SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Sage User

Turning off STB / Channel Changing / Mouse Wheel

Bot an HVR-1600 with IR Blaster and have some questions (up to date with SageTV - client or basic version).

Turning off STB (my problem)
Using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200. Basic IR blaster is working fine.

Funny, the IR software provides an option under advanced to "Send Power before Channel". Now this model of STB just requires a channel change - and then the unit will power on and change to that channel. FINE.

But how do I get the STB to actually TURN OFF after a SageTV recording? Sure I am seeing the management aspects of SageTV, ( "Sleep" etc) but I am not seeing why a POWER OFF code is not being sent.

Can someone point me in the right direction. Those boxes take up a bit of power and I prefer to keep it off unless someone is using it - esp if it's only purpose is to sit in a corner and just "Record" (we watch the programs over the network so I have no use to use the PC as a TV per se).

There seems (first impression) that there is no "post recording" procedure.

Second part - on the STB I can make it go "REC" record - this ensures that (a) the volume is MAX and (b) the STB cannot be touched by merely pressing any channel code - I have to hit "OK" to abort that mode.
Do this I would need to
- Change the channel (which turns the box on)
- hit SETTINGs (brings up a settings menu)
- hit SELECT (OK?) to begin recording

I can play with this - might be a PRE-thing but ONLY for recording, but not for everyday changing the channel.

Any thoughts on this?

Channel Changing (asking why)
I noticed that when I went 'CHANNEL UP' within SageTV (Watching Mode), instead of sending what appeared to be a "UP CHANNEL" it seemed to actually change the channel ... so 123 up when "124" not "UP". A second maybe longer - not the end of the world but ...

Do I assume this is a feature - since the Cable box may have more channels than desired and because we can enable/disable within Sage, that Sage is best at "enter a new channel" instead of Channel Up?

I sort of think if you said "ENABLE ALL" and never disabled any, then UP/DOWN channel should in theory take over any "sending a specific channel" method other than for a direct record

Mouse Wheel (future enhancement)
Seen a few threads on this. Any new version should allow us to decide how to use the wheel - either for volume up / down (first impression) or for channel up/down or for moving the video FF or RW.

Thanks all
belly