SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Sage User

Question MVP searching for network

When I start up the media mvp, it just searches for network and can't find any. I stopped Hauppauge's software and still nothing. I turned off Beyond TV and still nothing. I uninstalled Hauppauge and beyond, still nothing. I unistalled Sage and reinstalled, still nothing. I do have it enabled for server and extended media. I said yes to Sage changing XP firewall for server. Is there something else that I'm missing? the hauppage software works without any problems.

I have XP pro SP3, dual core pc, 2 Gb ram (plenty enough computer power). the router is Netgear WGR614v5 with the latest firmware. The setup is wired, not wireless.

Ok SageTV help forum. Here is your chance to make a sale. I currently use BeyondTV services but want to setup an Media MVP. If SageTV can do it, then I will buy the product. I currently have 15 days left on my trial.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Sage Icon

What version of Sage are you using? At some point Sage broke my MVP, but now it is working again with most recent beta (6.5.6). Do you get a message that says it can't find a network or do you mean it can't find the sage server? Is it the wired
MVP or a wireless that you have connected via wire?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
What version of Sage are you using? At some point Sage broke my MVP, but now it is working again with most recent beta (6.5.6). Do you get a message that says it can't find a network or do you mean it can't find the sage server? Is it the wired
MVP or a wireless that you have connected via wire?
It is the version that Sage has you download for the trial (6.4), I just installed it a couple of days ago, I didn't try any beta version. I don't know how to either. It says that it can't find a network, then trys searching forever. It is wired.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM
SageTVaholic

There is an option in the server setup in the detailed setup screens that turns on Sage to connect to extenders. Did you set this property? Also, what about any firewalls? You need to disable any firewalls otherwise your computer in general will not be able to talk to the MVP.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
There is an option in the server setup in the detailed setup screens that turns on Sage to connect to extenders. Did you set this property? Also, what about any firewalls? You need to disable any firewalls otherwise your computer in general will not be able to talk to the MVP.
I said yes during install to enable server and enable media extender. I checked this in detailed setup and they both are enabled. I said yes to sage tv configuring my xp firewall so that it could be used as server. I don't know if the router has any firewall or not, I tried port forwarding on the router as described in other threads. however, it wouldn't do it because it isn't wireless. I don't know much about networking, but I guess since it is a wired setup, I don't need port forwarding.

Also, the hauppauge software worked without any problems. Again, I don't know much about networking, but it makes sense to me that firewalls aren't stopping me if that software could make it through. that software has been removed though for sage.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Sage Icon

Haved you removed power from the MVP since removing the Hauppauge software? I suggest you remove power for at least 5 minutes and then see what happens when you try to bring it it. I am very confused by the message you are getting, I cannot understand what it is trying to say. I think it may be a message from the Hauppauge loaded software.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Haved you removed power from the MVP since removing the Hauppauge software? I suggest you remove power for at least 5 minutes and then see what happens when you try to bring it it. I am very confused by the message you are getting, I cannot understand what it is trying to say. I think it may be a message from the Hauppauge loaded software.
Yes, the message is from hauppage. It acts like that is still there and can't find a network. I have unplugged the power (based on other threads). I even unplugged for 24 hours. It still comes up with trying to load hauppauge software, then searching for network, can't find network, searching for network... and stays like that.

You mentioned something about a beta software that helped, how to I find that?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

The beta software is here http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=38324, but I would be surprised if that fixes the problem.

The MVP has a bootstrap program that should be downloading the mvp.bin sage program. It does not sound like that is working. It seems more like the MVP is still trying to execute the hauppauge software. Are you sure you removed all of the Hauppauge software?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Sage User

I may have a similar problem but I never loaded Hauppauge software or BeyondTV. I have a wired MediaMVP purchased direct from Sage that I have not used in a while. It was working fine lat time I used it. My HTPC that hosts the Sage server is running XP Pro SP3 and the latest Sage 6.4 software release with the server/media extender options enabled and OnceCare firewall disabled. I tried powering down the MediaMVP for 5 minutes. When I power it up, the yellow LED on the left side of the Ethernet jack does not come on for a few minutes then stays on solid. The greed LED on the right side of the Ethernet jack never lights. I connected my laptop to the same Ethernet cable and can connect to my network fine (WiFi disabled so I know it's connecting via wire). The MediaMVP eventually boots to the "MediaMVP Preferred Server" screen with nothing listed under the "Full computer name/IP Address/Preferred" and a message indicating "No streaming server found". Is there a way to reset the MediaMVP? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantmyhtpc View Post
I may have a similar problem but I never loaded Hauppauge software or BeyondTV. I have a wired MediaMVP purchased direct from Sage that I have not used in a while. It was working fine lat time I used it. My HTPC that hosts the Sage server is running XP Pro SP3 and the latest Sage 6.4 software release with the server/media extender options enabled and OnceCare firewall disabled. I tried powering down the MediaMVP for 5 minutes. When I power it up, the yellow LED on the left side of the Ethernet jack does not come on for a few minutes then stays on solid. The greed LED on the right side of the Ethernet jack never lights. I connected my laptop to the same Ethernet cable and can connect to my network fine (WiFi disabled so I know it's connecting via wire). The MediaMVP eventually boots to the "MediaMVP Preferred Server" screen with nothing listed under the "Full computer name/IP Address/Preferred" and a message indicating "No streaming server found". Is there a way to reset the MediaMVP? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
This sounds like the MVP is unable to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server. Do you know if you have a DHCP server running? Does your laptop use a dynamic or static IP address?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
The MVP has a bootstrap program that should be downloading the mvp.bin sage program. It does not sound like that is working. It seems more like the MVP is still trying to execute the hauppauge software. Are you sure you removed all of the Hauppauge software?
before you said this, I have unistalled hauppauge, saw that it had some other processes running, ended those, then erased entire hauppauge folder out of program files folder. I have also cleared any registry errors with easy registry. So maybe there is still something that i am missing. I will list the processes that I have running, maybe someone will notice if one of them is a hauppauge process.

