SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Sage

Subtitle Support

To clarify what should work regarding subtitles in the 6.5.12 beta, here's a little better description.

There's generally two ways to store subtitles. You can have them in an external file that's related by the filename; or you can have them embedded within the file itself.

External Subtitles
For subtitles that exist in an external file; the following subtitle formats should work in SageTV no matter what you're using for playback (MediaCenter, Client, Placeshifter, HD100/200, MVP, etc.). These formats are all text based:
SRT, SUB (MicroDVD or SubViewer), SSA/ASS and SAMI

In addition to that; if you're using the HD200, then SUB/IDX (VobSub) subtitles in an external file are also supported. (support is planned for the HD100 for later for this format)

Embedded Subtitles
Currently this is only supported with the HD200; but this will be expanded later to cover other parts of the platform. This is supported for all file types; but only text based subtitle formats are supported currently. We are going to expand this soon to include embedded bitmap-based subtitles as well (for BD, DVB and embedded VobSub).

Hope that explains it a little better.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Let me be the first to say (on this subject) that you guys rock. This was my most requested feature.

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Very very very looking forward to the progress on this
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) JavaRE 1.6.0_37 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) Win7 x64 Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz 16GB PC3-10600 ECC ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) APC Back-UPS RS 800 STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000
Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Sage User

i love the work on this , but I have one question. i can turn the subtitles on at any time, but how do I turn them off during playback? Is this possible or do I have to stop playback and start again to loose the subtitles.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-sean
Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 PM
SageTVaholic

How do you turn/off on the subtitles (when available)?

Which tuners support embedded subtitles?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Sage

Apparently there's a bug in the STV so the option to turn off the subtitles isn't showing. Selecting them will turn them on though. We'll fix that of course.

Brent,
There's no broadcasts in the US which have subtitles that I am aware of. We will be adding closed captioning support on the HD200 soon as well though. Subtitles are fairly popular with DVB broadcasts in other parts of the world though. We don't have DVB subtitle support yet; but we will in the near future on the HD200 first and then expanding it around the platform after that.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
We don't have DVB subtitle support yet; but we will in the near future on the HD200 first and then expanding it around the platform after that.
This is really great news. Can't wait.

Thanks!

Rasmus
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 03-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
We will be adding closed captioning support on the HD200 soon as well though.
Thanks for this!!! It's hard to read the CC data which is on top of the record broadcast but I am getting better (j/k).
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Cool

Quote:
Subtitles are fairly popular with DVB broadcasts in other parts of the world though. We don't have DVB subtitle support yet; but we will in the near future on the HD200 first and then expanding it around the platform after that.
wow! thanks!!!!

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Heh, sucks for me as I recently transferred everything I have over to mkv for simplicity. I can definitely wait however as vobsub support is really the only reason I use directshow support now. Thanks for the hard work!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

HD200 (beta) perhaps subtitles could default to off..

Just updated my server 6.5.9 And updated SageMC (8.3a). And converted to service mode as I plan to move my second HD200 down to living room to replace server.

And upon watching SNL in my office (OTA digital record) I see 'Untitled' on the bottom of the screen. With no idea how to remove it! (Search pdf manual that came along with 6.5.9 = nothing). And since subtitle support was added with latest beta for HD200 - HD200 manual is not going to tell me.

How do I turn off subtitles (or the lack there-of-message) on OTA recordings. I can't seem to find a pop-up menu that will allow it.

* merged; see above *
Old 03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Apparently there's a bug in the STV so the option to turn off the subtitles isn't showing. Selecting them will turn them on though. We'll fix that of course.
Nice.

I pick a rainy weekend to upgrade my SageTV, and web server plug-in, AND move to client/server. And I get 'Untitled' flashing on everything I view. With no apparent way to turn it off. Even in the stock STV.

For the record I never had subtitles turned on - nor would I know where to go to turn them on. So I gotta re-iterate why do I have them on now???

Don't get me wrong, I love that Sage is improving features. I would move to beta 8.5.12 again - but I got a message about a jar being out of date. A message popped up on SageMC telling me a jar was out of date. The message said AND I QUOTE 'you need needed jar version "xyz", and you have version "xyz". Not the best end user experience ay?

This STV / JAR / SageTV versioning thing is getting too hard for me to follow. And frankly I considered myself pretty hard-core before running into SageTV.

Guess I'll restore the disk image I made before mucking about on the cutting edge. Because I got cut.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
This STV / JAR / SageTV versioning thing is getting too hard for me to follow. And frankly I considered myself pretty hard-core before running into SageTV.
Sounds like you tried to load an old, left-over, version of SageMC STV rather than the latest.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Sounds like you tried to load an old, left-over, version of SageMC STV rather than the latest.
Rather...I loaded the latest and greatest.

In any case. A quick restore with Acronis True Image. And all is right with the word again. Really, Truely, unless a compelling reason presents itself I'll stick with what I got.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Sage Icon

OK, I'm running into issues where some .smi subtitles will work, and others won't. On some movies with .smi subtitles, I don't get an option to turn them on.

And, are we gonna be seeing bitmap-based subs extended to all of SageTV, or just the HD extenders? Same for embedded digital closed captioning?

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
OK, I'm running into issues where some .smi subtitles will work, and others won't. On some movies with .smi subtitles, I don't get an option to turn them on.
Jack, I've seen a couple of problems which I've reported.
1. smi files from srt2smi have quotes around the time values and they don't work.
2. smi files produced by Showanalyzer in UTF16 are not detected as valid so you don't get any option to turn them on.

John
Old 03-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Jack, I've seen a couple of problems which I've reported.
1. smi files from srt2smi have quotes around the time values and they don't work.
2. smi files produced by Showanalyzer in UTF16 are not detected as valid so you don't get any option to turn them on.

John
I figured it was something like that but didn't have the time to figure out which .smi's worked and which didn't, and what program was used to creat the smi.

Sounds like all the issues you had when you were tweaking the CC plugin.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Sounds like all the issues you had when you were tweaking the CC plugin.
Sure does. I must say I'm pretty happy to have that plugin become obsolete.

John
Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Sage Icon

I would really like to see an icon showing if theres a closed captions file available for each video file.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

That's really great news!

Guys, I can't even stress this strongly enough: DVB subtitles are must! More than half of the world uses them!