SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sagetv large VM usage

Has anyone seen VM usage like this during HD playback?

System is

XP sp3
2gb ram
Sage 6.4x
SageMC
Nvidia 8600 gts

server/playback on same system. ( no extender used)

System usually lists 1.0+ GB free system memory.

Please see attached perfmon screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (152.0 KB, 256 views)
Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

88 views and not one person can tell me if this is normal?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 PM
SageTVaholic

That's quite a bit higher than what I typically see. I have Sage running on a dedicated server, and I think the service process is usually eating up about 300MB of VM. I'll check again when I'm home.

Is there anything special about your setup? Do you have lots of photos or imported videos? What version of Java are you running? I think by default there's a 250MB limit imposed by the virtual machine, but you can increase it. Did you do that?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
SageTVaholic

depending on the settings for your jvm... this is normal.... or it could be abnormal.... until you provide some information on what you jvm settings are... it's really hard to tell. If you have given the Sage Server slightly less than 1 gig of memory, then over time, sage will use as much memory as it needs. I guess the real question, is whether or not you have an issue with it taking 1 gig of memory??

In linux my memory usage for just the sage server is
Virtual / Resident / Shared
708m / 139m / 13m

My jvm is set to 512m, so this seems about right to me.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
I used to have the memory usage that high, and sometimes alot higher. Until I turned on the garbage collection "allow_periodic_explicit_gc=true"

My sage handles over 22'000 songs,7 gig of photos & 90 days of imported & sage recording videos, and about 200 channels in the epg. this with many stx-100s and mvp and and since I started to use that setting ( about 4 weeks ago), I haven't restarted sage unless I was rebooting for another reason.

My heap setting is set to used 599megs in the registry.

give it a try,
Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm going to try the "allow_periodic_explicit_gc=true" setting and see what it does, thanks.

For those wondering why I care, I'm having issues with playback on the server of HD content, where the show will freeze for 1-2 minutes with a spinnining wheel.

my server is only a 1.8Ghz single core system, but I have never had these issues in the past.

When it freezes, cpu usage is fine, however sagetv.exe "i/o other" counter drops to 0
Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm not hurting for processing power, and I've done everything I can think of to build a stable, silent system.

But part of the WAF is going to be how stable the product is relative to her beloved Tivo, which has been like a rock for more than 5 years.

So knowing that I've already got a super platform that is really doing the job well, I'm looking for tuning recommendations to remove possible problems BEFORE they happen.

So look at my .SIG and you'll see what I'm running: no extenders, or NAS storage. Just SAGE on a nice, solid box. A dedicated uplink to the HDHR and an inboard PVR150 to capture the DirecTV feed.

I've got the WAD of memory I'd like to use more efficiently, though. XP has always been very stable when you can max out its memory. But I'd like to hand more of that batch over to the JVM. What aggressive settings would you recommend if I was very happy with present performance, and wanted to proactively enhance stability? Would turning on the garbage collection be wise? Etc,etc, etc.

Suggestions?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Sage User

Ditto to webwalker, in particular with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwalker View Post
I've got the WAD of memory I'd like to use more efficiently, though. XP has always been very stable when you can max out its memory. But I'd like to hand more of that batch over to the JVM. What aggressive settings would you recommend if I was very happy with present performance, and wanted to proactively enhance stability? Would turning on the garbage collection be wise? Etc,etc, etc.
Suggestions?
It'd be great if there were defined profiles such as, <Multitasking box, minimize Sage resources>, <Middle of the road mixture between Sage and possible foreground applications>, and <This is a dedicated SageTV server, with plenty of overhead, maximize Sage experience>. And/or, maybe a flavor of those profiles with <optimize for X number of max cuncurrent connections>.

How would the experts and those that've been around longer, configure JVM heapsize and gc for MAX performance/stability? Are there any other obvious tuning dials?