SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Sage User

Confused Newbie

ok, i've never owned a media extender before, let alone a SageTV unit... Just got mine yesterday and got it all set up... Bought the HD200 HD Theater, and i am rather impressed with it, but have some questions...

1.) In the FAQs, it says that a client key is included with the unit... I assume this is the key that i need to enter into the software so it is not limited by the 21-day evaluation period. I have been unable to find anywhere in the box or in the paperwork any reference to a client key. Where do i get this information so my software doesn't expire in 3 weeks?

3.) I was wondering if i could use any alternative software with my HD200 unit, such as Windows Media Center, or Media Portal. Is the unit only compatible with the SageTV Client software?

Thanks in Advance for any help! :-)

Last edited by Opus4; 12-23-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: SageMC questions moved out of this post
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Sage Icon

1) Did you check your emails from Sage when you ordered it? Seems like all the key codes are sent via email. Check any spam filter folders and such.

2) For any SageMC-specific questions, you should post in the SageMC forum, here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41 While many Sage users have MC installed, it is not "officially" supported by the SageTV people and they try to keep those questions in that forum.

3) No, you can't use any other software with their hardware (at least that is my understanding - I have not tried!)

4) Hmmm. I have no clue what to tell you on that one. What resolution are the photos? Varied? All huge/ "HD"-quality?

Good luck!

On edit: I see Opus copied the MC portion of your question (#2) over to that forum already... check over there...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.

Last edited by pjpjpjpj; 12-23-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwestness View Post
1.) In the FAQs, it says that a client key is included with the unit... I assume this is the key that i need to enter into the software so it is not limited by the 21-day evaluation period. I have been unable to find anywhere in the box or in the paperwork any reference to a client key. Where do i get this information so my software doesn't expire in 3 weeks?
Please let me know which FAQ says this so I can change it. The HD200 does not come with a license because it needs no license to be used with SageTV v6.5 and later.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Please let me know which FAQ says this so I can change it. The HD200 does not come with a license because it needs no license to be used with SageTV v6.5 and later.

- Andy
I can't find the FAQ that states this again... My HD200 is connected to my PC and when i start the SageTV software it still says that it is under a 21-Day Evaluation and give me the option to enter a key... it is version 6.5.4 that i downloaded yesterday from the website. I really don't want this to stop working in 3 weeks...
Old 12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
when i start the SageTV software it still says that it is under a 21-Day Evaluation and give me the option to enter a key... it is version 6.5.4 that i downloaded yesterday from the website. I really don't want this to stop working in 3 weeks...
Oh, you mean the SageTV server software itself, not an extender license for the HD200.

Did you buy the HD200 by itself or as a bundle with the SageTV software?

If you didn't buy the bundle, then you would have to buy the SageTV server license separately from the SageTV store.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Sage User

The unit didn't come with any software.. i didn't think i needed any additional software, i assumed when i bought the unit that it would come it everything i needed...

so once the evaluation version is up i'm going to need to spent another $80 just to keep using it?!?!?!?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Sage User

As I understand, it depends on what you want to use the extender for. Since the 200 comes with a "stand-alone" mode it should be able to play any media you can serve up to it that is supported by USB, Network, etc. If you want the advantages of the DVR functionality uses(TV Recording, scheduling, etc) then yes an additional license for SageTV is required above and beyond the $199 you bought the hardware for.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The unit didn't come with any software.. i didn't think i needed any additional software, i assumed when i bought the unit that it would come it everything i needed...

so once the evaluation version is up i'm going to need to spent another $80 just to keep using it?!?!?!?
Every page I just checked for the HD200 points out that SageTV v6.5 or later and a compatible HDTV tuner are required for recording HDTV. You can use it in standalone mode to play your media, which does not require a connection to a PC, but you need the SageTV software on a PC to record TV shows.

- Andy
Old 12-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Sage User

this is still confusing...I purchased the bundle including the license key for $249, because I was told in a previous post that if I wanted to use the hd200 only as an extender, thne server software was required.

In my confirmation email, here is a paragraph:

(NOTE: If you're using the device as a Media Extender; be sure to have SageTV V6.5 or higher. No license key entry is required on the server with the STP-HD200.)

could this be any more confusing? what do I do with this the key they emailed me? is it preprogrammed on the box??

please explain? or did I just blow $50 unnecessarily?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootler View Post
this is still confusing...I purchased the bundle including the license key for $249, because I was told in a previous post that if I wanted to use the hd200 only as an extender, thne server software was required.
I assume you're talking this bundle:
http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=

Then yes, you bought one HD200 extender and one SageTV Media Center license. You should have recieved an email with your key shortly after your confirmation email. If not check your junk/spam filters and if you can't find it contact (IIRC) orders@sagetv.com (I'm sure Andy will drop in with a link to the FAQ for that ).

