SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Watching OnDemand and PPV - My Solution.

One thing I've missed since using SageTV is the ability to watch OnDemand and PPV (Time Warner Cable). Although I can tune to the OnDemand channels by enabling them in my HDPVR's channel setup there is no way to scroll through the choices and select the movies I want to watch.

I've come across a Rube Goldberg solution. I have a Hava streaming unit which we use for local channels when we are out of town during the winter. I also just received a Nokia N810 internet tablet and installed the Hava mobile player. The set top box is controlled by both the USB-UIRT IR blaster and the Hava units IR blaster.

Here is how it works... I tune to the TW OnDemand channel using my SageTV (Harmony) remote. I then tune to the same channel using the Hava player on the Nokia N810. Using the N810 as a remote I can then select movies to preview or play. The Hava player's virtual remote allows for almost all of the functions of the original set top box remote.

As an added bonus, while we are away for the winter, if we lose power at home I can toggle it back on for the set top box with the Hava Player. Using the set top boxes switched outlet also allows me to restart or reboot the HDPVR units. The PC has the BIOS set to restart on a power outage.

Of course all of this can be done with the Hava player on a laptop versus the N810.

Are there alternate solutions for OnDemand or PPV?

Rich

Last edited by dadof4; 01-07-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Sage User

A definite candidate for most Rube Goldberg of the year... no offense
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Sage Icon

I'm glad I don't use either PPV or OnDemand.

S
Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
I'm glad I don't use either PPV or OnDemand.
I'm glad that I don't even use STBs, I just split my cable into my tuners and stick to basic cable.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post
A definite candidate for most Rube Goldberg of the year... no offense
None taken!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

Look at the on screen remote in the customizations section. You can map all remote buttons to any device if you have a USBUIRT or other supported blaster or RS232 control.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Sage User

I don't watch OnDemand much myself but my solution is to bypass Sage altogether. My Harmony 880 remote has a TV activity which remaps itself to my STB remote and switches to another input on my television that carries the passthrough signal on the Hauppauge HD-PVR. I never thought about recording something from OnDemand or PPV though.