SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Sage User

Crash in SageTV.exe (6.5.9)

My wife has been able to consisently crash the SageTV GUI.

I took a screenshot of the crash screen. SageTV.exe is blowing up inside "quartz.dll". I did some forum searches and have not seen any recent problems with quartz.dll.

At the time of the crash (her best recollection), she had selected the wrong recording to watch (the remote is pretty sensitive), and immediately stopped playing it. She then went back and selected the right show to play and boom - trap screen. In fact on the screenshot you can see that it still showing the recordings screen, not the video display screen.

She is running on the server itself (Q6600, Nvidia 8500GT, 2G RAM). It is an XP Pro server running at low resolution (800x600) feeding a regular SD TV through a composite video input. She is running VMR mode. The memory utilization on the server for the process is about 170Meg. Not sure if that is high or not.

Recording activity via the service is not impacted. The recordings themselves are fine.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Isn't quartz.dll a part of directshow/directx? You might want to try reinstalling directx to see if that fixes your problems.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to Kryspy
Yes indeed,

quartz.dll is a library with functions for DirectShow, a part of DirectX.

Kryspy
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp999 View Post
My wife has been able to consisently crash the SageTV GUI.

I took a screenshot of the crash screen. SageTV.exe is blowing up inside "quartz.dll". I did some forum searches and have not seen any recent problems with quartz.dll.

At the time of the crash (her best recollection), she had selected the wrong recording to watch (the remote is pretty sensitive), and immediately stopped playing it. She then went back and selected the right show to play and boom - trap screen. In fact on the screenshot you can see that it still showing the recordings screen, not the video display screen.

She is running on the server itself (Q6600, Nvidia 8500GT, 2G RAM). It is an XP Pro server running at low resolution (800x600) feeding a regular SD TV through a composite video input. She is running VMR mode. The memory utilization on the server for the process is about 170Meg. Not sure if that is high or not.

Recording activity via the service is not impacted. The recordings themselves are fine.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
I am also seeing crashes that appear similar to yours (ie., when trying to view a program, selected the wrong one, stopped playback and it crashes -- or if it doesn't crash, I go in and select another program, it starts playing, but I stop playback and it crashes). Recordings going on in the background are unaffected, but how were you able to narrow it down to quartz.dll?

Is anyone else seeing similar behavior?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylork View Post
I am also seeing crashes that appear similar to yours (ie., when trying to view a program, selected the wrong one, stopped playback and it crashes -- or if it doesn't crash, I go in and select another program, it starts playing, but I stop playback and it crashes). Recordings going on in the background are unaffected, but how were you able to narrow it down to quartz.dll?

Is anyone else seeing similar behavior?
When the trap screen comes up there is a link to click that will show you the details. In that second screen it will tell you the executable that trapped (SageTv.exe) and the ModNam (quartz.dll).

The problem seems to be caused by excessive usage. If my wife forgets to press the sleep button or otherwise stop recording of live TV, and it goes all night, the next time she goes to do something it traps. Yesterday she left it running for a long time, and later I put it to sleep - and it actually trapped later while it was asleep. Weird.

I am either going to try to reload the Video drivers and directx over the weekend, or I may just upgrade to Vista. Right now we are recording just fine and just having to restart SageTv.exe occasionally. In fact I restart it whenever she's away to minimize her getting traps, which are clearly MY fault.

I think Sage may run better on Vista than XP. I upgraded a client machine to Vista and the EVR makes a huge difference. Even though the server is only pushing an SD TV and at low resolution, it still seems to tear ever so slightly on VMR. Maybe Sage just likes Vista better.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
When the trap screen comes up there is a link to click that will show you the details. In that second screen it will tell you the executable that trapped (SageTv.exe) and the ModNam (quartz.dll).

The problem seems to be caused by excessive usage. If my wife forgets to press the sleep button or otherwise stop recording of live TV, and it goes all night, the next time she goes to do something it traps. Yesterday she left it running for a long time, and later I put it to sleep - and it actually trapped later while it was asleep. Weird.

I am either going to try to reload the Video drivers and directx over the weekend, or I may just upgrade to Vista. Right now we are recording just fine and just having to restart SageTv.exe occasionally. In fact I restart it whenever she's away to minimize her getting traps, which are clearly MY fault.

I think Sage may run better on Vista than XP. I upgraded a client machine to Vista and the EVR makes a huge difference. Even though the server is only pushing an SD TV and at low resolution, it still seems to tear ever so slightly on VMR. Maybe Sage just likes Vista better.
Sorry to be so dense, but you lost me... trap? Trap screen? I don't know what this means. Do you mean the "Recording Detail" page?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylork View Post
Sorry to be so dense, but you lost me... trap? Trap screen? I don't know what this means. Do you mean the "Recording Detail" page?
I did not take a screenshot, but here is a link. (Obviously this is NOT the error I got, this is just a sample of what the screen looks like). If you click the "click here" link, you get to the details.

Are you getting something like this?

Trap Screen Sample
Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I did not take a screenshot, but here is a link. (Obviously this is NOT the error I got, this is just a sample of what the screen looks like). If you click the "click here" link, you get to the details.

Are you getting something like this?

Trap Screen Sample
Ah, ok.

No, I don't get that... when this issue occurs (and I just had it do it a moment ago) SageTV will just pause (the little swirly thing may briefly popup) and then the application will disappear. No word, no warning, no nothing. It doesn't drop to the taskbar nor does it disappear into the tray (lower right corner). It just closes -- but SageTVService.exe is still running/recording.