SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

EVR option is no longer an option...

I'm running the latest Sage client on Vista64 and I was having issues with EVR rendering on some files and on all DVDs so I had set both to VMR9 so they would work. I suspected that it's a codec/decoder conflicts so I reinstalled the vista codec pack and rebooted but then EVR wasn't even listed as an option in detailed setup anymore. I've since uninstalled the codec pack completely but EVR is still AWOL.

I could reinstall the client but I doubt that's it and I really don't want to reinstall vista and everything else. Anything else that I can check?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 AM

One easy thing to check is to make sure that you are using Aero. I could be wrong, but I think Aero must be active for EVR to work.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Jay View Post
One easy thing to check is to make sure that you are using Aero. I could be wrong, but I think Aero must be active for EVR to work.
Thanks for the input...

I am using aero, modified aero but it is aero. Also it was semi-working/available, as is, before and I haven't changed anything "theme" related since install.

Any other things I can check?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

regsvr32 evr.dll
Old 02-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
regsvr32 evr.dll
Thanks, I'll have to reboot later tonight to see if that worked.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

I finally got around to rebooting my WS and nope, that didn't work.

It's not that EVR doesn't work in Vista64, it's that it's just not an option in the Sage client.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EVR-works.jpg (114.0 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg evr-broke.jpg (65.1 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by S_M_E; 02-17-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to Kryspy
S M E

I have been struggling with this as well. I am using Vista 32 Business Edition.

I have a Gigabyte 780G chipset with a ATI 3200 IGP

Here is how I got Sagetv going with EVR everything this morning.

1) updated Directx runtimes
2) installed ATI 8.8 drivers
3) installed SAF driver pack 3.30 found in the Mediaportal forums under support/codecs with instructions on home to extract just the codec from Powerdvd 8 setup.
4) installed CCCP driver pack with Mastroka
5) installed Sagetv and set up as usual and set DVD and H.264 to PowerDVD in the properties file.

All works for me so far.

Kryspy

Kryspy
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Did you not have the EVR option too or were you just having problems rendering some files with EVR? I don't even have the option anymore although I was having rendering issues before the option disappeared too.

Also:
Why 8.8 when 9.1 is out?
Why SAF 3.30 when there appears to be a 3.41?
Why just the PDVD8 codec and not the whole thing?

Thanks for the info...
Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

I was just having rendering problems on DVD (shaky menus).

8.8 hasn't broken hardware acceleration; ATI is known for fixing one thing and breaking two more.

Anything past SAF 3.30 requires Mediaportal to be installed as it checks for it as far as I know. No need for the whole PowerDVD program to be installed.

All I know is it worked for me and seeing as how fussy Sagetv is I ain't fooling with what works. I reproduced the results twice so it wasn't a fluke for me. Everything runs like glass right now.

Kryspy
Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

OK, I'm not sure that what you did will fix my missing EVR options but once I get that fixed it could fix the rendering problems I had.

How do you know 9.1 hasn't fixed the broken HA, is that the word from the ATI forums or something?

The SAF thread says that PDVD8 isn't compatible with SAF but it also says that AC3Filter isn't compatible and Sage installs that by default. Are you noticing any audio issues with SAF and AC3Filter both installed or are you using something different for audio?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Nope all works fine here. I am now trying a full PowerDVD install + CCCP codec pack and will let you know if it works.

I know 8.12 and 9.1 are broken because they give me issues. I don't need an official statement to tell me if one works and one doesn't that it is indeed broken

Kryspy

P.S. Nope. Full PowerDVD install gave me the shaky shakes. Gonna try a 9.1 ATi driver install and teh SAF codecs etc.

Last edited by Kryspy; 02-17-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Okay maybe the ATI drivers weren't broke afterall.

Ati catalyst 9.1 + SAF 3.30 + CCCP pack =

Kryspy
Old 02-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

I think I'll just try SAF+CCCP I'd prefer to not remove PDVD8 and I never had issues with it before...
Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
I finally got around to rebooting my WS and nope, that didn't work.

It's not that EVR doesn't work in Vista64, it's that it's just not an option in the Sage client.

Any ideas?
you could try regsvr32 stvevrprstr.dll (located in program files\sage tv\sage tv). I think sage uses it's registration as a proxy for EVR support on the system.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
you could try regsvr32 stvevrprstr.dll (located in program files\sage tv\sage tv). I think sage uses it's registration as a proxy for EVR support on the system.
Still no go but I do appreciate the effort. I even tried reinstalling the Sage client. *shrug*
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

S M E

I'd do a system restore prior to mucking with the codecs and drivers and go from there.

The thing that irks me is I find Sage in general to be one of the most unstable pieces of software I have ever worked with. Albeit I am using SageMC so I guess I cannot blame Sage solely. If I back out of a menu too fast menus vanish, folders in video section vanish, Sage locks up etc.

Pertsonally I cannot see myself using this as a whole home PVR app with the stability issues I am seeing. The WAF for me would be divorce. I know it is only TV but I want something that runs relatively hiccup free. Maybe an extender would yield better stability as it takes out the codec issues and what not.

Kryspy

Last edited by Kryspy; 02-17-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

System Restore might be possible and it might work, I can pin-point dates where it did work, partially. I'd rather not do it that way but unless I find another way that might be my only option.

I wouldn't call it unstable but changes can effect it. Tweaking on it doesn't always help. Once configured and running it's very stable. The problem, sometimes, getting it there.

I've used the client for years. I have less problems on the server but, then again, I don't install and change as much on the server either. Regardless, I want this to work on my client so I have to find a fix. That said, VMR9 is working so it's not like I'm in the dark. I just want EVR to work too, like it should.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

OK, System Restore didn't work but turning off UAC did work so I shut down the client and copied the sageclient.properties to the virtualstore location and EVR became optional again. Now I just have to get EVR working with all of my media.

1 problem down...
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I have my SageTV Client running on Vista x64. Before ever running the client I made sure that all users had write access to the SageTV folders. Now when I run my client all configuration files are put into the SageTV directory instead of in the virtual store. No need to disable UAC.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

OK, issue resolved:
1) I did a clean OS install of Vista64 (plus all updates)
2) Installed ATI Cat 9.2 drivers
3) Installed Sage Client
4) Installed Media portal (just to use the latest SAF)
5) Installed Haali media splitter
6) Installed SAF 3.44 (thanks to Kryspy for the SAF info)
7) Restarted the Sage Client
8) Selected EVR and Cyberlink PDVD 9 for DVD and Video/Audio sections of Detailed Setup

Now everything I have plays using EVR although I do see a flicker (every .5 second) in the OSD when watching SDTV and AVI files that I can live with, so far.

EDIT:
The flicker was solved by turning off animation.

Last edited by S_M_E; 03-10-2009 at 11:05 PM.