Quote:
could this be any more confusing? what do I do with this the key they emailed me? is it preprogrammed on the box??
You install SageTV Media Center for Windows (or WHS):
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38009
And use the key you recieved to register it.

Quote:
please explain? or did I just blow $50 unnecessarily?
If you don't want to record TV, then yes, you did unfortunately.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I assume you're talking this bundle:
http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=

Then yes, you bought one HD200 extender and one SageTV Media Center license. You should have recieved an email with your key shortly after your confirmation email. If not check your junk/spam filters and if you can't find it contact (IIRC) orders@sagetv.com (I'm sure Andy will drop in with a link to the FAQ for that ).

You install SageTV Media Center for Windows (or WHS):
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38009
And use the key you recieved to register it.

If you don't want to record TV, then yes, you did unfortunately.
not happy..here is my previous post to which Andy replied....

going to take the plunge and order the hd200. What iam finding confusing is the licening issue for the software. i dont want to use as a pvr at this point, simply watch content from my pc onto my HDTV. Do I still need to purchase the bundle including the lates media center software, or is the hardware all I require...ps I find the site is not clear in adressing this issue...thx..

shootler
View Public Profile

If you are using the HD200 in standalone mode, there is no server software that it needs to connect to, so no SageTV license is needed for a server.

When using the HD200 as a SageTV extender, then it must connect to a SageTV server and you would need the SageTV software (with license) installed on a PC.

- Andy
Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Sage Expert

His reply is correct. You didn't need the bundle is you only wish to use the HD200 as a stand-alone media player.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Here is my take on the issue:

In the marketing material, SageTV is putting a lot emphasis on the standalone mode of SageTV HD Theater (No PC required...). And then put the requirement of optional SageTV Media Center Version 6.5 or later in a smaller size note.

IMHO, this is where the confusion came in. Somehow people read it and think they can get the PVR/DVR function of SageTV by just purchasing the SageTV HD Theater.

Technically SageTV is not at fault here, but I do think Sage could have done a better job at presenting this new product to its potential customers, who may not know much about SageTV yet.

Personally I like the old name extender better, as its primary purpose is an extension of the SageTV Media Center (PC and software). Standalone mode is really secondary for its use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HD Theater 1.JPG (33.8 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg HD Theater 2.JPG (72.5 KB, 151 views)
SageTV 6.6.2 / 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX600A/ Intel Pentium DC E6500/ 2Gb Ram/KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T/ Logitech Harmony Remote X360/ Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT (Silent)/ Winfast DTV1000T/ WD Caviar Green 808Gb HD/ Win 7 Ultimate/ Mission Cinema 7/ Denon AVR-1800

Last edited by cychou; 12-30-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
i dont want to use as a pvr at this point, simply watch content from my pc onto my HDTV.
I think this is where you (shootler) were confusing. Saying you want to "watch content from (your) pc onto (your) HDTV" sounds like you want to stream it from your PC to your TV via the extender. This is not using the PVR function per se (as you say you don't want to do), but it is using the "media extender" function.

If what you meant was that you wanted to be able to take media that you have on your PC, and throw it on a flash drive, and plug it in to the extender, then you would not need a license, and you bought one unnecessarily. But that's not how I read your post.

When you say that you want to watch media "from your PC onto your HDTV", that (to me, at least... and apparently to Andy) implies that you want to stream media from your PC to your TV, and that implies using the extender function, and that requires the software.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
I think this is where you (shootler) were confusing. Saying you want to "watch content from (your) pc onto (your) HDTV" sounds like you want to stream it from your PC to your TV via the extender. This is not using the PVR function per se (as you say you don't want to do), but it is using the "media extender" function.

If what you meant was that you wanted to be able to take media that you have on your PC, and throw it on a flash drive, and plug it in to the extender, then you would not need a license, and you bought one unnecessarily. But that's not how I read your post.

When you say that you want to watch media "from your PC onto your HDTV", that (to me, at least... and apparently to Andy) implies that you want to stream media from your PC to your TV, and that implies using the extender function, and that requires the software.

yes I want to stream, however the confirmation email states ' (NOTE: If you're using the device as a Media Extender; be sure to have SageTV V6.5 or higher. No license key entry is required on the server with the STP-HD200.)'

again, this is no clearer to me and based on the above replies, this marketing info from Sage is ambiguous at best.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
...When you say that you want to watch media "from your PC onto your HDTV", that (to me, at least... and apparently to Andy) implies that you want to stream media from your PC to your TV, and that implies using the extender function, and that requires the software.
Define "stream". You can use the HD200 in standalone mode to watch media stored on your PC. Since the entire file is not copied to the HD200 before you can watch it, the media is streaming to the HD200 from the PC. No extender mode implied, and no license required.

