SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-07-2004, 10:29 AM

SageTV and digital Cable setup

If I setup my WinPVr-250 and SageTV to the cable line, I can get the 125 channels fine.

If I set my cable up from the digital cable box, I can get the 300+ cable channels, but I have to set SageTV to channel 3 and use a remote or manually change the cable box to change channels.

Is there any way to have SageTV be able to control channel changes so I can record on the channels above the standard 125 w/o having to be around to pre-set it to the right channel?

tia!
Old 03-07-2004, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

You'll need a set top box that supports serial cable control, or you'll need an IR blaster such as the USB-UIRT or Actisys.

You want to remove your 250 as a source in SageTV and re-add it using the wizard. The wizard will give you the option to make it an Svideo or composite source for an external cable or satellite receiver. Make sure you scroll the lists during the setup wizard so that you don't miss any options.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:06 PM

Thanks Stuart,

You mentioned that I should make the source "Svideo or composite source "--does it matter which one?

Thanks!
Michael
Old 03-07-2004, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Choose the one you are using physically.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Sage Expert

I am doing this setup tomorrow. What I am thinking of is adding the composite in on the PVR 250 as another tuner and then assigning the high channels to the composite in. Will this work? What my goal is, when I select all channels available on the PVR 250's internal tuner that it changes channel on the PVR 250 and NOT the cable box, I have just gotten delivery of the USB-UIRT and so not sure how this will work.
My thought process is that this way I will have the cable box still usable as a 3rd source if both internal PVR 250s are recording.
Does this work? or does Sage automatically decide that it will always use a pvr internal tuner first? I am not sure how the PVR 250will work with both tuner and composite working on the same card. Will it work on composite instead of channel 3?
Patrick
Old 03-08-2004, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

If you set up two sources (RF + Composite) on one tuner you should be fine, just remember to disable all the channels available on RF from the Composite source.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Sage Expert

Ok,, have tried to set the composite and tuner on one card BUT when I run the setup wizard to do this, it deletes the tv tuner settings and just gives composite.
Also at this moment USB-UIRT is not changing cable box channels, I select the Motorola DCT 2000 on the setup list BUT my box is the DCT 2244 and so they seem incompatible.
Arrrgghhh...

Patrick
Old 03-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Sage Expert

Ok,.. now I got the cable box changing channels BUT I still have the problem with not being able to assign both tuner and composite to the same PVR 250 and for some reason when I unassign a channel on one PVR 250 it also gets unassigned in the other card also? This is Sage 2 latest beta, is this a bug or am I doing something really wrong.
Is this all supposed to work i.e. assign one card with tuner only, second card with tuner and composite and then deselect channels on the second card which are available on the first tuner card and so make Sage only switch to cable box when it needs the higher channels?
Would clearing out all the previous card settings and starting from scratch help? How do I clear all the tuner cards correctly out of Sage?
Patrick
Old 03-08-2004, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

I think you just go "Add a New Source" then select the desired card, TV Tuner, etc.

If that doesn't work I'll have to defer to someone who's actually done this.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have my system set up this way. As I recall, you have to have each source (i.e. tuner and composite) associated with a different service provider. For example, for the tuner (channels 78 and under) I chose Charter Basic Cable as the service provider. For the composite input I chose Charter Extended Digital Cable. All of the channels show up in the guide, and all channels over 78 are from the digital cable box, controlled by an Actisys ir blaster.

Good Luck,
Andrew
Old 03-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Sage Expert

Cool, that worked great, just selected Comcast (non-digital) for the built in tuners and Comcast Digital for the composite. All works great.
Only problem I have at present is that some of the channels are changing to for instance 182 changes to 82. How can I change the ir file to get this corrected?
Is there any users of Comcast with a correct ir file?
Thanks so much for all the help
Patrick
Old 03-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Sage Expert

Another question, with Sage client, how do I select channels on the digital cable box? When I try to select at present, it is giving me a black screen or the current channel freezes.
Patrick