SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

HDHR help? About to give up on Sage

I can't seem to get everything working at once. The second tuner on my hdhr works with hdhr setup but sage continues to display no signal. I replaced the cables and verified playback works outside of sage....for grins I disabled tuner 0 in hdhr and can tune with tuner 1 outside of sage...

1 tuner no problem
2nd tuner - no go....

----> Problem solved below. I had multiple computers controlling the HDHR that was legacy when I switched from an XP test environment to a production Vista x64 server.

Last edited by profit; 02-23-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not an HDHR owner so I can't give any specific advice about that. I would suggest that you not give up on Sage entirely even if you can't get the HDHR to work. There are any number of other ATSC/QAM tuner options out there that might work better for you.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by profit View Post
I can't seem to get everything working at once. The second tuner on my hdhr works with hdhr setup but sage continues to display no signal. I replaced the cables and verified playback works outside of sage....for grins I disabled tuner 0 in hdhr and can tune with tuner 1 outside of sage...

1 tuner no problem
2nd tuner - no go....

I just upgraded to the latest hdhr drivers and am on the latest SAGE release on Vista ultimate x64. It isn't a permission issue as far as I can tell.

Very close to ebay for 1 hdhr, 1 hd pvr which I haven't messed with due to hdhr issues, 1 hd 200.

Anyone solved this problem?
I am using both tuners of a HDHomerun with Sage without problems. I'm using the latest version of Sage, 20081231 HDHR firmware and XP Pro.

I'm sure you may have already done this, but...
After you installed the updated firmware on the HDHR, did you have both tuners scan for channels? Do you have both tuners set for Sage control? (I made both of these mistakes before getting it to work).
Old 02-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Sage Expert

I found HDHR easy to setup. Time consuming with the scanning, but easy. I believe I had it scan with both tuners. Have you tried that?
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Sage Icon

When you click on 'view' in the HDHomeRun setup, can you see both tuners with the VLC software?

The HDHomeRun units sometimes have bad power supplies. My HDHomeRun worked normally for a couple of months, and then both tuners quit working. I had trouble with a bad HDHomeRun power supply which caused both tuners to quit working. Silcon Dust replaced the power supply for free. I don't know if a bad power supply could effect only only one tuner, but you might have a bad HDHomeRun power supply.

Dave
Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

HDHR problems

Thanks for your replies.

-Both tuners work in the VLC software. I even disabled tuner 0 to make sure that the VLC software tested properly on Tuner 1

-Both are enabled for Sage in the HDHR setup menu

-I'm pretty certain I rescanned both after my driver update last night but will try again just in case

Yesterday I updated Sage, the HD200, and the HDHR.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

You need to scan both tuners in SiliconDust software. You should probably remove the HDHR tuners in Sage. Readd them and scan the channels of both tuners in Sage. Make sure your station names and channels are the same as the Zap2It site. After scanning in Sage enable or disable the channels you want to see and test one by clicking the view button. You should also see a signal strength gauge along with the video.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

channel scanning

You confused me.

To date I've been scanning and labeling in the HDHR setup menu. Should I only be labeling in SAGE?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by profit View Post
You confused me.

To date I've been scanning and labeling in the HDHR setup menu. Should I only be labeling in SAGE?

In the HDHR setup menu, I scanned the channels for both tuners and set both tuners to be controlled by Sage. Then I went into Sage, add the tuners and scan the channels in Sage. If needed, I remap and/or disable channels in Sage.

Edit: One other thing, I am running the 20081231 firmware for HDHR. I saw another thread where a user(s) was complaining about problems using a later version of firmware for the HDHR - I think it was 20090215 version.

Last edited by LittleJohnny; 02-22-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

For my setup, there are 2 sure ways to cause conflicts between the HDHR and SageTV.

1) Tinkering with the HDHR using other programs, or other computers, including the HDHR config program seems to confuse who has control of the HDHR. Occasionally, SageTV will not be able to control one or both tuners. I also use my laptop and HDHR config to tinker with my antennas, so I've learned to expect control issues during/after these sessions.

2) Starting and stopping LiveTV more than once quickly in succession, especially viewing directly on the server. Since I'm only using the server monitor for setup and maintenance, but not casual viewing, I haven't spent the time to debug this issue.

Any of the above will leave one or both of the HDHR tuners still tuned to a station and streaming. Where that stream is going, I haven't bothered to figure out, except that SageTV claims not to be seeing/receiving it. The only way I've found to get the HDHR to release the tuner is to reboot (unlplug/replug). If anybody knows a way to remotely restart the HDHR, please chime in. Especially if there is a way to do it via LAN or IR. I'm planning to put an X-10 appliance module on the plug so I can remotely power cycle it if I can't find a better method.

The key to stable operation for me is when I'm done tinkering, I reboot the server and then reboot the HDHR during the server POST. All works fine until the next time I decide to tinker...
Old 02-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

2nd tuner problem solved - keyboard and seat...

I believe both tuners now function properly within Sage. While initially testing SAGE I had installed the HDHR software on an XP laptop. I then bought a new server for Sage and installed Vista and HDHR etc...long story short I created my own conflict that I had forgotten about once I setup my production environment

After uninstalling HDHR from xp laptop I rescanned under hdhr setup and then added those sources into Sage.

Also the splitters in my house are about 15 years old. I isolated those and fed from some new splitters which helped with my hd pvr picture quality. I'm guessing there is an issue with HD and older splitters having the range but it could have just been old fashioned signal degradation.

Many thanks for the comments to help me get back on track.

Last edited by profit; 02-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.