I think Andy answered his question accurately. Shootler said "i dont want to use as a pvr at this point, simply watch content from my pc onto my HDTV", and Andy replied "If you are using the HD200 in standalone mode, there is no server software that it needs to connect to, so no SageTV license is needed for a server". Maybe he could have been a little clearer (not sure how, though), but I think Shootler simply misunderstood his response.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Maybe there is misunderstanding regarding what it means to use the device in "standalone mode" vs. using it as a "SageTV Extender"... as a standalone device, you can play media from a connected USB drive, over a local network, or even online videos if you have an internet connection. Using it as a SageTV Extender means connecting it to a SageTV server and streaming media from that SageTV server, including recordings, if you have recorded TV shows.

- Andy
Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
yes I want to stream, however the confirmation email states ' (NOTE: If you're using the device as a Media Extender; be sure to have SageTV V6.5 or higher. No license key entry is required on the server with the STP-HD200.)'

again, this is no clearer to me and based on the above replies, this marketing info from Sage is ambiguous at best.
Ok, maybe the confusion is that the Sage TV software you bought with the extender. The software on the computer is required to be registered to be used, hence the key you received.

However the placeshifter software, and the older HD-100 extenders, requires a separate license to allow them to connect to the Sage TV computer. This isn't required with the HD200.

So if you had purchased the same package with an HD-100 you would have recieved TWO keys. One to activate the SageTV Media Center software, and one to activate a placeshifter license to allow you to use the HD-100.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Sage User

ok, so my 21-Day trial period just expired and the whole unit shut down... So I spent the $80 to buy the license key... I'm a little upset because this key was only $50 if i had bundled it with my unit 3 weeks ago... but i didn't think i needed it because of all the confusion and lack of clarity on the limitations of a "stand-alone" unit... So i guess i just wasted the extra $30 because of poor communication and explaination... Lame....
Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

In general, Sage needs to revamp it's nomenclature and website. The site is fairly confusing. When placeshifter is upgraded, it's always tough for me to find the download location on sagetv.com.

As we've seen from a number of posters, there is confusion between different license types (placeshifter vs client vs media center vs recorder) and between their different products (MVP, HD100, HD Theater; client vs placeshifter vs media center UI).

If I were designing a rational product licensing and naming system, it would be this.

Licensing: There would basically be two license types, media center, and eveything else. placeshifter = client = extender. eliminate the recorder license.

Each OS would be a variation of the product, not a separate product to select. If you clicked through to the Media Center page, you'd be able to purchase the Windows, Mac, or Linux version. They wouldn't exist as separate products. The same would go for the other software products.

"Bundle" discounts would exist on products sub-page. Having each bundle as a separate product is confusing. On the Media Center page, it would say, "save $10 if you buy a client license when you buy media center today".

Naming: I think that "client" is confusing as a standalone name. I'd call anything that could connect to a sagetv media center a client. Placeshifter would be a client. An extender (no matter which type) would be a client. The current "client" could become the "SageTV Media Viewer" or something like that.

In terms of the extenders, I didn't know that the HD Theater didn't require a placeshifter / extender license. Nice.

I'd describe it something like this. "If you'd like to use the HD Theater to view the media files that are already on a computer on the network, no additional software purchase is required. However, if you'd like to use the awesome SageTV Media Center <link> to record and playback TV as well as view your media, you would have to buy a SageTV Media Center license, which costs $79.99. In either case, the HD Theater does not require a SageTV Placeshifter / Extender license."

Here's just the list of software products in the store. It's no wonder people get confused. There are so many similar sounding products with just tiny variations in the name.
- SageTV Media Center for Windows Version 6.4
- SageTV Media Center for Windows with Placeshifter License Combo
- SageTV Placeshifter Connection License
- SageTV Client for Windows Version 6.4
- SageTV Client License for MVP
- SageTV Media Center for Macintosh Version 6.4
- SageTV Media Center for Windows Version 6 Upgrade (Requires full version of SageTV 4 or earlier)
- SageTV Media Center for Windows with Placeshifter License Combo
- SageTV Media Center for Windows with MediaMVP Client License Combo
- SageTV Media Center Version 6.4 for Linux (OEM)
- SageTV Media Center for Linux (OEM) with Placeshifter License Combo
- SageTV Client for Windows Version 6.4
- SageTV Client for Macintosh Version 6.4
- SageTV Recorder Version 1.5

Todd