alg.exe / local service
AppleMobileDevice / system
avgrsx.exe / system
avgwdsvc.exe / system
csrss.exe / system
ctfmon.exe / user
explorer.exe / user
iexplore.exe / user
jqs.exe / system
jusched.exe / user
lsass.exe / system
lssrvc.exe system
mDNSResponder / system
nvsvc32.exe / system
rundll32.exe / user
sagetv.exe / user
services.exe / system
smss.exe / system
spoolsv.exe / system
stacsv.exe / system
sttray.exe / user
svchost.exe / system
svchost.exe / network service
svchost.exe / system
svchost.exe / network service
svchost.exe / local service
system / system
system idle process / system
taskmgr.exe / user
wdfmgr.exe / local service
winlogon.exe / system
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
This sounds like the MVP is unable to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server. Do you know if you have a DHCP server running? Does your laptop use a dynamic or static IP address?
Thanks for the reply. I do have a DHCP server running, my laptop and a few desktops get dynamic IP's. I do have a printer that has a static IP assigned but it is outside of the range of IP's the DHCP server assigns.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Sage Icon

I just verified that my wired MVP does boot properly with both the current beta and the 6.4 version. I have to conclude that both of you have some type of network issues.

iwantmyhtpc can you make a wireshark capture of what happens when you try to boot the MVP?

ttiell, do you have multiple network cards on your server?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I just verified that my wired MVP does boot properly with both the current beta and the 6.4 version. I have to conclude that both of you have some type of network issues.

iwantmyhtpc can you make a wireshark capture of what happens when you try to boot the MVP?

ttiell, do you have multiple network cards on your server?
Great idea... forgot about that. I will do it tonight after work. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Sage User

back to orginal problem

Sorry to interupt, but I am having a problem using this software also. For the other guy having problems, I hope it gets solved. However, it could be done on another thread. You are taking away the help that I need.

Back to my problem. I just want to re-iterate, I am on the trial version of sageTV. If you (sage) would like me to purchase this product, which I'm guessing that you would. I need some help first. I can't convince my wife that it is okay to buy this if it doesn't work any better than beyond tv which we already have. so can someone look through the previous discussion to help me out. Let me know if you need anymore information from me.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Sage Icon

You should contact Sage support for better information. The support form allows for trial users. I don't think sage is responding to the boot up of the MVP. Have you tried reinstalling the Sage software since you disabled the Hauppauge and beyond software? Do you have multiple NICs on your server? Can you get a wireshark capture when you try to connect?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

So the MVP can't get an IP and can't find a network. Take it to one of the working PC on the network and plug the MVP into there. If that works then it's either the cable or the jack giving you an issue from where you had it plugged in.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttiell View Post
Sorry to interupt, but I am having a problem using this software also. For the other guy having problems, I hope it gets solved. However, it could be done on another thread. You are taking away the help that I need.

Back to my problem. I just want to re-iterate, I am on the trial version of sageTV. If you (sage) would like me to purchase this product, which I'm guessing that you would. I need some help first. I can't convince my wife that it is okay to buy this if it doesn't work any better than beyond tv which we already have. so can someone look through the previous discussion to help me out. Let me know if you need anymore information from me.
You're right, I should start another thread for what appears to be the same problem. For someone looking for free advice from the user community, you sure have an attitude.

Last edited by iwantmyhtpc; 01-07-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to enterpryse
Make sure you have a DCHP server and all sage boxes are on the same ethernet switch.

I gave up in WiFi with MVP FWIW

Stuart
Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttiell View Post

Just to reiterate; this is a user-to-user forum. While most of us would be happy for you to join the Sage community, we don't get any sort of compensation or direct benefit from you purchasing the product. If you want direct help from Sage, you may wantto try contacting them directly via this web page: http://www.sagetv.com/request.html

Suggesting that another thread be spawned off for a similar problem is kind of moot as well, since the admins try to push similar threads together in order to ease searching for solutions.

Back to your issue (some general thoughts):

1. The MediaMVP's are notoriously flaky for network support, both wired and wireless. They sometimes grab an IP Address from your DNS servers and refuse to let go, even if something else grabs that IP address later (or if you change your network structure). Powering down for several minutes usually helps (although in your case it didn't).

2. Is it possible that you have the hauppauge services running on another machine?

3. You may want to stop Sage on the machine you're testing with, reinstall the hauppauge services, and see if you can get the MVP to boot up. IF it doesn't work at that point, you need to contact Hauppauge support: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor..._mediamvp.html

If it works, stop the hauppauge service, and with no other machine on your network (assuming that DHCP is handled by your router), start up Sage and reboot the MediaMVP.

Hope that helps,
Stu