB Viewer recorder is two years old and is using the demux I'll use in the new recorder), I now have to make a really nice interface for the configuration of the recorders (a WPF interface) + native integration with the XMLTV Importer.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cool

Quote:
Stephane,

Regards, Yossi
ytulpan: it's not so simple, dvbe4sage it's GPL, the current set of programs from StephaneM is not GPL. you can't derive the GPL code to non GPL project.

StephaneM : NIT it's not related to BAT.
NIT tell which transponders included into package, so you can tune only to one transponder and receive the rest.

for example PlatformaHD (Russian HD package)
Quote:
2010-06-14 06:10:04.520 #4: Found transponder for ONID=1714 with TID=8000, Frequency=12303000, Symbol Rate=26400, Polarization=V, Modulation=8PSK (DVB-S2), FEC=2/3
2010-06-14 06:10:04.520 #4: Found transponder for ONID=1714 with TID=8400, Frequency=12380000, Symbol Rate=26400, Polarization=V, Modulation=8PSK (DVB-S2), FEC=2/3
2010-06-14 06:10:04.520 #4: Found transponder for ONID=1714 with TID=8500, Frequency=12207000, Symbol Rate=27500, Polarization=H, Modulation=8PSK (DVB-S2), FEC=2/3

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;

Last edited by bjkiller; 06-13-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm making a 100% managed solution (so no C++ involved here) and the BAT is not something I will use (because the BAT is a private thing), so I focus on ETSI standards (like logical channel numbers) and collaborative database of lineups. I'm also including some smart buffering to make very smooth transitions (no packet loss). I will not go with dynamic virtual recorders (I don't think it is possible to do anyway as you can't, as a recorder, influence SageTV when it schedules shows), but instead will allow you to choose what physical tuners are allowed to be load balanced within a recorder

My DVB acquisition code, demux code and network recorder protocol code are already all done (they are already really stable too : DVB Viewer recorder is two years old and is using the demux I'll use in the new recorder), I now have to make a really nice interface for the configuration of the recorders (a WPF interface) + native integration with the XMLTV Importer.

Regards,
Stéphane.

Stephane,

I'm very pleased to see that there will be a solution for the DVB subtitle problem.

I'll be happy if sagetv will do it in the core of the software but it is ok by me if it will work with your soulution.

I am wiling to be a beta site for the project and help in any way that you will find you need.

Thanks
Banjo
Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
NIT it's not related to BAT.
NIT tell which transponders included into package, so you can tune only to one transponder and receive the rest.
Yes, I was simply thinking that DVBE used the BAT for Yes. The NIT indeed contains a network map but it is assumed not to be reliable (at least on DVB-T).

As I will provide a lineup editor, I let the user choose the frequencies themselves, because frequencies are not the problem, the problem is the hundreds of channels you can get. Unfortunately to match the channels list on the provider receiver the only way to go is the BAT, but as I said it's almost only private data. That's why user shared lineup are much more effective.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Sage Icon

Hi All,

Just a quick note to tell you that I released the first pre-release of my new network encoder for SageTV with subtitles support. This one doesn't need DVBViewer to work at all (it's all 100% C# managed code)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Sage User

Thumbs up

Sounds wonderful, I'll be waiting eagerly for the DVB-C version.

The lack of the dvb subtitles is absolutely the biggest weakness of Sagetv right now for me and if your network encoder can fix it, I will be very very happy.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

how can i configure my cam plugin

Hi,

How can i set my cam plugin to work with your software?

i used to run dvbe4sage + plugin for the cam

Grate work on the solution i hope that it will solved our long waiting solution for subtitles on dvbs

Thanks
banjo
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
How can i set my cam plugin to work with your software?
See this : http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...25&postcount=4

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwood View Post
Sounds wonderful, I'll be waiting eagerly for the DVB-C version.
DVB-C version is now ready in version 1.0r3 (Though I have no way to verify it works correctly).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Sage User

Quote:
DVB-C version is now ready in version 1.0r3 (Though I have no way to verify it works correctly).
Wow, that was fast!

I installed your recorder on my test machine and the basic install was pretty easy. The recorder found all my tuners and channel scan succeeded very well, all channels and their subtitles were found. Then I went Sagetv tuner setup, selected the new tuner and then I found a problem: Sagetv handles the new tuner as a DVB-T tuner, not a DVB-C.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hi Stephane

As always, very very good job. I'm leaving on holiday tomorrow, so a test will have to wait a few weeks. I hope you are not too busy programming to watch the fantastic Tour this year...

Rasmus
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Then I went Sagetv tuner setup, selected the new tuner and then I found a problem: Sagetv handles the new tuner as a DVB-T tuner, not a DVB-C.
And why is this a problem? As SageTV doesn't perform the tuning it doesn't matter...

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Sage User

Ah, you are right. Silly me.

Yes, I managed to set it up and the tuner works ok. However, I haven't seen the subtitles yet, but I will re-check the settings.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
However, I haven't seen the subtitles yet, but I will re-check the settings.
Have you applied the STVi plug-in for the subtitles? This is the instructions for the subtitles STVi plug-in for the DVBViewer Recorder, they also apply to this recorder.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question

anybody tested this build? looks like there new feature regarding subtitles...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...786#post436786

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;