SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Sage User

Questions about buying SageTV

Just a quick question before I buy my license...

What is your policy on version upgrades released after purchase? (I.E. I won't have to buy a new license for each new release will I?) What about new releases of the same version, for example 6.6 should it be released?

Also, based off my current assumption that I'll have to pay for new versions, I just want to make sure that SageTV 7 won't be released like a day after I buy it. Would suck to have paid for the current version only to find out a new one is available the next day that I also have to pay for.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmd88 View Post
Just a quick question before I buy my license...

What is your policy on version upgrades released after purchase? (I.E. I won't have to buy a new license for each new release will I?) What about new releases of the same version, for example 6.6 should it be released?

Also, based off my current assumption that I'll have to pay for new versions, I just want to make sure that SageTV 7 won't be released like a day after I buy it. Would suck to have paid for the current version only to find out a new one is available the next day that I also have to pay for.

Thanks!
Historically upgrades have been free, with one exception. I'm pretty sure they have not changed their policy, but I've been using since v 1.2ish and only had to pay for one upgrade. Not bad for 6 years or so of upgrades.

dave

P.S. - you can search on the forum and find all kinds of info on this topic.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmd88 View Post
What is your policy on version upgrades released after purchase?
First, this is a user-to-user forum, not an official support channel. Questions posted here are assumed to be addressed to other users. There's a chance a SageTV dev may see your post and respond, but there's no guarantee of that.

That said, my understanding of the policy on version upgrades is that there is no hard and fast policy. They reserve the right to charge for particular upgrades as they deem appropriate. So far, as lovingHDTV said, they've exercised that right just once, for upgrades from V4 or earlier to V6 or later. (Upgrades from V5 to V6 are free, if V5 was your original purchase.) That should not be taken as a guarantee of what may happen for future upgrades; however, given their track record, it seems unlikely that they'd charge you for an upgrade to V7 the day after you buy V6.

Also, it's been less than three weeks since V6.5 was released, with no signs of new activity in the Beta forum (except for firmware updates). So I think we can probably rule out an imminent release of V6.6 or V7 in the next few days.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure where to post a question like this, so sorry about that.