SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage Expert

Sounds like a great use of a universal remote with macro. Have a Watch Hulu activity that hits power twice, then enter.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Sounds like we need to add UPnP servers to the imported video menu.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I wonder if something similar can be done to get Pandora on the extender.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Sounds like we need to add UPnP servers to the imported video menu.
I would be shocked if they aren't working on that already
Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM
SageTVaholic

This UPnP thing has me wondering what other services we could access this way. I haven't seen anything that would work with Pandora though

• SlimServer - free and does online radio. Gotta try this out soon
  • Tversity - free
  • Twonkyvision seems to support online radio although twonkyvision costs.
  • XBMC I think has a UPnP server - not sure how that would be used but I'm sure someone will tell me
  • Allegro Media Center gives access to your iTunes collection (costs)
Anything else out there that would be good to try out?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 PM

SlimServer does Pandora

SlimServer allows you to play Pandora and many other services.
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_third_party.html
Old 12-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofreynolds View Post
SlimServer allows you to play Pandora and many other services.
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_third_party.html

That's great.

I was just considering a squeezebox for hooking up our music to our main stereo (which has no TV nearby) so I checked that software out and it turns out you can install it and run it locally on my standalone NAS device (a Synology DS 106) so I have that running already and it seems pretty cool.

I did decide not to go with squeezebox, but instead to use an unused mediamvp and an unused 17 inch monitor and get an svideo to vga adapter and have sage be my music server there at the main stereo (won't be able to do the pandora thing with a mediamvp (unless they somehow add the upnp into the main sage which would be great.)

This new extender is really extending Sages capabilities many fold.

Great.
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Update Firmware!

I tried this out when I first hooked up my extender yesterday and kept getting playback errors. I have playon installed on my server which is an old athlon 64 emachines running XP.

I upgraded the firmware on the HD200 this morning and now Hulu seems to be working. I don't have time to play with it this morning since it's time to head out to work.....
Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
This UPnP thing has me wondering what other services we could access this way. I haven't seen anything that would work with Pandora though

• SlimServer - free and does online radio. Gotta try this out soon
  • Tversity - free
  • Twonkyvision seems to support online radio although twonkyvision costs.
  • XBMC I think has a UPnP server - not sure how that would be used but I'm sure someone will tell me
  • Allegro Media Center gives access to your iTunes collection (costs)
Anything else out there that would be good to try out?
Is slimserver a uPnP server?

Clients: 2 HD Extenders
Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCritical View Post
Is slimserver a uPnP server?
I installed slimserver last night (or squeezecenter as its now called). I couldn't get the HD200 to see it. I couldn't find any configuration items other than one setting where squeezecenter can search for "other" uPnP servers. Keyword "other" implies it is one but I'm not sure.

I tried playon too and got Hulu to work but like Brent, I couldn't get netflix to work. When I selected netflix the hd200 displays "empty". Hulu worked well, albeit a bit slow. Its a bit frustrating not being able to fast forward but I guess that's Hulu. Still I'm very pleased to have this ability.

Just grasping at straws but are there other uPnP servers that could be developed that would serve up web pages for instance or email or is this really just media oriented?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelm View Post
I tried playon too and got Hulu to work but like Brent, I couldn't get netflix to work. When I selected netflix the hd200 displays "empty". Hulu worked well, albeit a bit slow. Its a bit frustrating not being able to fast forward but I guess that's Hulu. Still I'm very pleased to have this ability.
I've got the same issues with Hulu through my 360 and my HR20 (not being able to fast forward). Pause & stop work great. I use it just for the occassional missed recordings and resign myself to the fact that I won't be fast-forwarding at all during that show.

Once you learn to put the remote down (other than pause) it works great.
(actually another great idea for a Watch Hulu activity - disable the fastfoward/rewind buttons so you don't accidently hit a button that'll screw up the stream.)
Old 12-04-2008, 02:06 PM
SageTVaholic

IF UPnP support was added to the SageTV mode - it should be possible to pause (on Sage) and let the program record locally for a while before starting to watch. Then you could use the Sage navigation controls to jump around. Same idea as watching live TV but starting 15 minutes into a show so that you can skip all the commercials......
Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Sage Icon

I have not tried Playon or the extender yet, but I have used Hulu to watch shows that I missed a few times. My experience has been that the picture quality was very good, but it doesn't buffer enough. I find it freezes about every 2-4 minutes during playback for anywhere from 10-60 seconds to re-buffer. Makes for a very unpleasant viewing experience.

My internet connection is Comcast Cable. I've done speed tests and consistently measure download speeds of about 10MB. So, I should have plenty of bandwidth unless Comcast is throttling when it detects streaming video from sites like Hulu...

I'm curious if others have had a better experience?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I'm curious if others have had a better experience?
I can watch an episode of Hulu with no problems. Decent picture and no stuttering or buffer issues. Seems like it could be related to the internet connection speed if you're having those types of issues - or your ISP is throttling that content???
Old 12-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wow - this is big news!

So... how does this help us get Hulu etc. onto our clients? Please tell me it opens up some magic door for us client folks.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Sage Icon

I couldn't get it to playback any hulu videos, I just get a Playback Exception error.

Now that we know it works, I hope SageTV pour some development time into making a proper support for PlayOn.

Edit: after a firmware update for the HD200, hulu plays fine.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 12-05-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Sage Expert

Playon support in standalone mode truly is amazing news. Any word on if UPnP/playon support is planned in the actual SageTV interface? (similar to how online services is available in both standalone AND SageTV mode)
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
IF UPnP support was added to the SageTV mode - it should be possible to pause (on Sage) and let the program record locally for a while before starting to watch. Then you could use the Sage navigation controls to jump around. Same idea as watching live TV but starting 15 minutes into a show so that you can skip all the commercials......
That would be interesting.. wouldn't that mean the show could be recorded and played back at a later time as well?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

What would be awesome would be to record Hulu content (and others) just like any normal TV station. Pick an episode to record and have Sage start streaming it down and recording it.

Better yet, pick a favorite series to record. Sage could check in once a day at a time the user selects (1 AM - 5AM or so) and if a new episode of any Favorites has shown up start streaming them down and recording, one after the other.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

While the idea of being able to record the Hulu content sound good - I would be concerned that we're playing with fire there and giving Hulu a reason to shut us down by breaking their terms of service. Doesn't seem worth it to me.