SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Finally fixed my deinterlacing issues with the HD Extender...

Just bought a DVDO Edge video processor. It sucks to have to throw that much cash at it, but the combing was driving me NUTS. As a side benefit, the mosquito noise reduction seems pretty good as well; it makes a pretty dramatic difference for animation.

I ran the DVD version of the HQV benchmark disk through the HD-100, it it passes all of the tests with flying colors now! (It had better....)
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I think a VP might be in my future. My projector has a HQV Reon VX processor and I thought that was about as good as I was going to get (ie a better processor wouldn't be a noticable improvement). Well I got a new Pioneer 51FB, and it's deinterlacing/scaling is noticeably better than the Reon VX.

So.... Time to start saving for that AVM50 V2.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yeah, I think a VP might be in my future. My projector has a HQV Reon VX processor and I thought that was about as good as I was going to get (ie a better processor wouldn't be a noticable improvement). Well I got a new Pioneer 51FB, and it's deinterlacing/scaling is noticeably better than the Reon VX.

So.... Time to start saving for that AVM50 V2.
Check out the Edge. What impressed me most is that it integrates very cleanly with my existing receiver. It's like I upgraded to a new one that had the same audio, but now includes awesome video processing and a bunch more inputs. They even have discrete off and on buttons on the remote in case you have to learn via IR instead of using the discrete hex codes on the support site.

About the only thing it won't deal with well is custom resolutions and funky timings (which doesn't matter for me, may for you depending on your projector setup). Oh, and you lose per-input audio tweaking (like gain adjustment) because all of the audio get routed through the edge for lup-sync. I've had that for years and never used it though.
2x Roku XD
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
Check out the Edge. What impressed me most is that it integrates very cleanly with my existing receiver. It's like I upgraded to a new one that had the same audio, but now includes awesome video processing and a bunch more inputs. They even have discrete off and on buttons on the remote in case you have to learn via IR instead of using the discrete hex codes on the support site.
The Edge doesn't have the AR controls I need though.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The Edge doesn't have the AR controls I need though.
Suck! That's a bummer. What are you doing with AR? An anamorphic lens on the projector or something?
2x Roku XD
Old 01-25-2009, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
An anamorphic lens on the projector or something?
Yup, exactly. I need AR presets, or maybe I should say if I'm paying money for a VP I require them.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Slipshod,

just curious if you could elaborate on your overall impression of using the DVDO Edge with the HD100. How dramatic a difference has it made, and do you feel it's been worth the $$? Results more dramatic with SD or HD? Could you describe your connections (I assume sending native resolution from HD100 to DVDO.) Also, how does the A/V automated lip sync thing work?

Thanks in advance.

cheers,
Dave
Old 02-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitz43 View Post
just curious if you could elaborate on your overall impression of using the DVDO Edge with the HD100. How dramatic a difference has it made, and do you feel it's been worth the $$? Results more dramatic with SD or HD? Could you describe your connections (I assume sending native resolution from HD100 to DVDO.) Also, how does the A/V automated lip sync thing work?
I'm still on the fence as to weather it was worth the money. A lot will depend on your video display, as well as the source. It makes a big difference for SD content on my display since my TV doesn't support 480i over HDMI. The HD-100's deinterlacer isn't very good (only uses flags, no cadence), so a bunch of the SD content I get from the R5000 on Dish Network is improperly deinterlaced to 480p before being passed to the TV. Some works OK, and it has to do with what the progressive/interlaced flag was set to in the original stream. Comedy Central was especially bad, as werre most of the SD channels that were not locals.

The HQV Benchmark DVD looks a TON better, and passes all the tests to my eye. This doesn't translate into obviously better video quality on things that are already being deinterlaced and/or scaled well though.

For HD, I don't notice a huge difference, but I also haven't tried to compare by looking at the signal without it again. I haven't run the HQV Blu-Ray benchmark yet (I have it, just had problems with the HD-100 recognizing VC-1 initially. I'll try again soon).

Setup:
HD-100 to HDMI1 on DVDO, HDMI audio.
Xbox 360 to Component 1, toslink audio.
Wii to Component 2, analog audio

HDMI out 1 from DVDO to TV.
Toslink out to a Yamaha receiver (there is an HDMI out option for audio as well for 7-channel HDMI audio)

HD-100 set to 1080p with native resolution switching enabled.

Lets you mess with over/underscan, but is pretty limited.
Control over picture settings per-input.
Remote has discrete on and off buttons on it.
Easy to setup
Accepts 480i over HDMI and deinterlaces it well. :-)
Lip Sync works.

Dislikes:
The mosquito noise reduction is pretty useless. It helps SD animation from Dish, but even the lowest setting introduces sparkles along edges in Cars.
Lose ability to customize gain per input on the receiver (all audio is coming in through one input).

Haven't seen the PReP kick in for any of my sources yet, so can't comment on that. Lip Sync is preserverd as it delays all audio the correct ammount to compensate for the video processing. It won't fix audio sync that's already there though.
2x Roku XD