SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Sage Icon

since you say using WMP across the network on a client works fine, are you sure the same hardware decoding is being used for both Sage & WMP on the clients?
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 01-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
since you say using WMP across the network on a client works fine, are you sure the same hardware decoding is being used for both Sage & WMP on the clients?
I have PowerDVD 8 set as the decoder for both.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
I have PowerDVD 8 set as the decoder for both.
PowerDVD decoders actually have per-application settings. I don't remember the registry keys off the top of my head. I use ffdshow audio decoder which allows you to right click the icon in the system tray and open up the filter properties for all currently loaded filters (if they have a config dialog).
Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Sage Icon

OK. If you have 2 recordings going and on a client you drag and drop an SD video file across the network onto SageTVPlayer.exe what happens?
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 PM

Give this a try on the client fine by editing the Sage.properties file look for always_use_dshow_player= change false to true restart the client
Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Give this a try on the client fine by editing the Sage.properties file look for always_use_dshow_player= change false to true restart the client
Don't think this matters given the issue happens on my extender as well and there is no properties file for that.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
OK. If you have 2 recordings going and on a client you drag and drop an SD video file across the network onto SageTVPlayer.exe what happens?
Did a couple tests tonight. When I record 2 channels then play a separate SD file on a separate hard drive via the SageTVPlayer.exe, it plays smooth as silk from the start.

If I do the previous email's scenario where I record 2 channels then play the live TV show in the SageTVPlayer.exe, again, it is also smooth as silk.... yet when I play the same live recording show in Sage itself I get the typical jerky playback.

What could cause the difference in the SageTVPlayer.exe and playing it directly within Sage?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 PM

Oh I see your extender as well
Just wondering dose extender plays smooth with out client playing and other way a round?.
What if you server is playing and one of the fallowing extender playing or client playing dose it still play smooth?

Last edited by SHS; 01-29-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 PM

SageTVPlayer.exe is for MPEG4 Playback if you look in Detailed Setup under Video/Audio you have two option under MPEG4 Playback Directshow or SageTV Player.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
SageTVPlayer.exe is for MPEG4 Playback if you look in Detailed Setup under Video/Audio you have two option under MPEG4 Playback Directshow or SageTV Player.
And what would be the reason why Windows users would use the SageTV Player vs. the directshow playback option?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Are you running any Comskip or ccextractor against the files as they are recorded? CCextractor gave me the same symptoms you have, so I stopped extracting CC until it was completed. Just a thought...
DEFAULT STV
Comskip triggered by DirMON2 --- HD100 / HD200 /HD300
BMI fanart
Old 01-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckwell View Post
Are you running any Comskip or ccextractor against the files as they are recorded? CCextractor gave me the same symptoms you have, so I stopped extracting CC until it was completed. Just a thought...
Nope. My comskip is set to not run on live TV so I can confirm no EDL files are created until after a show has completed recording.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
And what would be the reason why Windows users would use the SageTV Player vs. the directshow playback option?
Is the problem ONLY with viewing live recordings or any SD recording? If it's only live recordings then it might be a buffering issue. On my system I can't watch anything live without pausing it first for about 10-15 seconds and running behind the live feed, otherwise, jerky video. This happens with any of my tuners.

I think I missed the fact that you are also using an extender. Does the jerky problem happen with it as well?

SageTVPlayer (mplayer) is mostly a fall back for a lack of MPEG4 and other file container decoders in your system. But the fact that it works (on your PC client) might be pointing to some issue with the merit settings in your decoding chain or other problem with your Video/Audio settings in Sage. As I understand it, SageTVPlayer is using one set of decoders (its own) and DirectShow, those installed on your system, which in your case is CyberLink. Does the jerkiness happen no matter what viewing method: EVR, Overlay, VMR9?

The HD files playing OK is a mystery though. We're talking about MPEG2 files that are the problem here, right? And the HD files are also MPEG2?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Is the problem ONLY with viewing live recordings or any SD recording? If it's only live recordings then it might be a buffering issue. On my system I can't watch anything live without pausing it first for about 10-15 seconds and running behind the live feed, otherwise, jerky video. This happens with any of my tuners.
I previously posted that yes, it is jerky when I playback either a SD live recording and also jerky when I playback a totally separate SD file on a separate hard drive (which leads me to think SD playback in general when 2 channels are recording). Maybe I should install another HVR-2250 to really make things jerky

Quote:
I think I missed the fact that you are also using an extender. Does the jerky problem happen with it as well?
Yes. Same story on my extender as on my client PC as on my server's client. In all 3 cases, SD playback while 2 SD channels record causes jerky playback ON ALL CLIENTS.

Quote:
SageTVPlayer (mplayer) is mostly a fall back for a lack of MPEG4 and other file container decoders in your system. But the fact that it works (on your PC client) might be pointing to some issue with the merit settings in your decoding chain or other problem with your Video/Audio settings in Sage. As I understand it, SageTVPlayer is using one set of decoders (its own) and DirectShow, those installed on your system, which in your case is CyberLink. Does the jerkiness happen no matter what viewing method: EVR, Overlay, VMR9?
Haven't tried... but shouldn't matter given my previous response of... it happens on an extender too...
Quote:
The HD files playing OK is a mystery though. We're talking about MPEG2 files that are the problem here, right? And the HD files are also MPEG2?
Yes... both are MPEG2 files that I recorded using Sage.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm, it's a mystery.

I assume you've seen this thread about the HVR-2250? Seems to be a problem child.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38950

It would be interesting if you could pull the 2250 out of the picture for a test and substitute some other tuner(s) to see what happens and at least eliminate it as the cause. But for some reason, I think the problem lies elsewhere.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I do not use UNC or mapped paths. I will try that out as well and see what happens. Let me know how your testing goes.
Well, I only had a chance to try one show live on 2 clients at same time the other day, but it did NOT have the stutter using UNC. But, like you said, it didn't make a difference for you anyway.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Sage Expert

To inject a little more humor into this, you're probably thinking, who cares about SD anymore? Great question... I'd much rather have Sage focus time on Netflix/Hulu support than fixing a silly SD issue like this (guess this is an excuse to get more HD tuners
Old 01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Sage User

You should try latest drivers, available on SHS unofficial forum.
They are newer than the ones on hauppauge FTP.
also as you talking about SD vs. HD or analog Vs digital?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicu_n View Post
You should try latest drivers, available on SHS unofficial forum.
They are newer than the ones on hauppauge FTP.
also as you talking about SD vs. HD or analog Vs digital?
I just tried the 27023 from SHS's site and no luck there. And I'm talking analog I guess (the non digital stream that the HVR-2250 can record).
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Sage Expert

UPDATE: After going through a ton of different scenarios with Sage support, we narrowed it down to truly being an issue with the Hauppauge card or drivers and nothing to do with Sage. In a nutshell, whenever I record 2 SD channels simultaneously, the resulting .mpg files, when played back are always jerky/stuttery regardless of where I play it back (e.g. in Sage, in VLC, in Windows Media Player). This is clearly an issue with the recording itself.

Note that this issue ONLY occurs with 2 SD channels simultaneously recording and does NOT occur if recording 2 QAM/HD, or 1 SD. I have since filed a bug with Hauppauge's support so we'll see what happens! Appreciate everyone's great ideas and help towards resolving this.