SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Dual boot with Win7 - how does Sage licensing work?

I want to try installing Win7 on my main PC at home in a Vista, Win7 dual boot setup. On Vista I am running SageClient (I only have one SageClient license). Will I be able to run SageClient on this PC on the Win7 partition and have it recognize the license or will I have to keep unregistering and reregistering licenses each time I switch OSes?

Can I point the Win7 install to the Vista license file, or even use the Sage folder on the Vista partition? If so I think it might have issues with drive letters as I believe in this instance the Win7 partition (it will actually be a different hard drive in my instance) will become the C drive and then the Vista drive will have to use a different letter. Or could I even just copy the Sage folder from the Vista drive to the C drive after installing a new version of SageClient to keep all of my existing settings.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't believe there is anything from stopping you from installing SageTV on say D:\Program Files\SageTV? I know you can in XP.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

That's true Joe - but when I install it and I go to enter my license key will it say - sorry that key has already been used? Or are you suggesting that I install it on the D drive in Win7 (which will likely be the C drive in Vista) and it will use the existing license key from my Vista install?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not at all the licence key is kept in the Registry. So just have a D: partition that you can have in common with both Vista and Win 7 then install Sage from each system on the D: disk. All the properties and the wiz.bin etc will then be common to both systems.

I just installed Sage on my D: disk on a vista system and it does work. That is if the UAC god will allow it . I have UAC turned off . I don't have Win 7 on this system but am running in a VM. So far so good
Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

To clarify it's the server that has the final say on the validity of the license. You can have 10 clients with the same key but the server will only allow the first one to connect.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Sage Icon

Correct... I wonder if you'll have to restart the service or since the license and hardware (mac address, IP, etc) is all the same, it may just work.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

There is no need to restart the server.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
SageTVaholic

OK - I see what you are saying. I think the issue will be is that I will then have to install Sage on a paritition that is not the boot partition/disk for either Vista or Win7. Apparently when you install Win7 on a PC that already has Vista the Win7 boot partition becomes C. If you want to continue to use your Vista partition/disk then you have to go into Disk Management and rename the Vista disk so that it will be a letter other than C so it is visible while running Win7. It is likely the same for Win7 when you boot up with Vista as your OS.

Therefore it might make sense to set up a separate partition that is E where I install SageTV (and potentially other apps) and then toggle C and D between Vista and Win7.

If I don't want to lose some of my current settings can I just copy over my sageclient.properties to this new disk? Will the sageclient.properties contain any hard coded paths that would include c: in the path? Actually it may make sense to copy over other folders to make sure that stuff like STVs and STVis get copied over as they appear to come from the local drive in Client rather than from the server.