SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Sage Icon

2 tuners + padding question

I have just installed the trial version and want to get another pvr-250 for dual tuners. I am wondering how SageTV records back2back shows with padding? Is it done automatically to have show1 done by tuner1 and show2 by tuner2? Do I have to setup each recording and which tuner it uses for every back2back schedule?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Sage Icon

In the release version, recordings of back2back shows with padding use a single tuner with no padding between the shows. However, I believe I have read where this was changed in the beta to use multiple tuners so you get the requested padding.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Back to back, meaning on the same channel, right? As Carlgar says, v1.4 w/2 tuners records them on the same tuner such that show 1 has no end padding & show 2 has no start padding. V2 does the same, but now has a property option to force them to use 2 tuners so that both shows retain all of the start & end padding if that is what you prefer.

Just in case you were referring to back to back shows that are NOT on the same channel, then those padded shows will conflict & must be recorded on separate tuners. The padding that intrudes into any time slot before/after that recording will prevent any show from being recorded in those time slots. (I've used negative padding to get around that, but some people have reported strange results using negative padding.)

No user involvement is required for telling which tuner any show should be rcorded on. SageTV does that automatically.

- Andy
Old 03-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Sage Icon

b2b

Quote:
V2 does the same, but now has a property option to force them to use 2 tuners so that both shows retain all of the start & end padding if that is what you prefer.
Is this a one time setting or does it need to be set for each individual b2b shows? And as the epg updates and adds recordings, does it again need to be set?
Old 03-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Administrator

It is a setting in the Sage.properties file, so it is a permanent configuration setting... well, permanent unless you change it again. (Here's a tip, since you are a new user: if you ever need to change a setting in the properties file, exit SageTV completely first, otherwise it will overwrite any changes you make to that file when it rewrites it while exiting.) Remember -- the new setting is only in v2.

- Andy
Old 04-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Sage Icon

@Opus4
Quote:
Back to back, meaning on the same channel, right? As Carlgar says, v1.4 w/2 tuners records them on the same tuner such that show 1 has no end padding & show 2 has no start padding. V2 does the same, but now has a property option to force them to use 2 tuners so that both shows retain all of the start & end padding if that is what you prefer.
If they are not on same channel, then they use 2 tuners and pad start & end of shows. Cool, but is that for v2 only or is it with the regular release too?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Padded back-to-back shows on different channels always record on separate tuners, regardless of version. That's a 'standard' feature.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Sage Icon

where is the option?

I have version2 installed and was wondering where the option to use padding of back2back recordings that are on the same channell?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Re: where is the option?

V2 Release Notes, line 22, V2.0.13:
Quote:
And Frey sayeth: 22. Added property "remove_padding_on_back_to_back_favorites". It defaults to true; if set to false padding will not be removed when Favorites are back-to-back on the same channel (which'll cause conflicts unless you have multiple tuners).
- Andy
Old 04-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Sage User

The wife loves it. The VCR has gotten little use in the last month since I built the HTPC.

Tip: if you make a real HTPC, it's going to be across the den from you. Most "wireless" keyboards & mice are good for 3-6 feet. I picked the Interlink Communicator (price about $80, less if you find a rebate) which does RF (radio frequency) not infrared and is good for 30'.

Wow factor is good. I just did a 60 minute presentation on "Building a Home Theater PC" at the Cajun Clickers Computer Club (http://www.clickers.org) on Thursday night, with a very good response.

Terry

Case Lian Li PC-A71F, Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P, CPU Intel Core i7-860, RAM 8 GB, Encoders 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250's, VideoCard PowerCooler AX4350, OS Windows 7 Pro, SageTV 6.6.2, SageTV Media Extender, SageTV Client, SageTV PlaceShifter, Sage Webserver.