SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Streaming video over internet options.

I'm looking to see what options are available to stream videos from my htpc over the internet to any pc. I have been using the built in streaming in nielm's webserver, but it's kinda annoying that files have to be played from the beginning each time and I keep experiencing drop outs that end the stream.

The features I'm interested in having are:
* adjustable quality according to available bandwidth.
* jumping to any point in video
* watching video as it's being recorded by Sage

Just from browsing around, it seems like Orb and TVersity might be able to do these. Any opinions on those?
Thanks.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

I just use the Placeshifter. I have a USB drive I carry with me everywhere that has a copy of the Placeshifter and a JRE. Like you, I wish the VLC streaming in the webserver was a bit more functional, which is why I use the Placeshifter.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I just use the Placeshifter. I have a USB drive I carry with me everywhere that has a copy of the Placeshifter and a JRE. Like you, I wish the VLC streaming in the webserver was a bit more functional, which is why I use the Placeshifter.

I agree. Placeshifter. It is the main reason it was created.....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hmm. I haven't tried Placeshifter yet. I guess I figured if it was a stand alone program, it was probably more complicated than was necessary. In my mind, I was imagining something like just a flash app that comes up in a browser and starts playing.

What does placeshifter reecode to? Can it do h264?

Also, I'm a cheap bastard and always look for the free solution first.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbacck View Post
Hmm. I haven't tried Placeshifter yet. I guess I figured if it was a stand alone program, it was probably more complicated than was necessary.
I'd say the Placeshifter is probably the easiest solution for you. It's a little less convenient to have to pop in a flash drive and open a program, rather than just opening a browser window, but I wouldn't call that complicated.

Still, it would be nice if there was a Java applet version of placeshifter. I thought Sage actually had a prototype of that long ago, but apparently nothing ever came of that.

Quote:
What does placeshifter reecode to? Can it do h264?
I think it transcodes to mpeg4 asp (divx). At least, I'm pretty sure it's not H.264. You can play back H.264 files though. It just transcodes those too.

Quote:
Also, I'm a cheap bastard and always look for the free solution first.
I think it's well worth the $30 to avoid having to set up a separate program and hack together a solution. With Placeshifter you can do almost everything you can do with a regular client (except, notably, DVD playback). That includes watching live TV, and skipping commercials (if you have comskip or SA up and running on your server).
Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I think it's well worth the $30 to avoid having to set up a separate program and hack together a solution. With Placeshifter you can do almost everything you can do with a regular client (except, notably, DVD playback). That includes watching live TV, and skipping commercials (if you have comskip or SA up and running on your server).
Another benefit of purchasing a Placeshifter license is that it's a concurrent-usage license which can be shared with the extenders (should you ever choose to go that route).